« Michael Mann and Friends Hide the Decline | Main | Grant Bosse Announces Candidacy for New Hampshire's 00 Congressional District »

November 28, 2009

Open Thread

Posted by Van Helsing at November 28, 2009 9:17 AM

ObamaAwards.jpg
Compliments of J.

Comments

Have an Obscene Christmas!

Christmas may sometimes involve obscenities such as atheists’ continuing war against its celebration and its degradation to a greed fest and old Uncle Charlie getting looped and re-telling the dirty jokes of his youth but Christmas has never been called obscene by a clergyman. Until now.

The Right Reverend Humphrey Southern, Anglican Bishop of Repton, thinks that, “Wishing people a Happy Christmas could be seen as an ‘insult’ or even an ‘obscenity’ as not everyone is in a position to celebrate” the holy, Christian holiday.

Bishop Southern, a politically-correct prelate guiding his flock in a dying Anglican church, added a little strichnine to the sacramental wine by saying, “This is the ‘Happy Christmas’ month. Yet to many that greeting will be hollow, coming as an insult, or even an obscenity.”

Americans opt for “Merry Christmas” and “Happy New Year” but Southern’s admonition is presumably as applicable to us across the Pond as it is to Englishmen even if it is passe’ in contemporary America where the articulation of the words “merry” and “Christmas” can cause the dismissal of store clerks and correction by co-workers.

PC now dictates the use of the generic “Happy Holidays,” as if the mere mention of any reference to the reason for the season, namely the birth of Jesus Christ and, incidentally, a national holiday, is offensive.

Or, as Bishop Southern believes, it could be an insulting obscenity.

His rationale is that wishing a Happy or Merry Christmas to “a family whose father has been killed in a military operation in Afghanistan that fewer and fewer people understand (still less support)” is obscene and insulting. . .

(Read the rest at http://www.genelalor.com/blog1/?p=1345)

Posted by: Berlet98 at November 28, 2009 9:30 AM

Remember the government GDP numbers that nobody believed were accurate?

It turns out they weren't. The GDP growth was revised downward to 2.8%.

This new number is still composed of the same blend of BS, fuzzy math, pyramiding debt, and porkulus spending as the former number, albeit this new number is slightly less misleading.

Technicals:

Net balance of trade: Worse
Personal Consumption: Worse
Non-Residential Fixed Investment: Worse

(Not in the article, but still important)

Official Unemployment (U-3 Series): Worse
U-6 (Unofficial, but honest, Unemployment): Worse
Change in spread between U-6 and U-3: Worse
Consumer access to revolving credit: Worse
Small/Medium business access to revolving credit: Worse (CIT Group: Bankrupt)
Skew of unemployment claims to higher-duration brackets: Worse
Political uncertainty for business and investors: Worse

Anyone want to guess what Q4 will look like?

Posted by: Anonymous Countermoonbat at November 28, 2009 9:37 AM

Posted by: TED at November 28, 2009 9:49 AM

I heard that next year's Miss America Pageant will have Rush Limbaugh as a judge...

They did it so Obama wouldn't win that too.

Posted by: hiram at November 28, 2009 9:56 AM

Posted by: TED at November 28, 2009 10:02 AM

'This isn't the Britain we fought for,' say the 'unknown warriors' of WWII

Posted by: J at November 28, 2009 10:19 AM

OMG.

If this keeps up, 2010 will be a very bad election cycle for the Dems in Congress and other races.

I know its the Kos, but what better place to see the numbers posted.

Posted by: Oiao at November 28, 2009 10:21 AM

What a fatuous comment comment from Bishop Southern. Obviously if you know a family whose father or son one has been killed in either Afghanistan or Iraq, you don't wish them a "Merry Christmas". You say "I'm terribly sorry about the death of your loved one." If you know them well and they're people you love, you spend time with them just listening to their grief and pain and you shut the heck up. You practice one of the things that Christ did-being open to them-as much or as little as they want.
The holidays can be a very difficult time for people for a variety of reasons-deaths, illness, loss of a job, divorce, etc.. If you're a person of religious faith, you pray for them. If they are people of Christian religious faith you see if churches around them offer "Blue Christmas" servives that address grief and loss during the Christmas season and the knowledge that Christ is with us in whatever we go through.

However, people are not going to feel better if you wish them a "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" if they are in extreme grief or sorrow. I think the Bishop pharasing it in that way makes it sound like he was merely trying to make a political point rather than ministering to people.

Posted by: FenelonSpoke at November 28, 2009 10:49 AM

Chair Egobama, probably the image he congers up whenever he thinks of himself, which is quite often.

My neighbor described Obama as being the person you would sell for what he thinks he is worth after purchasing him for what he is really worth.
You lefturds, save the slavery reference, I have also used this numerous times of times to describe white people who are public figures. But, in my imagination, never would I have made this much profit.

