« Congress Passes Obama Youth Bill | Main | Government Demands Power to Absorb Major Corporations at Will »

March 25, 2009

Human Achievement Hour

This weekend, the homes of luddite idiots will be easily identifiable by their darkness, as liberal Kool-Aide–guzzlers switch everything off in honor of Earth Hour. If they can get enough people to turn off their lights, moonbats might temporarily achieve their dream of making America look just like North Korea:

north-korea_dark.jpg

A more constructive use for your time would be to celebrate Human Achievement Hour:

This week CEI [the Competitive Enterprise Institute] announced the creation of Human Achievement Hour (HAH) to be celebrated at 8:30pm on March 28th 2009 (the same time and date of Earth Hour).
Our press release described ways people might celebrate the achievements of humanity such as eating diner, seeing a film, driving around, keeping the heat on in your home — all things that Earth Hour celebrators, presumably, should be refraining from. In the cheekiest manner, we claimed that anyone not foregoing the use of electricity in that hour is, by default, celebrating the achievements of human beings.

Moonbats see "Earth Hour" as a "global election" — basically, a referendum on whether civilization is good or bad. Like all things environmentalist, it is moronic to the point of self-parody, but you might as well cast your ballot by turning all the lights on. There's more than enough darkness in the world.

Hat tip: Michelle Malkin, on a tip from Burning Hot.

Posted by Van Helsing at March 25, 2009 7:58 AM

Comments

I still have those one-per-window Christmas/winter lights up. I'll turn those on to be a beacon for the achievements of humanity.

Posted by: Karin at March 25, 2009 8:22 AM

Only the no growth flat Earth eco-Marxists (Mark Levin;s term) would view this as "an achievement".

Posted by: Atomic Lib Smasher at March 25, 2009 8:32 AM

As I did last year to celebrate this, EVERY light in my home will be on for this hour.

Posted by: keepthechange08 at March 25, 2009 8:36 AM

Me too - count me in!! EVERY LIGHT

B r a i n D a m a g e

An elderly man suffered a massive heart attack.
The family drove wildly to get him to the emergency room.

After what seemed like a very long wait,
the ER Doctor appeared,
wearing his scrubs and a long face.

Sadly, he said,
"I'm afraid he is brain-dead, but his heart is still beating."

"Oh, Dear God," cried his wife,
her hands clasped against her cheeks with shock!

"We've never had a Democrat in the family before!"

Posted by: TED at March 25, 2009 8:49 AM

seriously, how do any of the above comments make sense. Even if you don't agreee with global warming theory, how is a push to conserve electricity a bad thing? Saying "yeah, I'm gonna use as much as possible" purely out of spite seems stupid. Using less electricity is cheaper, for you and the country, and means we send less money to Saudi. How is that a bad thing? Since when were efficiency and thrift tenets of the 'eco-Marxist' conspiracy?

Posted by: Ben at March 25, 2009 9:02 AM

I wonder if I can rent a nice, bright searchlight for the occasion?

Posted by: Rob Banks at March 25, 2009 9:09 AM

Awesome LOLZ there, keepthechange!

Posted by: David Waldman at March 25, 2009 9:20 AM

I have this old set of photography lights my father used own. There are 4 massively bright lights - almost blinded myself when I plugged them in and lookd straight at them. Im plugging those in and pointing them up at the sky for Earth Hour.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 25, 2009 9:23 AM

"seriously, how do any of the above comments make sense. Even if you don't agreee with global warming theory, how is a push to conserve electricity a bad thing?"

Posted by: Arthur at March 25, 2009 9:28 AM

Posted by: BobW at March 25, 2009 9:32 AM

Screw the earth hour why should we turn our light off for 60 minutes just to make a bunch of dirty liberal moonbat granola munching eco-freaks happy TELL THEM TO SCREW THE EARTH HOUR

Posted by: SPURWING PLOVER at March 25, 2009 11:36 AM

I will turn on lots of electric appliances to celebrate, as I always have. These things have been going on for years - first to "get back at the evil electric utility", then "energy conservation", now "global warming".
And, actually, if there was suddenly NO demand and lots of electricity, it could bring the grid down, as during the great Northeast Blackout a few years back. Then, it takes a LOT of effort and coordination to bring the whole thing back up.

