« American Genocide | Main | Open Thread »

October 23, 2008

Dem Senator Admits Plans to Silence Conservative Radio

Apparently forgetting that the election isn't over yet, Senator Jeff Bingaman (D-NM) has admitted to Democrat plans to shut down talk radio once they have the political leverage.

Television and print media are overwhelmingly — often cartoonishly — liberal. But the conservative opposition has carved out a home on talk radio, where Rush and Hannity draw huge audiences while left-wing Air America repeatedly falls on its face. The Democrat solution is to kill the medium with a strangulation by regulation strategy, imposing the Orwellian "Fairness Doctrine," which would require every opinion to be counterbalanced by an equal and opposite opinion. In practical terms this is not feasible — as they well know. Radio stations will be forced to talk about gardening or switch to music.

Needless to say, this sort of political censorship is not even remotely consistent with the most fundamental principles of this country. That's why liberals feel we need Change.

It's more than an election coming up in two weeks. It's a referendum on whether this will continue to be America. The Left may already have enough control of the media to get the results it's after.

Via the Radio Equalizer, here's Bingaman announcing the Dems' totalitarian plans on Albuquerque's KKOB on Tuesday:

As any American should be, KKOB's Jim Villanucci was alarmed by the interview:

I guess the shocking part was to have a senator sitting across the table from me, basically threatening my job and my show on my show — (it) was kind of stunning.

Other Dems who favor "Hush Rush" legislation include House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) and House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-MD).

Don't worry, Keith Olbermann — the Unfairness Doctrine will never be employed against the Left. This relic of an earlier age would serve no other purpose than to use the liberal saturation of the bureaucracy to silence opposition.

Next in the liberal crosshairs will be the Internet, which they will regulate into submission under the guise of "Net Neutrality." Before long non-socialist communication will be reduced to surreptitiously passing along xeroxed copies of Atlas Shrugged, The Gulag Archipelago, and the US Constitution.

On tips from V the K and Wiggins.

Posted by Van Helsing at October 23, 2008 7:29 AM

Comments

Talk radio cannot be silenced because there are now too many venues they can go to that the left can’t touch.

Some of the talk shows are already simulcasting over satellite.

Only the terrestrial stations will suffer from a drastic reduction of revenue as they reprieve their old TOP 40 formats.

Posted by: pocomoco at October 23, 2008 7:47 AM

Hey, then we could make them put conservatives on MSDNC and CNN etc, right? It's only, um... FAIR, right? You know, the FAIRNESS doctrine, right? Yeah right...

Posted by: Mr Evilwrench at October 23, 2008 9:33 AM

I'm beginning to see why O voted yes on FISA, he'll need it to monitor us insurgents.

Posted by: Mont at October 23, 2008 9:40 AM

Don't count on those "other" venues. If they silence terrestrial radio (which is by FAR the biggest audience), they'll do it to internet radio as well. The article even states this: neutrality of the internet.

I have a feeling if they pull the plug on Rush and the rest of talk radio (and internet), there will (literally) be blood in the streets. People are not going to sit back and just let them shut down the only sources of conservative information left in the country...not without a fight.

By all means, everyone should read Atlas Shrugged right about now. It will give you chills, and open your eyes in ways you never thought of. While you still can.

Posted by: matt at October 23, 2008 9:43 AM

Putin. Mugabe. Chavez. Obama.

Tyrants always move to shutdown the opposition media.

Posted by: V the K at October 23, 2008 10:02 AM

matt: Interesting you should mention Atlas Shrugged; I've already informed my 12yo he's going to be reading it, and should be prepared to discuss.

Posted by: Mr Evilwrench at October 23, 2008 10:24 AM

Tyrants abhore truth.

Posted by: Jimbo at October 23, 2008 10:26 AM

I wonder if they'll also outlaw the "basement printing press"?

Oil your firearms, kids.

Posted by: Jimbo at October 23, 2008 10:28 AM

Jimbo,

With ya brother. Shoot. Move. Communicate.

Posted by: Conan at October 23, 2008 10:32 AM

I'll get started.

Posted by: Scara Mouche at October 23, 2008 10:36 AM

It was called "самиздат" (samizdat), the underground press. The Russians managed to do it pretty well even when the technology didn't predate the revolution and was therefore controlled from the outset.

There's so friggin much hardware already in the hands of the public here that to eliminate it effectively would be even more arduous than the overtly hazardous task of disarming us. Printers and computers, copiers and faxes, etc. have never been systematically registered, especially in the secondary market.

