« Open Thread | Main | Suicide Tributes to Pederast Creepazoid »

July 7, 2009

Banana Coffins

For anyone who doubts that the environmental movement is completely bananas:

Casket makers catering to natural burials have offered biodegradable coffins made of such materials as recycled newspapers or cardboard. Ecoffins USA, based in Montrose, Colo., is selling caskets made of banana sheaves.
They take six months to two years to biodegrade.
Marketing director Joanna Passarelli says the company sold $40,000 worth of banana-sheaf or bamboo coffins to funeral homes last year. …
Passarelli contends the bamboo and banana coffins, made in Asia, are better for the environment than the cremation process.
Her interest in ecofriendly coffins grew after her son's school showed the movie "An Inconvenient Truth" in which Al Gore warns of climate change. Her son came home wondering why he should bother with homework if the world would be destroyed.
"I said if everybody did one little thing it would have a snowball effect," she said.

Here we have the environmental craze in a nutshell: morbid, delusional, smugly self-righteous, and extravagantly wacky. I wonder if the Chicoms snicker while they build us our banana sheaf ecoffins.

Hat tip: The Blogprof.

Posted by Van Helsing at July 7, 2009 8:53 AM

Comments

"Her son came home wondering why he should bother with homework if the world would be destroyed."

This is sick. These people need to be stopped before they destroy our civilization.

I don't really give a hoot about the damned banana leaf coffins, but it's deeply disturbing that some kid wants to give up on life because of some deranged propaganda pushed on him at school.

Posted by: forest at July 7, 2009 9:10 AM

WHAT? What kind of neo-nazi, right wing, religious nutcase school was her son attending that he had to do HOMEWORK?! I'm appalled to learn that kids are required to do homework in Colorado! How caveman are those damn rethuglicans? /sarc

Posted by: Eric at July 7, 2009 9:13 AM

And kids giving up is exactly what leftists want. Achievers have power and confidence even as kids. That's bad news for liberals, so they like to break the kids down and make them weak. Perfect subjects for submission to big government "solutions".

Posted by: forest at July 7, 2009 9:14 AM

Many states require vaults, so the biodegradable coffin (not to mention the embalmed contents) is somewhat moot.

Posted by: Viking04 at July 7, 2009 9:25 AM

I think this is a great idea. Put the liberals back in their husks. Far too many of their husks are empty right now.

Posted by: Jay Guevara at July 7, 2009 9:40 AM

Talk about an empty husk. What a stupid thing to talk about and worry about. Don't want a banana coffin? Don't buy one!

Posted by: Anonymous at July 7, 2009 10:02 AM

No, comrade, it's a great idea. Convince liberals that the world is doomed, partly because of their existence, and that they should exit forthwith in a banana husk. That'll select for the genetic detritus (roughly 52% of the population) that clogs society today.

Posted by: Jay Guevara at July 7, 2009 10:50 AM

Hey, maybe they could cross-market with Banana Republic! Just a thought...

Posted by: Jay Guevara at July 7, 2009 11:27 AM

Whats next for these back to nature freaks cofins made from recycled eco=freaks

Posted by: SPURWING PLOVER at July 7, 2009 11:44 AM

Maybe Kavorkian had the right idea....

If we could get the liberals to start "practicing what they preach" most of them would be out of our hair and not ruining the country anymore.

Just imagine how fast we could fix things if Gore Pelosi Reid Sharpton and the rest "gave up" and visited Doc Kavorkian.

Ya'knaow to lead by example....

Posted by: Michelle at July 7, 2009 1:17 PM

Oh, Anonymous and his ilk ALWAYS say that whenever we post anything lighthearted on here. Liberals are always sour, dour, and have those two wrinkles between their eyebrows. Anonymouse, sometimes we like to come here for a laugh.

Posted by: Karin at July 7, 2009 1:35 PM

Talk about an anonymous dumbass. What a stupid thing to talk about and worry about.