Posted by: Nancy at March 25, 2009 11:42 AM

ONCE again this is nothing more than a DemocRAT "FEEL GOOD"! All show and NO go. If people ever understood how this farce is continually be played on them, how they were constantly being played for suckers there would be some DemocRAT butts being kicked all over the place. But alas the Dems have LYING down to an ART.

Posted by: TED at March 25, 2009 11:55 AM

"This lights out thing is good for us people with telescopes. Light pollution has become a real problem. I'm not against lights,but it is where the light from street and flood lights is going. Most light fixtures shine more light up then down on the ground where it's more useful. Dark sites for observing are becoming harder to find."

Posted by: TED at March 25, 2009 12:03 PM

I'll have all the lights on PLUS I will idle BOTH cars AND my riding mower( headlights on) AND my leaf blower and my gas grill and I'm putting the heat on 82 to grow some orchids. Take that moonbats!

Posted by: Anonymous at March 25, 2009 12:21 PM

Earth Hour: Nothing sums up liberalism better than sitting in the dark, wallowing in deluded self-righteousness.

That would make a legendary bumper sticker.

AC

Posted by: AC at March 25, 2009 1:12 PM

"Because turning off everything doesn't actually conserve any electricity at all. Electrical power is still being generated. If they were truly serious about conserving energy, they would actually push for more efficient energy generation."

And WHY do power plants continue to churn out electricity? Because of increased demand, which is exactly what Earth Hour is trying to raise awareness about. I've decreased my energy usage in my home by about 1/3 in the past few years, and do you know how it's changed my life? It's saved me some money. Period. I still have a warm house in the winter, cool in the summer, still drive. Just made some minor changes. You guys really need to open your eyes. Caring for the environment and conserving energy isn't a liberal/dem issue.

Posted by: Stephen at March 25, 2009 1:20 PM

"...trying to raise awareness about."

That's the Liberal war cry. They don't give a damn about SOLUTIONS, they just want to be "socially aware". I've seen them from the early days and can tell you that all they care about is feeling good about THEMSELVES.

Posted by: KHarn at March 25, 2009 1:30 PM

Hey KHarn, reducing energy consumption is a SOLUTION! Want me to spell out what I did to reduce mine? The conservative MO seems to be digging your feet in saying "I'M NOT CHANGING MY WAYS FOR NO DAMN LIBERAL". You make fun of something like this that's offering a solution... a reduction of energy consumption. Trust me, the solutions are out there, but you guys don't want them. You see it as a threat and an insult. Go ahead, keep that up, but don't bitch when the property you hunt on is closed one day for coal mining.

Seriously, if you'd like to know what I did to save a lot of money and reduce my power/gas bill by 1/3, I will tell you. A lot of people will, the info is out there. Everybody makes a small change, less power plants need to be built, period. It's quite simple really if you open your eyes and ears.

We're doing this for the benefit of all of us and our children, and their children, not just ourselves. Stubborn and closed-minded people, christ!

Posted by: Stephen at March 25, 2009 1:46 PM

Here's a good article on Earth Hour:

The Real Meaning of Earth Hour

It is true that the importance of Earth Hour is its symbolic meaning. But that meaning is the opposite of the one intended. The lights of our cities and monuments are a symbol of human achievement, of what mankind has accomplished in rising from the cave to the skyscraper. Earth Hour presents the disturbing spectacle of people celebrating those lights being extinguished. Its call for people to renounce energy and to rejoice at darkened skyscrapers makes its real meaning unmistakably clear: Earth Hour symbolizes the renunciation of industrial civilization.

Posted by: Kevin R at March 25, 2009 3:36 PM

Posted by: Stephen at March 25, 2009 1:46 PM

It's not that conservatives don't have ideas. It's that your idea is just so lame. Turning off your lights for an hour is not a solution to anything. I'm going to turn an extra few on, Stephen, just to cancel you out. That's what makes your idea lame.