Obama will be disappointed if that, after being in office for a couple of years he has not won every personal award known to man.

How about,
"Worst President Ever," now Jimmy Carter can leave our company in peace.
You Betcha, close the nominations, let's vote. Darn it.

Posted by: Eneils Bailey at November 28, 2009 11:24 AM

This butt biscuit is truly the Narcissist in Chief. He always reminds me of Il Duce. I can only hope he suffers a (metaphorically) similar fate.

Voting him out of office and then burying his disgraceful Administration in the back pages of history right next to his role model - Jimmah Carter.

Posted by: chuck in st paul at November 28, 2009 11:44 AM

Once again, Obama and the cronies protect there golden goose!!

Posted by: Moonbat Patrol at November 28, 2009 12:06 PM

I wasn't going to watch the speech Tuesday evening, but I think I will. I want to keep track of how many times the Narcissist in Chief says "I" or "we" or "me". Just curious how often he makes it about him and not the troops.

Posted by: UpNorth at November 28, 2009 1:04 PM

@Oiao

I'm sorry but the KOS poll is based on "All Adults". We know there are no adults at KOS so the numbers are made up to fill space on the blog.

Posted by: FreeWillie at November 28, 2009 1:29 PM

This if from the Daily Kos. Notice the conclusion it draws from the gloom and doom for Democrats. Talk about clueless!

But a bigger indicator of peril comes from a new survey question added the DK tracking poll for the first time this week. The poll now includes a rather simple indicator of baseline voter enthusiasm for the year 2010. The question offered to respondents is a simple question about their intentions for 2010:

QUESTION: In the 2010 Congressional elections will you definitely vote, probably vote, not likely vote, or definitely will not vote?

The results were, to put it mildly, shocking:

Voter Intensity: Definitely + Probably Voting/Not Likely + Not Voting

Republican Voters: 81/14
Independent Voters: 65/23
DEMOCRATIC VOTERS: 56/40

Two in five Democratic voters either consider themselves unlikely to vote at this point in time, or have already made the firm decision to remove themselves from the 2010 electorate pool. Indeed, Democrats were three times more likely to say that they will "definitely not vote" in 2010 than are Republicans.

This enormous enthusiasm gap, as well as some polling analysis done by PPP (and analyzed well here by Nate Silver), SEEMS TO MAKE PASSING LEGITIMATE HEALTH CARE REFORM AN ABSOLUTE POLITICAL NECESSITY FOR DEMOCRATS. This polling data certainly should be something for Congressional leadership to consider, as they move along the legislative path.

Yes, Kos, when 60% of the American electorate DON'T want the health care reform Congressional Democrats are trying to ram down our throats, passing it will mean that more Democrats will be elected. WTF?

Posted by: TrickleUpPolitics at November 28, 2009 1:38 PM

I never get tired of good photoshops and I got a good laugh out of this one. In 2 weeks he accepts his biggest award of all. I hear he's taking humble pie classes to get ready. I don't think we'll hear anything about ocean's receding. He'll do his best impersonation of humbleness.

Speaking of humbleness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRngam8QN4w I just made it, but the previous video to this one on the state dinner is interesting.

Posted by: Granny Jan at November 28, 2009 1:57 PM

hit this link; it's very funny, especially for fans of the ongoing Hitler video series

Peer review at the Climate Research Center

Posted by: mega at November 28, 2009 2:17 PM

Granny Jan,
I made it through the video, it took two bottles of Puke-A-Stop.
You Betcha, I see him, I either puke or go into sudden drizzly diarrhea shits, Darn it.

Posted by: Eneils Bailey at November 28, 2009 2:24 PM

George Washington - The first President.
Bill Clinton - The first black President.
Barrack Husein Obama - The first Mac Daddy President.

Posted by: Eneils Bailey at November 28, 2009 2:51 PM

What he deserves to win is a BET Lifetime Achievement Award. He is the most entertaining clown that I have ever seen. Very scary though.

Posted by: Alton at November 28, 2009 3:15 PM

Obama’s Personal Physician Friend Was a Marxist, Too

Posted by: J at November 28, 2009 3:21 PM

J,
Obama proves once again that the creatures most influential in his past and still re-occurring are weird units of of dubious beliefs in political systems that have further crippled the third world.

It still astounds me that people had no desire to know the slightest about this person and refused to accept the fact he had no experience and refused to believe what had been exposed about his past.
It is amazing what a little "white guilt" and a teleprompter can do.
You Betcha, Where the hell are his Greek columns, Darn it.

Posted by: Anonymous at November 28, 2009 3:42 PM

Give Gays an Inch . . .

It’s probably normal for people who feel they were oppressed to take advantage of situations to make their case at the first opportunity. The homosexual community has been cashing in and is gleeful in shoving its sick lifestyle in the face of America ever since it gained a modicum of acceptance.

