« Obama Blotter | Main | Defend Our Defenders »

December 4, 2009

Dog Walking to Be Made Mandatory

Posted by Van Helsing at December 4, 2009 7:43 AM

There's more to soft totalitarianism than forbidding things. That which is not forbidden must be made mandatory. Take walking your dog, for example. Bureaucrats can't find a reason to forbid it. Therefore, in Australia they are pushing a law to make it illegal not to walk your dog:

PET owners could be punished for not walking their dogs, under radical new laws being proposed by the RSPCA [Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals]. …
If the proposal becomes law, dog and cat owners across Australia would face prosecution, fines of up to $12,000 fines for animal cruelty and magistrates could consider jail in extreme circumstances.

An extreme circumstance must be when you don't walk your dog for so long that it lets loose in the backyard. The option of jail time for a first offense has been kept open.

Dr Hugh Wirth, head of RSPCA Victoria, is one of four experts the Federal Department of Agriculture's welfare division has appointed to draft national animal welfare guidelines.
"The draft will tell people what they have to do rather than what they want to do," Dr Wirth said.

That's Big Government's job, for which it pays itself lavishly with our money.

No doubt future legislation will cover precisely how many fire hydrants must be visited on each walk. But first new government agencies must be established to track the dog-walking habits of all pet owners.

walkingthedog.jpg
An obedient subject avoids the wrath of the State.

On a tip from Dean and Judy.

Comments

She is hot, but needs some implants. I just hope the dog doesnt pee down the back of her leg. That would be gross.

Posted by: Anonymous at December 4, 2009 7:55 AM

They have to have some way to fill their time with the job destroying liberals in charge...

If the peasants have too much time they might figure out how stupid their liberal administrations are.

Posted by: TED at December 4, 2009 8:07 AM

Look what happens when a bunch of animal rights wackos take over a nation and make stupid laws Could that jerk CASS SUNSTIEN be over there?

Posted by: SPURWING PLOVER at December 4, 2009 8:39 AM

I suppose you'd have to kill a morning at a DMV-type place to get a special exemption certificate if your dog hurt its paw and the like. And what are they proposing for cats? I doubt this goes anywhere, but it's funny to point out the moonbattery, as always.

Posted by: Karin at December 4, 2009 8:39 AM

Lucky dog.

Posted by: G at December 4, 2009 9:53 AM

Stupid bitches like the one pictured piss me off. Why the hell is the dog hanging from her ass? WALK THE DOG IT HAS 4 LEG.S WALK IT! WALK IT!!!!!

OK, thanks I feel better. People who put their dogs in purses and strollers are a major "pet" peeve of mine. No wonder more and more doggies are getting obese.

Posted by: Jenn of the Jungle at December 4, 2009 9:55 AM

So instead of the dog pooping on your private property, the state is going to demand that your dog poop on public property? This makes sense?

Posted by: TrickleUpPolitics at December 4, 2009 10:33 AM

I thought about this some more. I have 3 dogs. My back yard is fenced and I have a doggy door that lets the dog leave the house any time they want. The big dog spends a lot of time outside and running around the back yard. She gets much more exercise than she would get walking on a leash at my pace. Besides, she won't walk on a leash. The dogs can go outside to relieve themselves even when I am not home. So, the dogs don't have to "hold it" for the hours I am gone. Which is better for the dogs? I think I know the answer. Duh.

Posted by: TrickleUpPolitics at December 4, 2009 10:38 AM

What about my elderly dog? She can't walk for long periods of time. Some days she's better than others.

The real cruelty would be forcing me to walk her every day.

Obviously, the Prog fascists aren't really concerned about animal welfare; as usual, it's really about control of the individual.

Posted by: Henry at December 4, 2009 12:38 PM

>An obedient subject avoids the wrath of the State.>

How can that be? She's not WALKING the dog!

"Anonymous at December 4, 2009 7:55 AM"

She's got tits, look again.

Posted by: KHarn at December 4, 2009 1:16 PM

How would you be able to defend yourself against someone saying that you haven't been walking your dog according to dictates? Is everyone going to have to keep accounting books of their dog walking activities? Would that be enough proof against accusers?

Posted by: Kevin R. at December 4, 2009 2:26 PM

Trickleup, those dog doors with fences are fantastic, aren't they?

This is an example of an overreach that will blow back on them, and tarnish anything else they want to institute.

Posted by: Karin at December 4, 2009 2:49 PM

"Is everyone going to have to keep accounting books of their dog walking activities?"

In Californicate you'll have to buy a state approved GPS unit for the dog. It'll record date, time, and movement greater than say a 100 feet. Once a month you'll have to upload the data. Of course all pets will have to be registered.

Any breaking of these rules will get the animal taken by the child welfare... (ooops) animal welfare people (who will be working from the child welfare offices) and the malefactor prosecuted and hounded into committing suicide.

Posted by: chuck in st paul at December 4, 2009 2:52 PM

I wonder who will wear the leash and collar: Burt or Lao?

Posted by: SK at December 4, 2009 4:15 PM

That's just fine. I have to walk The Chopper every day, he makes sure of that.

Posted by: Dave at December 4, 2009 5:22 PM

12,000 in Australian dollars.
ZOMG

Posted by: I'll Get Me Coat at December 4, 2009 7:11 PM

I wonder who will wear the leash and collar: Burt or Lao?

Posted by: SK at December 4, 2009 4:15 PM

Neither, your fine ass mom. DAMN!

Posted by: Keith Uckyourself at December 4, 2009 7:40 PM

That picture will realy bother those PETA idiots

Posted by: Flu-Bird at December 4, 2009 10:14 PM

Want to make something popular?
Make it illegal!

Want to make something unpopular?
Make it compulsory!

Posted by: Keith Uckyourself at December 4, 2009 10:35 PM

Posted by: Keith Uckyourself at December 4, 2009 7:40 PM

Thank you for making a joke about my dead mother.

Posted by: SK at December 5, 2009 4:15 AM