« Private William Long Versus Tiller the Baby Killer | Main | Patriots Out-Protest Socialized Medicine Astroturfers in Seattle »

June 2, 2009

Inexperienced Youngster Put in Charge of Dismantling GM

This should come as no surprise, considering our boy president was installed in office without having any serious credentials:

It is not every 31-year-old who, in a first government job, finds himself dismantling General Motors and rewriting the rules of American capitalism.
But that, in short, is the job description for Brian Deese, a not-quite graduate of Yale Law School who had never set foot in an automotive assembly plant until he took on his nearly unseen role in remaking the American automotive industry.
Nor, for that matter, had he given much thought to what ailed an industry that had been in decline ever since he was born. A bit laconic and looking every bit the just-out-of-graduate-school student adjusting to life in the West Wing … Mr. Deese was thrown into the auto industry's maelstrom as soon the election-night parties ended.

Deese's automobile experience consists of sleeping in his car in the parking lot of a Pontiac plant on his way to Washington.

brian-deese.jpg
The kid in charge of the auto industry.

Hat tip: Gateway Pundit, on a tip from Burning Hot.

Posted by Van Helsing at June 2, 2009 8:20 AM

Comments

This is just like when Bush put Michael Brown in charge of FEMA, but you won't here anyone on the left say so.

Posted by: Gregory of Yardale at June 2, 2009 8:26 AM

Well, I wish him good luck. Mabye he'll allow his decisions to be influenced by capitalism and the free market. Or as close as you can get to it.

Posted by: conservativeteen at June 2, 2009 8:32 AM

C'mon, this post is there just to piss me off! Right?
Or make me laugh my ass off!
I have nothing against J.C. Penny's but somebody take this dork aside and tell him about the tie and the suit. Send him over to Sy Syms if $$$ is an issue (until those payoffs start rolling in). Better yet, call his mommy so that when she dresses him in the AM she can pick out some other colors.
Gees, if your going to piss my money away and give 1/2 of it to the UAW, try looking like a thief instead of a NASA engineer for God's sake. Rent 'The Godfather' or a few episodes of the Sopranos.
And lose that fuckin beard!

Posted by: Shooter1001 at June 2, 2009 8:58 AM

Remember folks, this is the "best and the brightest" we were promised by this administration. This is par for the course for Obama. Why have a business leader with experience running large manufacturing companies (if not auto companies exactly) in charge of dismantling GM, when an academic with no practical experience will do just as well? Theory is good enough; practical experience just clouds your judgment. The only way this makes any sense is if the Obama administration has no intention of actually reviving GM and getting the government divested of its investment in a private company, which given his fascist leanings sounds exactly right to me. A real business leader might actually succeed in making GM a viable stand-alone company again, and we can't have that, now can we?

If I had wanted an ownership stake in GM, I would have bought an ownership stake in GM via the stock market (or though debt instruments). I did not do so, and neither would anyone else, simply because GM is a horrible investment. And thanks a lot, government, for dumping $30 billion into GM "to keep it out of bankruptcy" and then taking it into bankruptcy anyway, when anyone with two eyes and two brain cells could see that bankruptcy was the only reasonable course of action to take!

I place this blame on both parties (or both sides of our now one-party state, as it were), Bush and Obama, and the host of incompetent, corrupt, statist fools the American people made the poor decision to put in charge of their future. We already voted with our wallets that we had no confidence in GM or its crappy cars, or for that matter Chrysler and its even crappier cars. But that only carries weight if you believe the free (-ish) marketplace works. Obama believes only state control works, ignoring the mountain of evidence to the contrary, and so here we stand, holding the remains of two failed automakers in hands rubbed raw from reaching into our pockets over and over again. But remember, children, that the important thing is not that the taxpayers got fleeced (again), but that the unions got theirs and the financiers (bondholders) got screwed.