Case in point is “American Idol” loser, self-outed gay boy, Adam Lambert.

Last Sunday, ill-content with a certain popularity, he chose to strut his gaiety before some 14 million television viewers, including countless children, on national television at the American Music Awards.

In classic exhibitionist fashion, “the gay, glam rocker” Lambert felt he was so free of the shackles of his closet that he could plant a big, wet one on a male keyboard player. He was so feeling his oats that he later went into “a pelvis thrusting” routine and pushed another male performer’s head deep into his crotch.

He must have thought he was doing his act in West Hollywood for a Perez Hilton review rather than on ABC.

He subsequently appeared on rival CBS’ . . .

(Read the rest at http://www.genelalor.com/blog1/?p=1346)

Posted by: Berlet98 at November 28, 2009 4:07 PM

@ Berlet98 at November 28, 2009 4:07 PM

Still can not marry in CA. Voted No to Marry in Maine. NJ cooling to the same.

Gays throwing tizzy fits (how small of the overall population are they?

I think all those published 'Peer Reviewed' papers about how wonderful being Gay is for the rest of us should be reviewed, now that we know that Science is just Politics for the Democrats.

Posted by: Oiao at November 28, 2009 5:22 PM

I have to say, this tickles me pink. Well done BNP!

Posted by: Rob Banks at November 28, 2009 6:00 PM

Cheney On The Ballot In Massachusetts

Or so it seems. Democratic Representative Mike Capuano is running in the Democratic special primary for Ted Kennedy's Senate seat. While running against numerous other high-profile Democrats, such as Attorney General Martha Coakley, Capuano has put Dick Cheney at the center of his campaign strategy.

===

BCDS.

Posted by: SK at November 28, 2009 6:24 PM

What Is The Frankfurt School (And Its Effect On America)? by Dr. Gerald L. Atkinson CDR USN (Ret.)

'Cultural Marxism' and 'critical theory' are concepts developed by a group of German intellectuals, who, in 1923 in Germany, founded the Institute of Social Research at Frankfurt University.

The Institute, modeled after the Marx-Engels Institute in Moscow, became known as the Frankfurt School [3].

In 1933, when the Nazis came to power in Germany, the members of the Frankfurt School fled to the United States. While here, they migrated to major U.S. universities (Columbia, Princeton, Brandeis, and California at Berkeley).

These intellectual Marxists included Herbert Marcuse, who coined the phrase, 'make love, not war,' during the anti-Vietnam War demonstrations.

Posted by: SK at November 28, 2009 6:33 PM

As a conservative and American I understand the humor in this cartoon, however, given his pathetic performance concerning our military I find the wearing of military medals, especially the Medal Of Honor, insulting and unrelated to his "accomplishments" even in a cartoon. May I suggest a "redo" and replace the military medals that have been awarded to our brave troops and replace them with girl scout and boy scout merit badges, he would rate ALL of them of course?

Posted by: Bean at November 28, 2009 6:52 PM

Posted by: Teleprompter Jesus at November 28, 2009 8:14 PM

95 Year Old WWII Battleship Sailor Tells OBAMA to "Shape Up or Ship Out.

This venerable and much honored WW II vet is well known in Hawaii
for his seventy-plus years of service to patriotic organizations and causes
all over the country. A humble man without a political bone in his body,
he has never spoken out before about a government official, until now.
He dictated this letter to a friend, signed it and mailed it to the president.

Dear President Obama,

My name is Harold Estes, approaching 95 on December 13 of this year. People meeting me for the first time don't believe my age because I remain wrinkle free and pretty much mentally alert.

I enlisted in the U.S. Navy in 1934 and served proudly before, during and after WW II retiring as a Master Chief Bos'n Mate. Now I live in a "rest home" located on the western end of Pearl Harbor, allowing me to keep alive the memories of 23 years of service to my country.

One of the benefits of my age, perhaps the only one, is to speak my mind, blunt and direct even to the head man.

So here goes.

I am amazed, angry and determined not to see my country die before I do, but you seem hell bent not to grant me that wish.
I can't figure out what country you are the president of.

You fly around the world telling our friends and enemies despicable lies like:

" We're no longer a Christian nation"
" America is arrogant" - (Your wife even
announced to the world,"America is mean-
spirited. " Please tell her to try preaching
that nonsense to 23 generations of our
war dead buried all over the globe who
died for no other reason than to free a
whole lot of strangers from tyranny and
hopelessness.)

I'd say shame on the both of you, but I don't think you like America, nor do I see an ounce of gratefulness in anything you do, for the obvious gifts this country has given you. To be without shame or gratefulness is a dangerous thing for a man sitting in the White House.

