« Nanny Nazis Regulate the Holes in Salt Shakers | Main | Sheila Dixon Demonstrates the Advantage of Shrillary for VP »

July 1, 2008

Student Gets Credit for Cursing on Exam

Educational standards in moonbattery-addled Britain aren't what they once were:

A British high school student received credit for writing nothing but a two-word obscenity on an exam paper because the phrase expressed meaning and was spelled correctly.

The exam question was "Describe the room you are sitting in." The student's answer was "F--- off."

"It would be wicked to give it zero because it does show some very basic skills we are looking for, like conveying some meaning and some spelling," [examiner Peter] Buckroyd was quoted as saying. "It's better than someone that doesn't write anything at all."
Buckroyd said the student would have received a higher mark if the phrase had been punctuated.

Keep that in mind while preparing your cheat sheets, students!

On tips from Lyle, Burning Hot, and Frank W.

Posted by Van Helsing at July 1, 2008 7:22 AM

Comments

Another Proud Graduate of the Keith Olbermann School of Self-Expression.

Posted by: V the K at July 1, 2008 7:26 AM

"It's better than someone that doesn't write anything at all."

Um, no. Being illiterate is better than being a sociopath. Although I'd like to think there is a third option.

Posted by: forest at July 1, 2008 7:45 AM

At least he wrote it in English and not Urdu....

Posted by: Number 2 at July 1, 2008 8:25 AM

Wow! Think that I can get away with that at work? Then, when I get a bad review, I can say, "But my words were spelled properly and express meaning."

And if that still doesn't convince my manager to reverse the bad review, I can sue for "hurt feelings." Hey, it worked for Bushra Noah!

Posted by: Pam at July 1, 2008 8:51 AM

When losers win, we all win/lose!

Posted by: Emerson at July 1, 2008 9:07 AM

Posted by: V the K at July 1, 2008 10:22 AM

Typical liberal-speak. They can't express themselves without using the 'F' word.

Posted by: Jimbo at July 1, 2008 10:34 AM

"I have a feeling that if he had written, "Muslims, F--- off," he would have received no credit, regardless of how well it was spelt and punctuated.

Posted by: V the K at July 1, 2008 10:22 AM"

No doubt about that. Or if the teacher were an immigrant and the kid native, the simple "F-off" would have gotten him burned at the stake for racism.

Posted by: forest at July 1, 2008 11:27 AM

Perhaps the student could earn extra credit if he uses correct punctuation when “keying” the phrase onto the driver’s door of the teacher’s car!

After all, he would be “conveying some meaning and spelling”…

Maybe that would inspire the teacher to exclaim something of similar ilk?

Posted by: Chris at July 1, 2008 12:16 PM

WRITE IN MONDALE/CHURCHILL '08 PALE FACE/RED FACE COMMUNIST/SOCIALIST

THE ONLY CHOICE FOR TERRORIST ASS SNIFFERS POSING AS DAN QUAYLE!

OTHERWISE, JUST WRITE IN TWO WORDS: "F--- Off!"

Posted by: Walter Mondale at July 1, 2008 3:47 PM

I sometimes thought that my teachers in the early seventies graded written reports at random. One time a friend of mine simply copied a couple of paragraphs from a book and recieved a "B" grade, I carfully reviewed my book and gave refrence notes, but only got a "C"!
In short, the degrading of education in the free world started earlier than we think.

Posted by: KHarn at July 1, 2008 4:19 PM

I remember when I was in high school (when dinosaurs ruled the earth!) a response like that on a test or assignment would have got me expelled.

Pam, you could always try to response to the two Bob's in "Office Space".
"It's not that I'm lazy or anything, it's that I just don't care". (explaining why he hasn't been into work for several days.)

Posted by: HoosierArmyMom at July 1, 2008 7:01 PM

Considering the quality of the teacher, I can't say that I much blame the student for his response.

Posted by: Rob Banks at July 1, 2008 11:39 PM