« Pelousy's in a Tailspin Over Phony Waterboarding Scandal | Main | Black Woman Fired by Racists »

May 14, 2009

Phony Soldier Was Mental Patient

Yet another Vet against America has turned out to be a fraud — but at least "Rick Duncan" has the excuse of being officially insane:

The leader of a statewide veterans group who fought for homeless veterans in Colorado Springs was in the Denver County jail on Wednesday, unmasked as a former psychiatric patient who posed as a wounded Marine officer and 9/11 survivor.
Federal authorities are looking into whether Rick Duncan, whose real name is Richard Glen Strandlof, could have pilfered money he raised in the name of Colorado veterans, said Daniel Warvi of the Colorado Veterans Alliance (CVA), the group that Duncan founded. …
Strandlof, 31, who invented the name Duncan and claimed he was a former Marine captain and 1997 graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy, never served in the military and falsely claimed that he was in the Pentagon during the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, the group said. …
The group said it found that Strandlof had been a patient in a mental hospital in Washoe County, Nev., at the time of the roadside bombing in Fallujah, Iraq, that he claimed left him severely wounded.

Strandlof apparently made off with $25,000 he raised during a charity event. Like other fake vets, he's quick to denounce the military in which he never served:

Strandlof often spoke of his mistreatment by Defense Department officials, saying they dragged their feet on giving him a disability retirement.

Strandlof is a member of the phony moonbat cults VoteVet and Iraq Veterans Against the War. An all purpose progressive, he takes part in other do-gooder crusades, with typical thuggish righteousness:

Last year, Strandlof drew headlines in Colorado Springs … by threatening to sue the city unless it suspended city-sponsored cleanups of homeless camps that Strandlof claimed were victimizing veterans.

He also appeared in TV ads for Democrat congressional candidate Hal Bidlack, who ran as a retired Air Force officer.

But don't call him a phony soldier. That could get you denounced by Senate Democrats.

rick-duncan.jpg
"Rick Duncan" — phony as Obama's flag pin.

On a tip from son of a preacher man. Hat tips: This Ain't Hell, Teh Resistance Blog, Michelle Malkin.

Posted by Van Helsing at May 14, 2009 12:18 PM

Comments

I don't claim to be a war hero, but I would like to kick him in the nuts!

Posted by: KHarn at May 14, 2009 1:51 PM

Can he be tried for treason?

Posted by: Watching at May 14, 2009 2:05 PM

I expect several anonymous comments will follow shouting out the "chickenhawk" argument (i.e. you can't criticize phony soldiers unless you actually fought in Iraq)... never mind the irony of gutless anonymous commenters attacking others for cowardice.

Posted by: V the K at May 14, 2009 2:12 PM

Let's hope that the US Attorney is on him pronto, Stolen Valor Act, Impersonating an Officer, then I hope that they make sure that he gets to spend his time at the Leavenworth. What an honor-free slug.

Posted by: Viking04 at May 14, 2009 2:15 PM

Typical. A mental patient, a dissembling liar, and a thief. The only mystery is how the Dems missed him as a candidate for office. He's a natural!

Posted by: Jay Guevara at May 14, 2009 2:21 PM

can't send him to Leavenworth - he wasn't in the military

think he'll use the insanity defense??

Posted by: blue at May 14, 2009 2:52 PM

I hope I run into him some day. That would be sweet.

Posted by: Corona at May 14, 2009 2:58 PM

Blue:

I was referring to the Leavenworth Federal Pen, not the Disciplinary Barracks. I should have made my statement more clear. I like the irony of the wanna-be having his sorry carcass sent to a place called Leavenworth. In a perfect world, I would choose the brig at Quantico, again, in a perfect world, as he would not 'qualify' for that location.

Posted by: Viking04 at May 14, 2009 3:29 PM

Poor little liberals, nothing ever fits their agenda and they have to produce these major lies daily. One would almost feel sorry for them....NOT!!! 8-)

Posted by: TED at May 14, 2009 4:41 PM

there may be some empty cells in Gitmo

Posted by: blue at May 14, 2009 5:16 PM

He's not a mentally ill thief and liar - he was obviously "Swift Boated!!"

You're right, Jay - don't know how the Democratic Party missed his natural abilities as a candidate.

Posted by: TonyD95B at May 14, 2009 5:47 PM

Strandlöf is a swedish name, so he's probably a swedish socialdemocrat, they're both insane, liars and thieves.

Posted by: ! at May 14, 2009 9:46 PM

I spent 22 years in a Navy uniform. I was never shot at nor did I have to shoot at anyone. Those who were and those who did, I hold in high esteem. "Wannabes" who just pretend to be real soldiers piss me off, to them I say, if you want to play soldier, then go sign up an d do it for real. You may find it is not such a bad life.
However, politicaly motivated POSs like this Standlof clown really get me spun up. He should tied to a steak and burnt.

Posted by: Bill S at May 17, 2009 4:55 AM