I vow that I will never again buy a new GM or Chrysler product so long as the American government retains an ownership stake in either company. I urge all Americans, and those in other countries where their products are sold who favor free markets, to do the same. Our votes at the ballot boxes have failed to carry our wishes to our leaders, so we must once again vote with our wallets. And the doubters in government will know the power of capitalism, as they drown in a sea of red ink, while car buyers stay away in droves.

If you wish to support the American auto industry and still protest government ownership, the following "foreign" manufacturers also build cars in the United States (they may still import some of their models): BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, Nissan, Subaru, Mercedes-Benz, Mitsubishi, Honda, and Hyundai. Ford, of course, not only is still privately owned (well, publicly traded, but not government owned), but never took any bailout money either.

Posted by: CoderInCrisis at June 2, 2009 9:04 AM

What CoderInCrisis said.

Posted by: Oiao at June 2, 2009 9:06 AM

What CoderInCrisis said goes for me also.

And to Shooter's point, this dork needs to lose that tie. It's a fire hazard.

Posted by: Jay Guevara at June 2, 2009 9:33 AM

my cat is older.
and smarter
and loves mousey!

Posted by: furballz at June 2, 2009 9:46 AM

What Coder says.

I have a BMW built in South Carolina, thus keeping hard-working Americans in their jobs building a quality product. There is absolutely no reason to support the statist nonsense by buying a GM or Chrysler. They failed because they make low quality crap, and that will certainly not change under government ownership.

Posted by: mega at June 2, 2009 10:04 AM

I'd feel better about this guy if he'd at least run a lemonade stand as a kid.

Posted by: Jay Guevara at June 2, 2009 10:30 AM

Hey Gregory, let me modify that a little bit. "This is just like when the American people put Barack Obama in charge of the United Sates, but you won't here anyone on the left say so."

Posted by: MikeNC at June 2, 2009 10:33 AM

The death of GM is a foregone conclusion anyway, it doesn't matter who is in charge. Obama knows this and doesn't want to waste real experience on something that isn't going to benifit him. It isn't cars, or banks or businesses Obama is after, it's land, and subjucation. His subjucation cannot be attained without breaking the backs of any and all big businesses. UAW skull crackers will make excellent ODSF (obama domestic security force) skull crackers. Watch for him to target the next big union business soon. Unions are socialism in action, he has to get their support. Then will come the land grabbing, military dismantling, and constitution reconstruction. All the while tax rates and living costs will explode and minority favoritism will be greatly expanded. He knows EXACTLY what he is doing.

Posted by: Eric at June 2, 2009 11:08 AM

Why, when I read this story and saw the photo, was I instantly put in mind of former NJ Governor, Jim McSceevey's choice to head NJ's homeland security department?

Posted by: Restoration1776 at June 2, 2009 11:47 AM

well on a positive note, it is likely this kid has no income tax avoidance issues since this is most likely his first real job.

His inexperience fully qualifies him for the Romper Room administration.

Posted by: IOpian at June 2, 2009 11:56 AM

Restoration,

I wish this jerkoff kid was analogous to McGreevy's appointment as NJ Homeland Security chief.
That Israeli guy turned out to be McGreevy's homo lover and that was the end of that scumbag asshole McGreevy!
Not that Corzine is any better, he's not gay, I don't think? Who knows?
But if this geek is Obama's 'boy', it could be his undoing. We'd have to hear how his sex life is none of our business etc etc. before he'd be forced out though.
Obama does have that almost 'pretty' look about him? I wonder.......

Posted by: Shooter1001 at June 2, 2009 12:23 PM

Could they've gotten anyone who at least sold cars as a young man? Sheesh!

Posted by: Nathaniel M at June 2, 2009 1:35 PM

"As for this kid, WTF? Seriously, WTF? A 31 year old punk whose only job was working as an assistant to an assistant under Clinton? That is the best Obama could do? That is the top person in the United States to turn around a key industry that the government will pump $100 billion into by the time all is said and done? Ridiculous."

