« Sometimes the Good Guys Win | Main | Open Thread »

November 21, 2009

National Lampoon Inspires Nationalized Healthcare Propaganda

Posted by Van Helsing at November 21, 2009 11:17 AM

You take inspiration where you can find it. This 1973 National Lampoon cover…

national-lampoon.jpg

…may have inspired a particularly shameless ObamaCare ad of the "what about the children" variety:

Give up your freedom, your money, and your top-flight healthcare or an innocent child will be made to pay!

If viewers pause to think, they will soon realize that the odds of children enjoying better healthcare after corrupt, authoritarian, and incompetent bureaucrats have seized control of the industry are remote. But it's easier to feel than to think.

On a tip from John L.

Comments

Sometimes parody comes far too close to the truth!

Posted by: Mr. Right at November 21, 2009 11:28 AM

I saw that comercial last night. After I got my mouth closed I wondered if people are really that stupid to think someone could lose their house because their kid broke her leg. Then I remembered the Yugo and the ad campaign that eschewed they won the one lap of America race.
I have allways loved that magazine cover.

Posted by: czuch at November 21, 2009 11:29 AM

As a matter of interest, I went to Sen. Mary Landrieu's site to dash of a quick email telling her how I felt about her quid pro quo vote (i.e. Louisiana gets $100 mil, she votes yes on Obama-care). I'd recommend you do, too: http://landrieu.senate.gov/contact/index.cfm

Her email thing has a little drop down "subject" menu. The first ten or fifteen subjects are called "hot topics" and guess what ISN'T there? Correct. Even in "regular topics" it comes up only as "Health". Not healt care or health insurance...just "Health".

Almost like she'd rather not talk about it. YA' THINK? (Vote "NO" on health care, or we'll kill this dog!)

Posted by: Wyatt's Torch at November 21, 2009 11:30 AM

By the way, czuch...you said (as many have) "broke HER leg". The little metro-sexual person is a "he". I hope he hates his douche-bag parents for turning him into "that girl in the commercial". Maybe the kid will freak out, rebel and become a conservative. Poetic justice!

Posted by: Wyatt's Torch at November 21, 2009 11:34 AM

It's always a zero-sum game to these morons. I have to give up something so this child can have something. BS.

I saw a world class stupid bumper sticker just a bit ago - "Live simply so others can simply live". So I should go live in a cave and that will improve somebody's life... how exactly?? I shoud ride a bicycle instead of my beautiful Town Car and that will improve the lot of those in Nigeria... how exactly?? If I reduce my lifestyle I buy fewer and lesser things thus unemploying or under employing many people. And this improves their lives how exactly...?? Morons have one dimensional thinking in a three dimensional world and I am so-o-o-o-o-o tired of listening to it.

Posted by: chuck in st paul at November 21, 2009 12:07 PM

Did she say a year from now? Sorry but this stuff doesn't take affect until 2013. The taxing in the bill will start immediately. If momma and daddy lose their house it will be because of higher taxes taking more of their income.

Posted by: Rick at November 21, 2009 12:21 PM

Where's the clip of a little girl saying, "If Obamacare passes, your taxpayer dollars will help fund my own abortion so I won't be alive to make this film."

Posted by: J at November 21, 2009 12:27 PM

Good point, Rick.

Posted by: Judith M. at November 21, 2009 12:51 PM

I deserve to not pay for it, kid. I have my own kid to worry about. Go ask your parents to provide for you.

Posted by: forest at November 21, 2009 1:09 PM

Even if these stories were true, the parents did not have a job or Health care, you would have to be the dumbest person on earth if you did not know you would still get the best health care in the world.
They are trying to equate no health care, no job, equals no treatment. Liars.
These parents should be ashamed of themselves.

Posted by: Eneils Bailey at November 21, 2009 1:09 PM

Posted by: Rick at November 21, 2009 12:21 PM

Right. And that's the thing, huh. If this passes there is a certain % of people in this country that will then immediately begin showing up and demanding to be served in hospitals and dr's offices and such. Imagine the mess.