Posted by: Liberty Forever at July 7, 2009 1:50 PM

I don't need a banana coffin, I need a hammock fro my banana, if you know what I mean

Posted by: eat me at July 7, 2009 2:27 PM

"No, comrade" Yes, my insistence that your focus on banana coffins is stupid definitely makes me a Commie.

"the world is doomed" Who cares what their selling tactic is? Do you buy that the world is doomed? Then why give a rat's ass about this?

"That'll select for the" So now party affiliation is genetic? Interesting.

"we post anything lighthearted" yes, Kervorkian is hilarious, I'll give you that.

I think maybe the kid was less traumatized than the article pretended and just found a new twist on "the dog ate my homework"

Posted by: Anonymous at July 7, 2009 5:12 PM

"What a stupid thing to talk about and worry about."

Exactly what I'm saying. I didn't post this idiotic thing, you did.

Posted by: Anonymous at July 7, 2009 5:23 PM

"What a stupid thing to talk about and worry about."

Exactly what I'm saying. I didn't post this idiotic thing, you did.

Posted by: Anonymous at July 7, 2009 5:23 PM

Yes, and you posted three times on this one, this apparently pointless 'idiotic' thing. It would appear that you just need to go get laid, let off some of that pressure that is building up inside you. And we don't need to know gender, species, left or right.

Posted by: Viking04 at July 7, 2009 6:15 PM

These eco-freaks are always comming up with the most stupid and rediculous ideas and liberal bootlicking journalists are always taking these crack-pots seriously

Posted by: Flu-Bird at July 7, 2009 9:15 PM

"Don't want a banana coffin? Don't buy one."

-Anonymous

how about this: don't like the content on Moonbattery? Don't come here.

Posted by: mandible claw at July 7, 2009 11:50 PM

I admit I am sort of with the moonbats on this one. I don't understand the obsession with trying to preserve an empty vessel after I die. My wish for my body is that any organs still usable, unlikely, are to be used for transplants, the rest for med students to practice on, or to observe the effects of chronic drinking. When they are done, scatter the ashes and move on. I don't see anything wrong with a cheap bio-degradable coffin, but I see plenty wrong with spending tens of thousands on a coffee can that will be buried.

If my loved ones were to spend all that money at my funeral, it should be on a kick ass wake in memorial of me.

Posted by: fozzy at July 8, 2009 2:53 AM

Posted by: fozzy at July 8, 2009 2:53 AM

"think maybe the kid was less traumatized than the article pretended and just found a new twist on "the dog ate my homework"

Posted by: Anonymous at July 7, 2009 5:12 PM"

I doubt it. Even grown-ups are so traumatized by global warming hype we are dangerously close to passing cap and trade into law.

We are going to tax the shit out of air! This would have been a punchline to a joke 25 years ago, but now it's real thanks to global warming propaganda.

So, yes, I think the kid was actually scared by the filthy movie.

Posted by: forest at July 8, 2009 5:10 AM

I'm with you, Fozzy. I don't want that kind of money spent. Gone is gone. Ashes to ashes, back to God.

Posted by: Karin at July 8, 2009 5:24 AM

Oh yes a BANNANA COFFIN and all the monkeys will dig you up and eats your coffin

Posted by: turu the terrible at July 8, 2009 7:33 AM

"how about this: don't like the content on Moonbattery? Don't come here."

Its always funny to me that this site screams for attention, but when it comes in the form of disagreement, the above is always one of the responses.

So, how about one more incarnation: Don't like disagreement? Don't post idiotic opinions online for all to see.

If you do want to share though, as its clear you do, don't be surprised when others don't always see eye to eye with you on hard hitting topics like banana coffins.

Doubtless someone will come along now and say: "Can't you liberals laugh at anything?" To which I say whole-heartedly Yes! There's plenty that's funny and stupid to be found in banana coffins ... so how about making it funny, instead of trying to make a victim of a child who doesn't want to do his homework?

Posted by: Anonymous at July 8, 2009 9:56 AM