The fascists would have to systematically search every house, confiscating anything unapproved for private ownership. They'd have to be at least somewhat circumspect in approaching this, and those of us expecting it could see it coming. The idea will be: when they start, go find the "inspectors" when they're at someone else's house; don't wait until they come to yours.

I'm, uh, "archiving" enough of both kinds of hardware to make a bit of a nuisance of myself. Gun show this weekend, got a pile of FRNs already, gonna bring home a few thousand rounds of various caliber.

Posted by: Mr Evilwrench at October 23, 2008 10:46 AM

I got a 24 pin dot matrix printer in the attic circa 1989.

Posted by: Anonymous at October 23, 2008 11:05 AM

Oops, maybe I should move the printer. The Obamatron might be watching.

Posted by: Anonymous at October 23, 2008 11:08 AM

The unfairness doctrine its only fair when it benitits the socialists liberal tyrants after all thats how the nazis controled everything

Posted by: Spurwing Plover at October 23, 2008 11:20 AM

I don't believe Obama really wants to go there. It would require fairness for conservatives on the tv, print media, internet, too. Radio is not a medium that benefits him and the Dems except black-oriented programs. Putting Rush on Cable TV would be more damaging. That's why Obama attacks Hannity.

Posted by: apostle53 at October 23, 2008 11:53 AM

Ahh, but FAIRNESS is determined by the referee. Who will be writing the rules? A Congress of like mind to the Messiah. Who will be enforcing the rules? A justice department appointed and controlled by the Messiah. Who will referee the rules? A SCOTUS with vacancies filled by the Messiah. Fairness will be whatever the Messiah (or those pulling its strings) say it is. It doesn't work both ways; it isn't rational.

Media outlets who now broadcast the conservative shows will be confronted with an obligation to squander an equal amount of airtime on lefty garbage, at which point most will just punk out and have sports and gardening shows, rather than write off half their airtime to something that will generate them no ad revenue.

Posted by: Mr Evilwrench at October 23, 2008 1:03 PM

Evil, I hope your kid does. I didn't read it until my late 30's. I had no idea my views of money, capitalism and wealth were so skewed until I went through that book. I was literally standing up every few chapters and going "whoa!".

I hope your kid can get into the era in which the story is set...one without cell phones, TV or instant world-wide communication.

We better take back the next generation before Ayers-style "education" gets ahold of them.

Posted by: matt at October 23, 2008 2:12 PM

Wonder what the trolls have to say about this. I'm sure mef, brs, and the rest of the study hall brigade will rush in here and let us know that we're silly tinfoil hat fruitcakes for believing their holy lords and masters could be capable of such things.

Posted by: Thulsa Doom at October 23, 2008 4:17 PM

I just recently finished 1984, which was frightening enough in similarity- now I have to read Atlas Shrugged as well. I'm going to be a busy bookworm in between trips to the shooting range. Part of me hopes that we're just being paranoid, but- better safe than sorry.

Posted by: Murff at October 23, 2008 4:21 PM

Check out Mark Levin's response to this idiot "Senator" Bingaman, on his show from yesterday (Oct. 22nd), on www.themarklevin show.com . To paraphrase: "They're coming after us anyway, if Obama wins, so we might as well 'get it on' right now."

As a lawyer, Dr. Levin is literally the last guy I'd want to go up against in a court battle -- I'd wish the Stalinist tool Bingaman "good luck," but in fact I look forward to seeing him crushed like the cockroach he is when the Great One gets his foot on his neck (as it were).

Posted by: jc14 at October 23, 2008 5:43 PM

And once again... the trolls avoid this. Hmmm... guess you can't find an argument here.

Posted by: Nobody at October 24, 2008 10:02 AM

jc14;

Let's just hope Dr. Levin gets that foot down before the Messiah can make too many judicial appointments, eh? It doesn't matter how good a trial lawyer you may be, if the judge, appelate court judge, and SCOTUS are all partisan hacks with an axe to grind.

Posted by: hiram13pm at October 24, 2008 3:21 PM

Most of what you think of as liberal media is far from liberal. It's a useful myth. Take the New York Times. How liberal can they be if William Kristol is a regular op-ed columnist? Or William Safire of "nattering nabobs of negativism" fame?

Richard Bond says it's like working the ref. Call them liberal enough times the next time they'll cut you a break.

Posted by: Anonymous at October 24, 2008 9:48 PM

Even now, you guys want to pin the blame and anything and everything, except for the real reason for the hardships to come.
You can thank G.W. Bush and Richard Cheney for the world you live in. They say the Lord looks over babies, drunks and fools. I hope he's looking this way, for your sake. Take care and grow up. Out.

Posted by: Titonwan at October 25, 2008 5:01 PM