« Open Thread | Main | Chairman Zero Tries to Raise $500,000 to Attack Sarah Palin »

November 24, 2009

Progressive Leftists and the Wisdom of Twilight Fans

Posted by Gregory of Yardale at November 24, 2009 7:06 AM

A progressive leftist group called "Answer" is based at Rutgers University and is devoted to the cause of promoting teen promiscuity. "Answer" produces a magazine called "Sex, Etc" aimed at teenagers. It is distributed in public libraries over the objections of parents. Answer's websites includes a comic strip called "I Am Horny" about a frustrated bisexual girls as well as quizzes on orgasms and oral sex aimed at kids 12 and up.

Answer justifies their cause by saying, “teens are responsible decision makers.”

Consider that sentence for a moment.

"Teens are responsible decision makers?" Really? Then, why is the drinking age 21? There's something severely detached from reality in people who believe that “teens are responsible decision makers,” but adults cannot be allowed to make their own health care decisions.

Also, how is it liberals argue on the one hand, "Teens are going to have sex anyway, so we should accommodate them by giving them all the information they want," but on the other hand, "Smoking is harmful, and so we have to do everything possible to discourage teens from smoking." This includes making cigarettes difficult to obtain and severely restricting tobacco advertising. But birth control and pronography are freely available. (The American Library Association fought tooth-and-nail against pronography filters.) Are the health consequences of smoking worse than the consequences of STD's or unplanned pregnancies?

Liberals use television and film to encourage politically correct attitudes on environmentalism, racial attitudes, animal rights, and whatever other cause is trendy. Many loftily claim that the got into the media business in order "to make people think," or even, "to change the world," because they think their words and images can create messages that affect behavior; they sell billions in advertising based on this theory. Yet, at the same time, they insist that saturating media with adolescent sexual imagery has no effect on teenage behavior. You're not allowed to depict a Muslim as a terrorist, or a black man as a criminal because they claim that imagery would affect people's attitudes. But they can show teenagers and twenty-somethings having promiscuous, consequence-free sex and claim it won't influence people's behavior.

Because “teens are responsible decision makers.”

Right.

sp_0805_13_v6.jpg
Teenagers are responsible decision-makers.

In a related story, a pervert in Wisconsin turned his apartment into a pronographic shrine to underage girls. And why not, if indeed "teenagers are responsible decision-makers," then why should there be anything wrong with creeps fetishizing them.

Comments

As the father of a 17 year-old and a 13 year-old, both smart kids, I can testify that human beings in the "twixt 12 and 20" age-range are entirely responsible and knowledgeable proto-adults capable of making irrevocable life choices without the slightest parental supervision and real adult input based on experience, reason and prudence . . . (NOT).

Actually, I don't know many 21 year-olds who are thus capable (though they may think they are)!

Posted by: jc14 at November 24, 2009 7:54 AM

Hey now... I'm 22, college educated (Computer Science: Cybersecurity, in the standard 4 years), and am full-time employed in a position that I don't necessarily enjoy but I refuse to be a parasite.

Unlike the other punks my age (friends included), I have a natural inclination to be a productive member in society because I support MYSELF and nobody else should bear my burden. I am responsible for myself and, if I become unemployed (took awhile to find this job to begin win), would be willing to accept nearly any job to subsist myself.

Granted, I do still live with my parents because, on the wage I currently earn, I am not fully capable of affording housing on my own. But, on the other hand, I am saving ALL my money because I plan on moving at some point (zomg, 22 and thinking about the future?!?!, heck, I was planning back when I started college) and know that my responsibilities in the future will be based on my fiscal management NOW.

Posted by: AmericanToTheCore at November 24, 2009 8:07 AM

Correction...

Should say "took awhile to find this job to begin with" ***

Posted by: AmericanToTheCore at November 24, 2009 8:08 AM

You don't have to defend yourself, AtC, there are always exceptions to the general rule. In fact, it sounds like you are more or less confirming the that most of your friends are still not ready to take on adult responsibilities.

As for Twilight fans, I wish they'd follow Edward Cullen's lead and wait for marriage to have sex. Why is it that the REALLY important message from these films are ignored?

Posted by: Judith M. at November 24, 2009 8:26 AM

Responsible decision makers!? Of course we know that is BS. They know it to, what they want are pregnant teens dependant on the state. Responsible decision makers DO NOT VOTE DEMOCRATIC!

Posted by: TED at November 24, 2009 8:46 AM

I thought this organization's name rang a bell, as far as it being a taxpayer-funded pet project.

Yep, one of the usual suspects, Henry Waxman (Moonbat-CA) has turned this into one of his pet projects.

The views of this organization make it useful to Waxman, who has relentlessly crusaded to sexualize children, as part of his agenda to counter out-of-touch abstinence only programs with more out-of-touch programs, but with a slant more acceptable to his base.

Posted by: Anonymous Countermoonbat at November 24, 2009 11:24 AM

UH-HUH,and that's why unwed teen pregnancy, unwanted babies, mothers unwilling to be moms and fathers unwilling to be dads is at an all time high.
Won't ake long to turn the USA in SOMALIUSA

Your government at work creating bondage one liberal at a time.

Posted by: Had it up to here :/ < at November 24, 2009 11:31 AM

This is crazy. No teen is a responcible maker of choices. I for one have no issue with the teen knowing the information and having all the data, infact i encourage it. But they still need responcible guidance.

On that note no data should be cencored from the adult public and if people want to promote sex they should not try to negate the draw to smoking.

i find libs crazy a 12yr old is old enough to make adult choices but an 18yr old is to young to join the military. What a load of crap

Posted by: BooleanLogician at November 24, 2009 1:35 PM

Congratulations, ATC.

We need more like YOU!

Posted by: Ianto Cooper at November 24, 2009 1:39 PM

Posted by: hey you guys at November 24, 2009 9:10 PM

A few years ago a husband and wife proffesors from RUTGERS preposed movies the people out of the plains states and returning it to uninhabited wilderness something these cracked urns FRANK & DEBBERA POPPER called THE BUFFALO COMMONS a crazy idea from a couple of crazies

Posted by: SPURWING PLOVER at November 24, 2009 9:31 PM

(Me, andy42302 and Ghost of Wellstone saw it three times. We braided our hair back at my place and listened to Cher.)

That explains much about these (ahhh) Individuals. In that the best part of them dripped down their Mommas leg.

Posted by: Unicorn Fart at November 25, 2009 8:19 AM