« Obama to Put bin Laden Associate in Charge of National Intelligence Council | Main | An Adventure in Creative Journalism »

February 24, 2009

Remember the Alamo

America's worst and most contemptible enemies have taken control of the government and are using it to systematically destroy the economic freedom on which our way of life is based. Our backs are to the wall. This is as good a time as any to remember the Alamo.

On this date in 1836, Lieutenant Colonel William Barret Travis wrote the following letter from the Alamo, which was under his command:

I am besieged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna — I have sustained a continual Bombardment & cannonade for 24 hours & have not lost a man — The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise, the garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken — I have answered the demand with a cannon shot, & our flag still waves proudly from the walls — I shall never surrender or retreat. Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid, with all dispatch — The enemy is receiving reinforcements daily & will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days. If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country — VICTORY OR DEATH.

America is not dead so long as a single American continues to fight in this spirit.

alamo.jpg
An enduring symbol of American resistance to enemies foreign and domestic.

On a tip from Byron.

Posted by Van Helsing at February 24, 2009 8:20 PM

Comments

Possibly the most stirring thing I have ever read. You look at the Alamo now in downtown San Antonio, surrounded by all those buildings, and it looks so small to have contained heroes so large. I am a native Texan and we Texans will never forget. I look across the border into Mexico and wonder if we will be called to man the barricades against the criminal gangs waging war in that country. I can tell you, the thought scares me, but it also reminds me what is worth fighting for in this country.

Posted by: gordo at February 25, 2009 12:38 AM

I'm glad to hear someone say what you just did, Gordo.

Posted by: Murff at February 25, 2009 4:41 AM

Stand fast, never give up your liberties, never forget those who stood this ground on principle and honor. Never give up your guns. Never surrender your position. Never sacrifice your faith.

Oh wait, that was the Branch Dividians.

Posted by: Eric at February 25, 2009 7:00 AM

Don't worry, Eric. You can just tell the terrorists and drug gangs that you supported them. They're reasonable people and I'm sure they'll listen with rapt attention to a reasonable argument from a reasonable guy like you. Maybe you can even talk them into giving you a blindfold.

Posted by: gordo at February 25, 2009 7:36 AM

Standard history says the Alamo was a holding action, where some were sacrificed in order to allow time for the large force to congeal.

How many republicrats, 'patriots'(loosely defined), Libertarians, etc. understand the necessity of such much less possess the guts to be a part of it?

Few that I can see. If they did "Liberal" season would have started decades ago and all those responsible for the Mt. Carmel and Weaver family murders would have been executed along with those who wrote the laws that were used as an excuse to attack them.

What war comes will be fought by a few, unless the elites do something really stupid enough to piss off tens of millions of pacified sheeple at once. They don't seem to be that stupid. History shows most of the human herd will happily dig the ditch they're told to dig and piss their pants when the machine gun bolts slam home and die in their own blood and waste while wondering "How could this have happened to me?"

In the end we all deserve what we tolerate.

Posted by: waypasthadenough at February 25, 2009 7:48 AM

Eric, I think I can speak with a teensy bit more authority about the "Branch Davidians". I met Vern Howell ("David Koresh").

Everything right down to his name was phony. The guy had a scam going that worked. Free money and women for zero effort on his part. Period. He no more thought he was God or a prophet than I do. When the ATF showed up, he knew he was cooked. He was just selfish and low-rent enough to not care that a bunch of people would be wiped out with him.

Don't you DARE compare the heroes of the Alamo with that third rate creep. Waco was just a bunch of scared, confused people being bluffed (to death) by a con man who knew his con was over.

Victory or death!

Posted by: Montag (matt) at February 25, 2009 12:23 PM

Well said Montag. Pick up a history book Eric. The defenders in the Alamo were fighting for ideas that were bigger than themselves. Comparing them to David Koresh just shows how ignorant you are.

Posted by: baldeagle390 at February 25, 2009 12:53 PM

And all those who died there are having their names sullied by the liberals who support illegal imagration and those names include DAVEY CROCKET. Mexicao owes us restitution for all those they muredered at the ALAMMO

Posted by: SPURWING PLOVER at February 25, 2009 12:55 PM

Always rememebr this:

The flag that flew above the Alamo carried the date "1824", the year of the Mexican Constitution. Santa Anna had set himself up as dictator and violated his promass to abide by the Constitution and respect the rights of the residents and citizens of Texas, Arizona, California and Nevada.

THAT is what was preserved at the Alamo!

Posted by: KHarn at February 25, 2009 4:54 PM