« Open Thread | Main | Obama Diet »

November 17, 2008

Michael Bloomberg Launches Crusade Against Salt

Wall Street is highly unlikely to be rescued from its tailspin by the election of a moonbat who has promised to raise capital gains taxes even if it lowers revenues, simply to inflict a Marxist concept of "fairness" on investors. Considering that New York City's bloated budget relies heavily on taxes looted from the floundering financial industry, you would think city leaders would have serious problems to address. Sure enough, they do:

In a closed-door gathering at Gracie Mansion late last month, health experts and food-industry representatives were told about Mayor Bloomberg's next crusade — an effort to reduce the salt in processed food by 20 percent over the next five years.

Restaurants will be ordered to obey "voluntary" measures restricting the use of salt. Failure to comply will result in still more regulation. According to NYC's head health bureauweenie Thomas Frieden, salt is "the greatest public-health threat facing the city."

Keep that in mind a few years into Obamunism, when you're digging through dumpsters for dinner. Avoid eating garbage that looks salty.

On a tip from Wiggins.

Posted by Van Helsing at November 17, 2008 7:29 AM

Comments

Great if that mindless braying jackass wasnt trying to spread his stupid gun control type laws now this busybody muttonhead is wanting a control on salt proving that BLOOMING IDIOT BLOOMBURG is a liberal mindless nit-wit

Posted by: Spurwing Plover at November 17, 2008 7:37 AM

Remember when the only place you saw a sentence like that was in fiction written by George Orwell?

Posted by: V the K at November 17, 2008 7:38 AM

How much longer will meat be served in restaurants?

"That's right, we got one thing on the menu! Arugula!
How do you want it, boiled or boiled?
Sorry, you can't leave without eating a bowlful.
STFU and EAT IT. Its good for you."

Posted by: Shooter1001 at November 17, 2008 8:26 AM

Food fascism.

Posted by: Henry at November 17, 2008 8:27 AM

Wasn't it the Salt Tax represented to the French peasants the arbitrary injustice of the ancien regime? Not much help: they got themselves Robespierre and Napoleon after that.

Posted by: Conservigilant at November 17, 2008 8:30 AM

spam spam spam its wonderful spam!!!

you can have spam spam spam eggs and spam, that only has a little bit of spam in it.

today spam announces, new spam, with long pig...

Posted by: Artfldgr at November 17, 2008 8:56 AM

how i hate the bloomturd

Posted by: furballz at November 17, 2008 10:51 AM

Well, I guess HIS blood pressure is way up there, too. He should quit that high stress job he is in.

Posted by: Nancy at November 17, 2008 11:04 AM

Calm down everyone. He's just protecting us from ourselves. We don't know any better. We shouldn't expect to be able to make decisions about our food intake anyway. Duh. Bureaucracy is a virtue.

Posted by: cowlove at November 17, 2008 11:09 AM

Wonder what he's going to have for dinner tonight. Will the salt be on the table. They want to tell you what to eat and how much. The pissing off of America has begun.

Posted by: Watcing at November 17, 2008 11:15 AM

Is pepper next? It makes people sneeze. Where will it all end?

Posted by: Name at November 17, 2008 1:07 PM

They'll have to take the health crystals from my cold dead hand.

Posted by: czuch at November 17, 2008 2:01 PM

I already saw this -- back in the early 90s when I spent a day in Walter Reed Army Hospital for some tests.

When I was discharged and waiting for my wife to pick me up, I went into their snack bar since I'd been discharged before breakfast was served. I picked up a green apple and a cup of coffee, just to tide me over, and couldn't find salt in the condiment section. Well, you just CAN'T eat a Granny Smith (or any other sour green apple) without salt, so I went to the cash register and asked.

No salt. They didn't carry it. Had none available. For "health reasons" was the only answer they had.

So I set down the coffee and apple and told them they could put them back themselves.

That was when I knew the Cardiovascular Gestapo had gotten too much power already.

Oddly enough, at that point they were still selling cigarettes in the PX and liquor in the Class 6 store on base, though I suspect that's changed by now.

The first battle -- the anti-secondhand-smoke nonsense -- we let the Health Nazis win. That was our first mistake.

Posted by: MSgt White at November 17, 2008 3:30 PM

SPAM,SPAM,SPAM,SPAM, HORMELS MIRICLE MEAT IN A CAN

Posted by: Spurwing Plover at November 17, 2008 10:53 PM

My mother had an incident 5 years ago. Dizzy and faint--wouldn't let me call the doctor. I kept thinking she needed potassium--never occurred to me she needed salt (she had high blood pressure). Well I finally had to call an Ambulance. Her salt level was so low, they were afraid she would die--she has no short-term memory now all because her salt level went so low. Needless to say I get paranoid when they start wanting to tell me what I can and can't eat. Sea Salt doesn't cause the same problems--reckon they will restrict that too? All that money has loosened a screw too many in Bloomberg's head.

Posted by: zombywolf at November 18, 2008 12:01 AM

After the moonbats and shysters are done with the tobacco industry, count on them to go after fast food/junk food and probably caffeine next.

Posted by: Mike at November 18, 2008 12:26 AM

I quit smoking for personal reasons.

I don't eat unhealthy food for personal reasons.

I grow/hunt a lot of my own food for personal reasons.

I have yet to see a reasonable explanation of why the government should have any hand at all in the personal decisions of what people choose to eat. I doubt anyone has ever laid on their death bed after a massive heart attack and thought, "Gee, if only the government had told me what I could and couldn't eat, I would've eaten so much healthier."

Total nonsense. That's all this is.

Posted by: Anonymous at November 18, 2008 7:07 AM

^mine^

Posted by: cowlove at November 18, 2008 7:09 AM

perhaps they are using their success as proof. if the people were smart enough to take care of themselves, then they wouldn elect these kinds of people :)

Posted by: Artfldgr at November 18, 2008 12:19 PM

In England our 'elf an safety' experts have reduced the amount of holes in salt shakers in fast food places!..people now screw the tops off and pour.

Posted by: thud at November 18, 2008 3:26 PM