« Michael Moore Delighted to See America Sliding Toward Socialist Authoritarianism | Main | Obama Regime Pushes Political Censorship »

April 2, 2009

Making a Living in America's Most Liberal City

After decades of Democrat rule in the country's most liberal city, the progressive objective of rolling back civilization is nearly at hand. Glemie Dean Beasley supplements his skimpy Social Security check by hunting raccoons amid Detroit's post-capitalist ruins and selling the pelts and meat. Crows the urban huntsman:

This city is going back to the wild. That's bad for people but that's good for me. I can catch wild rabbit and pheasant and coon in my backyard.

Detroit once had a population of nearly 2 million, and was arguably the capital of the industrialized world. Now, it's like something out of a Mad Max movie. Yet the nation has chosen to follow its lead into the abyss of liberal nihilism we know as moonbattery.

Glemie-Dean-Beasley.jpg
America's progressive future on display in Detroit.

On a tip from Joe from the Great Democrat Paradise of Michigan.

Posted by Van Helsing at April 2, 2009 8:20 AM

Comments

Really? Linking a story that over 4 years old? That hard up for factual news. While Detroit has been in dire straits for a number of years, you fail to mention the Republican leadership in the House for ill advised decisions over the years. Most liberal city my ass! I happen to live here and I can assure you it is not.

Posted by: Anonymouse at April 2, 2009 8:48 AM

San Fran is the country's most liberal city, of that there can be no doubt (followed closely by Berkeley; Boulder, CO; and Madison, WI). There can also be no doubt that Detroit has gone from manufacturing giant to a crumbling, rusted out shell under decades of Democrat rule. Maybe they didn't cause it, but they sure as hell didn't stop it.

Posted by: CoderInCrisis at April 2, 2009 8:51 AM

I was under the impression that San Francisco was the most liberal city in the U.S.

Posted by: Adam at April 2, 2009 8:52 AM

I'm not sure that guy's sigh is Politically Correct.

Posted by: Uncle Tom at April 2, 2009 8:57 AM

It seems like kind of a reach to me to connect Glemie Dean Beasley's taste for coonflesh to liberalism...after all, isn't the collapse of Detroit's economy more closely connected to the market than to liberal policies? American car companies have been outmaneuvered by their foreign competitors, thus the cities that depended on them for sustenance are now being roamed by varmints. The invisible hand at work. Pass the coon stew.

Posted by: Alpine McGregor at April 2, 2009 9:12 AM

According to the Bay Area Center for Voting Research, Detroit is the most liberal city in America (based on voting patterns).

Posted by: Jay Guevara at April 2, 2009 9:19 AM

If you want the rest of the country to look like Detroit, just pass the card-check legislation that Obama seeks to pay-back his shady union-leader supporters with.

In today’s world, if someone else is willing to do what you do for less, you’ve got a problem. There's simply no way to force employers to pay you more than what you’re worth over the long run, as the company will be destroyed by competitors with labor purchased at the market rate.

The gangster methods and ludicrous job rules of the UAW only worked for the short term benefit of a few, as the company, workers, and country all lose out as the enterprise is bled white. If you want to earn more money, you better obtain a marketable skill… the days of $50/hr for putting hubcaps on Cutlass Supremes is long, long gone.

When Reagan pushed the unions back, 20M jobs were created, and real GDP grew 30%. So who does the UAW help? Not American industry or workers-With card-check, union goons can show up at your doorstep at 10pm to “ask” you to join the union. And guess what? You WILL sign- lol

Like most of Obama’s leftist proposals, there’s no precedent to suggest restoring union power will help the country as a whole- it’s historical revisionism, at best. The UAW has been nothing but a tumor on the neck of the free-market capitalist system… and look what it got us.

Posted by: Reaganite Republican Resistance at April 2, 2009 9:21 AM

Detroit has had one-party, far left Democrat rule since the 1960s. And yet the trolls still blame Republicans for its decline.