After 9/11 you said," America hasn't lived up to her ideals."

Which ones did you mean? Was it the notion of personal liberty that 11,000 farmers and shopkeepers died for to win independence from the British? Or maybe the ideal that no man should be a slave to another man, that 500,000 men died for in the Civil War? I hope you didn't mean the ideal 470,000 fathers, brothers, husbands, and a lot of fellas I knew personally died for in WWII, because we felt real strongly about not letting any nation push us around, because we stand for freedom.

I don't think you mean the ideal that says equality is better than discrimination. You know the one that a whole lot of white people understood when they helped to get you elected.

Take a little advice from a very old geezer, young man.

Shape up and start acting like an American. If you don't, I'll do what I can to see you get shipped out of that fancy rental on Pennsylvania Avenue. You were elected to lead not to bow, apologize and kiss the hands of murderers and corrupt leaders who still treat their people like slaves.

And just who do you think you are telling the American people not to jump to conclusions and condemn that Muslim major who killed 13 of his fellow soldiers and wounded dozens more. You mean you don't want us to do what you did when that white cop used force to subdue that black college professor in Massachusetts, who was putting up a fight? You don't mind offending the police calling them stupid but you don't want us to offend Muslim fanatics by calling them what they are, terrorists.

One more thing. I realize you never served in the military and never had to defend your country with your life, but you're the Commander-in-Chief now, son. Do your job. When your battle-hardened field General asks you for 40,000 more troops to complete the mission, give them to him. But if you're not in this fight to win, then get out. The life of one American soldier is not worth the best political strategy you're thinking of.

You could be our greatest president because you face the greatest challenge ever presented to any president.

You're not going to restore American greatness by bringing back our bloated economy. That's not our greatest threat. Losing the heart and soul of who we are as Americans is our big fight now.

And I sure as hell don't want to think my president is the enemy in this final battle.

Sincerely,

Harold B. Estes

When a 95 year old hero of the "the Greatest Generation"
stands up and speaks out like this, I think we owe it
to him to send his words to as many Americans as
we can. Please pass it on.

NO, you won't find reference to this on snopes.com. Would you really expect too!?

Posted by: TED at November 29, 2009 12:08 AM

Google joins ClimateGate (dis)information fray? [krakatoa]

Kate at Small Dead Animals notices a peculiar thing when searching Google for things like "climategate", "climate hack", or "climate emails".

It used to be, up until yesterday, when beginning to type those queries the drop-down helper would show the list of most searched items. Yahoo has a similar feature. Go ahead and try both in Yahoo and Google, and you'll see the difference.

UPDATE: Google now shows "climategate" in response to typing "clim". 10.6 million responses, and for some reason Google's algorithms lost it.

Posted by: SK at November 29, 2009 6:52 AM

What the global climate con-artists need now is a new "scientific" study complete with new data and a new method to conclusively prove that anthropogenic global warming is happening, and is worse than had originally been thought.

They will have it.

Posted by: Fiberal at November 29, 2009 8:36 AM

The Swiss have overwhelmingly voted for the banning of construction of Islamic minarets on the tops of mosques.

I'm off to buy some swiss cheese, chocs and a cuckoo clock.

Posted by: Arch Conservative at November 29, 2009 9:54 AM

Adam Lambert and the Culture of Gay

I previously posted an article titled, “Give Gays an Inch . . . ” primarily dealing with the gay exhibition by Adam Lambert on the telecast of the “American Music Awards.”

Since then, I have been accused of everything from being a bigot, a homophobe, and, the most unkindest cut of all, a closet homosexual.

I would like to enter a guilty plea to two of the above accusations, as long as we get our definitions correct.

If I am a bigot because I felt Lambert’s performance on the “AMA” went far beyond the pale of normal, public, human behavior–even for “entertainers”–and for that violation of common decency and propriety Adam Lambert should be denounced, then I am guilty of bigotry.

If I am a homophobe, a popular gay mistranslated euphemism for one who fears and/or despises those of the the gay persuasion, because I believe homosexuals have been running amok in America, then I am guilty of homophobia. And proud of it.

If I am in the closet, I just hope . . .

(Read the rest at http://www.genelalor.com/blog1/?p=1347)

Posted by: Berlet98 at November 29, 2009 10:04 AM

Bishop Southern is apparently just one more of many apostate Church of England bishops and priests. Clergy like this are frauds. The C of E is full of death and decay. Ichabod.

Posted by: Ken S at November 29, 2009 4:29 PM

"TED at November 29, 2009 12:08 AM"

A friend sent me that in an e-mail with pictures. It made me want to punch a Liberal for him!

Posted by: KHarn at November 29, 2009 5:23 PM

For the old gentleman, that is. He has done quite enough fighting and should only inspire others now.

Posted by: KHarn at November 29, 2009 5:25 PM