« Morning Briefs: Stuff You've Probably Already Read Somewhere Else | Main | Al Gore Exploits Envirofascism for Fortunes »

November 3, 2009

Does this look like hate to you?

Posted by Gregory of Yardale at November 3, 2009 6:39 AM

Hat tip: Hot Air

You could argue that it's actually the left's insane hatred of Glenn Beck that is being mocked here. I think that's a stretch, but it's plausible. But let me ask this: If wishing Death on Glenn Beck is okay because "it's just humor, it's just 'The Onion,'" then why is it "hatred" and "racism" for Rush Limbaugh to play 'Barack the Magic Negro?'

Comments

I really think they were making fun of the left's hatred of Beck. But I don't know. The Onion is pretty even keeled with it's satire.

Posted by: Paul H at November 3, 2009 7:03 AM

Funny how the left's VILENESS is indirectly proportional to Hussein's drop in approval rating isn't it? ;-))

Posted by: TED at November 3, 2009 7:07 AM

I agree with Paul on this one. The onion is pretty centric.

Posted by: CiDhed at November 3, 2009 7:14 AM

I concede it's plausible that they are mocking the hate the left has for Glenn Beck, which still makes it an appropriate Moonbattery post if the deranged hatred of the left has become worthy of ridicule.

Posted by: Gregory of Yardale at November 3, 2009 7:18 AM

I am gonna defend the Onion on 2 counts.
1. They are utilizing the doctrine set forth via the microphone of gold by the Prophet Rushimo Limbaughio, "Illustrating absurdity by being absurd".
2. Based on my expert analysis of the video I actually found it informative of the ways that a goodly number of libs actually feel about the Beckster.

I actually find ONN as fairly neutral. They pick on everyone.

Posted by: Frank W at November 3, 2009 7:18 AM

I really do think it's a satire of the left's obsessive hatred of Glenn Beck. If they were mocking Beck there would be so many other funny ways to do it. This parody is directed at the MSM.

Posted by: kraki at November 3, 2009 7:23 AM

I agree. ONN is mocking the Left and their pathetic hatred and obsession with Glenn Beck.

Posted by: SK at November 3, 2009 7:53 AM

I find the fact that all of you are willing to defend the Onion for this kind of humor really sad and disappointing. Pretend mourning for an honor student who, as one of the commentators said, wasn't a "f*u*c*k-faced Mormon who deserved to drink herself to death" is hardly an amusing way to refer to an alleged "honor student". And describing an honor student as someone who hated Glenn Beck and slipping in mockery of religion is pathetic and UNFUNNY. Surely there was a way to mock the left's hatred of Glenn Beck without denigrating grief for a child.

Posted by: TrickleUpPolitics at November 3, 2009 8:24 AM

I may be wrong, but I don't think an honor student by the name of Rebecca Bunten was actually killed in a car accident, TrickleUP. The Onion doesn't usually report actual things that happen to unknown people.

Posted by: Judith M. at November 3, 2009 8:37 AM

I would love for someone to take that exact video, and replace Beck with POS Obama. Let's see how THAT plays out!

It shouldn't make ANY difference at all right? Someone do it and lets shove their hypocrisy and bullshit right back in the collective stupid faces!

Posted by: R985wasp at November 3, 2009 8:41 AM

Posted by: Judith M. at November 3, 2009 8:37 AM

I agree. When a person in one of their "stories" isn't a celebrity, they're always fictional.

Posted by: Seamus at November 3, 2009 8:43 AM

No, it looks pretty funny.

But Van Helsing's open thread photoshop of the Obama family portrait does look like hate.

Feel free to compare.

Posted by: Anonymous at November 3, 2009 9:29 AM

Goatse thinks wishing for Glenn Beck's death is funny.

He also has said he thinks Medea Benjamin is hot.

Feel free to compare.

Posted by: Anonymous at November 3, 2009 9:40 AM

The ONN's sports department recently had a similar "news story" entitled "Fatal Staples Center Collapse Brings Merciful Early End To Clippers Game."

Nothing wrong with a little black humor, IMO, as long as the intent is humorous, rather than malicious.

Posted by: Reasonable Guy at November 3, 2009 9:51 AM

Hey Trickleup,
I did a quick (google, bing, yahoo, and ASK) search for "Rebecca Bunton & crash" before I posted. None of the search engines responded with anything in their top ten pages with any Non Beck related finds.
I am unable to state with (scientific, legal, accounting, or medical) certainty that this story is not capitalizing on the misfortunes of an honor student, but within the realm of more than one working brain cell (personally I am not committing to many more than one), (here comes the Peoples Court law school) it is a reasonable conclusion that there is a preponderance of evidence to assume that the story is filled with fictitious details and is intended as parody.

However, I would love to see the response if ObiBamma had been interchanged with Beck. (Thanx to R985wasp for the warm fuzzy chuckle, thinking of that brings)

Posted by: Frank W. at November 3, 2009 10:16 AM

®

Copy and paste as needed.

Posted by: OregonGuy at November 3, 2009 11:10 AM

Like i said on the youtube video, even though the past 20 or so onion videos have been awful, i've remained a subscriber of the Onion on the off chance they would say something funny. That ended today. Not that they shouldn't be allowed to make videos mourning Beck's survival- especially if it's a joke- I just don't want to watch content like that.

Posted by: Schaefermeister at November 3, 2009 11:54 AM

I remember one of the ONN videos that had an actual anorexic on to promote a fake 'get thin' diet plan.

Posted by: SK at November 3, 2009 1:34 PM

I like good satire regardless of at whom it's aimed.

Posted by: I'm A Lasagna Hog at November 3, 2009 2:09 PM

The only way that benjamin ho could ever be close to "hot", is if you burned her at the stake.

Posted by: Jake at November 3, 2009 2:25 PM