Not really ridiculous when you think about it. I agree with Eric. Dear Leader doesn't give two shakes about GM in the long run (and remember, he doesn't WANT to have to be in charge of an auto company, but...) so why should he bother with anyone remotely qualified? He'll save the big guns for the issues he actually wants to do something about. And who knows? Maybe this guy is more qualified than we think (somehow). We don't know anything about him yet. Not that I'm holding my breath or anything. But I'm sure as hell not looking directly at that tie, that's for sure. It's blinding.

Posted by: Murff at June 2, 2009 1:58 PM

[[He resumed his policy work there, and found himself stuck in Chicago — unable to fly to Washington with his dog — as the economic crisis deepened. Finally, one night, he decided to get into his car with his dog and just started driving back to Washington. Tired, he pulled over to catch some sleep in the car.

“I slept in the parking lot of the G. M. plant in Lordstown, Ohio,” he recalled. The giant plant, opened during G.M.’s heyday in the mid-1960s, is where the Pontiac G5 is produced. Under the plan Mr. Deese worked on when he arrived in Washington, Pontiac will disappear.

“I guess that was prophetic,” he said, shaking his head.]]

GM Lordstown, Oh. is just s few miles down the road from me. And while I grew up watching the auto unions in this area become fatter and more selfish and stupid (even my own Dad was an auto worker union member who held his nose and voted for Obama and still believes in the democrats are for the working man ... and Santa Clause lives ... and grumbles about this shit as he watched his GM retirement stock become fish shit at the bottom of the economic swamp) I just want to invite Brian Deese to come back to Lordstown and talk to the people in the Mahoning Valley who are beyond sick and tired of the government fucking-over this area after endless promises during campaigns to end the fucking-over, especially from democrats. Come back, Brian Deese, and this time stay awake. You may NOT have noticed in that parking lot ONLY American made autos were parked ... foreign cars are not permitted, GM prefered.

These people continue to 'feel our pain' but do NOT share the same central nervous system the rest of America runs off of.

I'm so damn sick of this shit right now I can't even rant thoroughly ...
I'm sorry, but I think the only damn hope for change is a fucking asteroid right now ... soon!

Gimme a damn beer.

Posted by: drillanwr at June 2, 2009 3:28 PM

Why am I not surprised? This is sooooooo common nowadays in Federal government it's not funny!

I work in a Federal job (DoD) with a bunch of 20-somethings, fresh out of school who are given the best jobs. Many of them temp jobs, neverless not all. They are paid almost as much as I am ... and I (like them) have a Master's degree, except I also have 15 yrs experience in my field. My biggest concern tho is the plum work assignments are all going to these kids, I am usually assigned work nobody else wants to do. (I do make lemonade outta my lemon tho!)

When I got offered my job (I was about to be laid off from another), got offered at GS-11 and was told by a friend with long Federal experience that was a good place to start.

But there is one other person (person A) in my office with a GS-12 (starting salary, 2 yrs out of school) and another (person B) started at GS-13 with 4 yrs out of school. Both have also Master's degree. Person A is female, very cute and young, and very thin. Person B is female, very cute and young, very thin and black. I am female and white, but 58 and fat, not so cute any more.

THEY get to tell me what to do, and my long-term experience and excellent job skills (including SAS programming) get treated as if they are nothing special, despite being essential to the job. My programming skills are far superior to those two, that's for sure!

(On that thought... I AM looking! but I'd prefer to stay with Feds if possible, not much out there otherwise).

Posted by: Ex-bat at June 2, 2009 4:50 PM

is he potty trained? that seems to be the only prerequisite for this admin.

Posted by: nancz at June 2, 2009 6:51 PM

Coder, you are right on the money. My Nissan truck was built in Smyrna Tennessee. It has 99,000 miles and is still going strong.

This is the 3rd Nissan I've owned. My last one died at 281,000 miles.

GM makes shit cars. When I was in college I had several GM cars and they nickled and dimed me to death in repairs.

Until GM starts making a better car here in the good ole USA I'll continue to buy Nissans.

Posted by: Janet at June 3, 2009 9:18 PM