------------------------------------------

Posted by: J at November 21, 2009 12:27 PM

Excellent. Also the ad where the kids are saying X-many years from now I'm still paying on that healthcare bill my great-grandparents' generation inflicted on us ... and I have a brain tumor and have to wait 6 months to see the doctor and get tests and surgery done to save my life. Thank you, Obama, Pelosi, Reid, and cheap political whore Mary Landrieu.

Posted by: drillanwr at November 21, 2009 2:07 PM

"it's easier to feel than to think."
Perfect. Should be the official DNC slogan.

Posted by: Schaefermeister at November 21, 2009 2:47 PM

What a despicable thing to do, to exploit young kids to spout off propoganda for Obongo care.

I don't have children and I don't want to pay for another persons child. Having children is a "choice", not a right, neither is healthcare, affordable housing or a job.

We do have a right to stay out of other folks lives and stay out of their way so they can prosper and be as successful as they wanna be.

Why do liberals always have to play the poor little children game?

Posted by: Annie Oakley at November 21, 2009 3:14 PM

God I need to spell check.

Posted by: Annie Oakley at November 21, 2009 3:15 PM

More using children for the Dims to push their socialistic agenda.

Thing is, the poor and the elderly already have government provided health insurance providers.. Medicare and Medicaid... not to mention SCHIP, and they're BROKE! How is total government "healthcare" going to help? The country is broke now and is diving into debt faster than a homeless junkie that grinds up fabrege eggs and smokes them. How is America supposed to prosper (without totally raping the taxpayer) and pay for this? Lao? GoW? Anyone?

Posted by: Atomic Lib Smasher at November 21, 2009 4:15 PM

I thought the thieves in congress had already transferred billions of dollars to increase S Chip to cover children of parents even making $75,000. What ? we have to cover Bill Gate's kids too?

Posted by: Bruce Pierce at November 21, 2009 4:51 PM

I used to have that Lampoon as well as several others. Like the 4-boobied woman. Or was it 6?

I love the EIB Kids parody. Great palette cleanser.

Posted by: Corona at November 21, 2009 5:37 PM

Posted by: Annie Oakley at November 21, 2009 3:15 PM

Use Firefox. It has one built in.

Posted by: SK at November 21, 2009 6:30 PM

Any time I meet a liberal who has a job (rare, I know), I find it hard to understand how they can bitch and moan about health insurance and "zomg the poor get ravaged every day."

I respond by saying...

"You have a job and health insurance. Notice the connection there? Job... insurance... job... insurance. Allow jobs to flourish and health insurance comes with the territory. Also, you are proof that all you need is a job. So how about you tell those lazy pricks to get a friggin' job and stop bitching and moaning for you and I to pay for all their handouts. I don't understand how you can be so stupid that you personally took on a job and are advocating for your earned money to be taken from you (and I) BECAUSE you have a job, only to be given to those who don't work to provide for themselves. Sounds to me like working is for chumps... you prove my point that liberalism is a mental disorder."

Liberal stupidity (redundant, I know) just seems to reach new depths.

Posted by: Anonymous at November 21, 2009 6:35 PM

Why do liberals always have to play the poor little children game?

Posted by: Annie Oakley at November 21, 2009 3:14 PM

That's because young minds are easier to shape and form. They use the innocent to reach out to the stupid.

Posted by: Dave at November 21, 2009 6:56 PM

Dave, I want to make that into a tee shirt:

Using the innocent to reach the stupid.

That's classic.

Posted by: Wyatt's Torch at November 21, 2009 11:06 PM

"Anonymous at November 21, 2009 6:35 PM"

Exelent come-back!

Posted by: KHarn at November 22, 2009 8:02 AM

A boy, huh. Well imagine my surprise.
Little dunce. Smug little dunce. Have a nice time paying for all the mistakes your stupid lackey, koolaid swillin loser sperm/egg doners eventually end up costing you. When you figure out life and dont want "utopia" lemme know.
Really, a boy. HUH.