We could probably both agree that reducing the amount of money pouring across our borders and into the hands of folks who don't wholly agree with our ideas of basic human rights is a good thing. We should find viable solutions, and not dismiss any out of hand simply because you happen to believe in global warming or climate change or climate chaos or whatever it's called this month.

I really don't have a problem with lowering personal consumption through whatever means you deem appropriate. I do have a problem with the government mandating anything on the basis of the current form of global apocalypse, be it global cooling or warming.

Imagine that, a conservative wanting a liberal to keep his legislation and his beliefs to himself.

Posted by: cowlove at March 25, 2009 3:43 PM

"Now that the liberals are trying to take over our culture we NEED to have a lot of light. Since the liberals are against anything that separates civilized humans from the animals we need light and plenty of it."

I agree. As I said. It's not the amount of light it's how it is being wasted. Lighting is not doing much good if over 50% is blasting away into the sky.
There are light fixtures that are designed to project the light to the ground.
Think about the neighbor who puts up a 200w flood light that blasting right in your bedroom window. Thats light pollution. I guess most have never looked at the sky at night. Shame.

Posted by: BobW at March 25, 2009 4:54 PM

This EARTH HOUR is as stupid as this earthday poppycock where the where the eco-freaks are always holding theor stupid funerals for the earth or acting like such green stupidheads

Posted by: Flu-Bird at March 25, 2009 8:36 PM

not only will every light be burining I plan to idle my car's engine - make that my suv's engine for an hour!

Posted by: Jenn at March 26, 2009 6:07 AM

Cowlove, yeah, I've heard the conservative ideas... more nuclear power plants and more offshore drilling. The fact that your snide and ignorant comeback to conservation is to consume more shows that people with your mindset are hopeless. This is not a game asshole, this is the air we breathe, the food we eat and the water we drink. So yes, if you continue to dig your heels in when it comes to the environment, regardless of "global warming", prepare to be legislated like a stubborn child.

Posted by: Stephen at March 26, 2009 8:00 AM

And as I said, we don't need to dismiss any out of hand, as you've just done by not even bothering to address them.

Your reading comprehension and understanding of logic leaves much to be desired. It's not that I want anyone to consume more. In fact, as I pointed out earlier and you utterly failed to notice, I don't care what people do to lower their personal consumption. However, the population of the earth is increasing and undeveloped countries are pushing towards increased industrialization very rapidly. Energy demand is going to increase exponentially due to only these two factors. Sorry, but it's well-understood (except by you, apparently) that mere lip-service to wind and solar power generation cannot come close to meeting this increased demand. We absolutely have to include nuclear and fossil fuel based solutions. It may seem distasteful to you, but it remains fact.

Oh please, save the drama. You're using the predictable liberal tactic of crying wolf and spreading, "Doooom...DOOOOOM," as a substitute for actual debate.

Again, go back and re-read my earlier comment. Instead of getting prissy because someone had the audacity to disagree with you and refuse to buy in to your global warming idiocy, you could actually read and understand what people write. It is enlightening to see, however, that when you absolutely fail to address real issues and debate topics like a grown-up, you resort to "legislating" your opposition "like a stubborn child," as opposed to, you know, reasoning with people and making your case.

Like I said before, until you can present a reasoned argument like an adult, keep your beliefs and your legislation to yourself.

Posted by: cowlove at March 26, 2009 8:18 AM

How about driving to the store for some groceries and bringing them back home to grill up some fatty cheeseburgers and then watching some netflix. You know, a normal night in America :-)
I'll be forgoing the granola while apologizing to Mother Earth in the dark. OH yeah! And hot baths! Those are good too!

Posted by: Red at March 27, 2009 5:53 AM

I made sure I ran every light in the house, the 4 televisions, the sound system, 5 radios, the outside security lights, got the dogs to barking, at something that had a face and a brain - a cow, and used every power tool in my garage

Posted by: John at March 28, 2009 9:19 PM