Did Republicans raise city taxes? No. Did Republicans run the city services that went to Hell? No. Did Republicans increase the size of the city bureaucracy even as the population fell in half? No. Did Republicans create a city bureaucracy that requires a business to file 350 permit applications with 11 separate city agencies?. No. Are Republicans responsible for the anti-business, pro-union environment in Michigan? Only partly.

It *was* a liberal Republican, Governor Bill Milliken, who instituted the Progressive Single Business Tax ... a genius idea by which even businesses that lost money were taxed... that all but strangled the Michigan economy. But Milliken was part of the Rockefeller-Snowe-Specter wing of the party. Not a conservative.

Posted by: V the K at April 2, 2009 9:31 AM

I lived there in 1989 and thought that it looked like Beirut. I can only imagine what it looks like now. I remember that Mayor for life boasting about how his building demolition project was way ahead of schedule. I left after 10 months.

Posted by: OMB at April 2, 2009 9:32 AM

I hear you, Reaganite. In the midst of a severe recession, I am trying to choose between three job offers. Why? Because I am skilled, educated, and willing to move to where the jobs are. Where would I be if had stayed in Michigan and put my destiny in the hands of union thugs?

Posted by: V the K at April 2, 2009 9:34 AM

Lest anyone forget, this is the city government our anonymous left-wing troll doesn't think is all that liberal. (Is the the Rouge River or De Nile that runs through Detroit?)

Posted by: V the K at April 2, 2009 9:39 AM

Once I can sell my house and not totally lose my shirt I am getting the hell out of MI.

Anony please enlighten me on all the wonderful things Granholm has tried to do the last 6 years that has been undermined by republicians in the state house. Besides the same tired tatics all democratic politicians keep on trying, wanting to raise taxes and cut defense(state police).

Posted by: son of a preacher man at April 2, 2009 9:52 AM

son of a preacher man, you forget Jennie-baby's "cool cities" initiative? Remember that? Remember that genius idea? Give cities and towns million dollar grants and call themselves "cool cities" so all the hipsters would relocate to Detroit and Jackson and Ionia and supercharge Michigan's economy?

How did that work out?

And then, there's the whole "green jobs" scheme. Which also doesn't seem to be going that well.

Posted by: Gregory of Yardale at April 2, 2009 9:58 AM

At least the coons are fresh.

Posted by: 7he7th7rumpet at April 2, 2009 11:48 AM

I'm sorry but hahahahaha!

Seriously, though, this whole Chairman Zero situation is getting more than a little ridiculous.

Posted by: SK at April 2, 2009 12:45 PM

Has anybody ever eaten raccoons, squirrels possum, groundhogs etc.? I heard they taste awful. I don't even like venison or any red meat for that matter.

My daughter has a friend whose parents are China and he's been there on several occasions. We've all heard jokes about Asians eating cats and dogs -- well, some do, but he said it's mostly the poorer people who do -- the same individuals in the U.S.A. who would eat (you guessed it) raccoons, squirrels, etc.

Posted by: MST at April 2, 2009 1:03 PM

I have eaten raccoons, squirrels & opossum in the past. Not because we were poor but because it was part of the skill of hunting and trapping I learned that you don't waste what you kill.

They are a bit 'gamey' in taste but not bad, IMHO. Not something I would have every day, though.

Posted by: SK at April 2, 2009 1:08 PM

Squirrel pie is pretty tasty. Of course, you want rural squirrels, not the dumpster diving rats-with-fluffy-tails from the city.

Posted by: cowlove at April 2, 2009 1:37 PM

Gregory,

What you mean to tell me a bunch of yuppie "hipsters" with all their lovely progressive notions didn't jump at the chance to move into a shitty area to help revitalize the community?

Posted by: son of a preacher man at April 2, 2009 1:37 PM

Anonymouse said, primly:
"you fail to mention the Republican leadership in the House for ill advised decisions over the years."

Can you give us something specific? And can you answer those who answered you back? You scoff at a 4 year old article, but it's much much worse now. And that's with solid Democratic control of the congress.

Posted by: Karin at April 2, 2009 1:44 PM

The squirrels in my yard are nice and plump from eating all my tulip bulbs over the winter :-(

Posted by: MST at April 2, 2009 2:29 PM

MST, even an air rifle will send them scurrying for a few days...

Posted by: cowlove at April 2, 2009 4:36 PM

Well, first let's start with the State Senate which is Republican led, and the Democrats hold a slim margin of 6 seats. Blocked by Republicans was a transportation bill that would have provided both the city and outlying areas with competent workers, both Houses intend to revisit the issue this year. Under horrible and disgraced Mayor Kilpatrick, the the final plans and efforts went through for the Riverfront property venture and facelift, and the continued improvement of casinos and the law and safety jobs to allow their growth. Furthermore, I only give Gov. Granholm a c+ since she took office, her unconvincing delivery to Speaker Andy Dillon has resulted in dismal results. Just outside of Detroit is Redford Township, which is Democratic, has seen a boost in development. For those of you who have lived here, I would be happy to argue details with, for those of who have not... shut up! Detroit's woes are deeper than most of you know. The city has long been plagued by corruption, and the State House is full of partisan bickering.

Posted by: Anonymous at April 2, 2009 5:40 PM

Any place that is "plagued by corruption" was usually plagued by Democrats first.

Posted by: V the K at April 2, 2009 6:49 PM

Also, anonymous has to point to a place outside of Detroit as an example of a place that's doing better. Hey, things aren't as bad in Grand Rapids, Traverse City, or Ann Arbor either, but that doesn't change the fact that Detroit is a one-party Democrat shithole, and Jennie Granholm's "cool cities" idea was retarded.

Posted by: V the K at April 2, 2009 6:51 PM

Oh man, that's awesome.

Posted by: cowlove at April 2, 2009 7:06 PM

As for squirrels,you cover the bulbs with small rocks so they don't dig them up.And you can dust the area with cayanne pepper.Now let me see oh yes Detroit. Even New Yorkers(the city)have respect for Detroit.Is it tough yes, are we tougher Hell yes!Most of you milk drinkers wouldn't last 30 days no how about 30 hours with out a wet nursemaid.i am in the process of moving out of the city proper after 15 years.Mostly because my friends have moved on to other opportunities.Or ones that will become available when Obama Gets traction on his recovery plan.So you gots to axe yourself a question .Do you want to give to your fellow man in an orderly fashion?A christian fashion?Or at the point of a weapon wielded by the hungry poor!

Posted by: 5dollarcat at April 2, 2009 8:31 PM

Anonymous at April 2, 2009 5:40 PM, that's some funny junk, man.

Posted by: Anonymous at April 2, 2009 8:37 PM

Could that just possibly be because Michigan couldn't afford to build the transportation system in question? You know, cost vs. benefit and all that. The benefit that might accrue to something has to be set against its cost. I could get to work a bit faster with a Testarossa, but not enough faster to justify the (ahem) price.

I hate to bring up such abtruse concepts to liberals, but there it is.

Posted by: Jay Guevara at April 2, 2009 9:43 PM

I can not stop laughing after seeing that picture

Posted by: Ramonna at April 2, 2009 11:31 PM

This guy is probably going to regret all the publicity he is getting. He will be attacked by all of the governemnt bureaucrats. Does he have the proper licenses to conduct a business? Is his property zoned for selling meat? Did the FDA inspect his meat processing facilities? More importantly to our government overlords, is he paying taxes?

Posted by: Bruce Pierce at April 3, 2009 4:01 AM

As my dad said once, do think a state whose main source of income that comes from the auto industry is going to allow major public transportation to be set up in that state. The UAW would move against it just as much as the big 3.

Posted by: son of a preacher man at April 3, 2009 9:25 AM