« British Educrats to Preach Islamic Values in Compulsory Classes | Main | MSNBC Calls for Surrender to Mexico »

July 19, 2008

EPA Bids for Totalitarian Powers

When the Goracle bellows to a receptive establishment that we must end the "carbon age" within 10 years or be doomed, does it mean that liberals are so insane as to believe we can run our economy without fossil fuels within a decade? Not at all: what it means, if the left has its way, is a form of totalitarianism more restrictive than anything Stalin could have imagined. From today's Wall Street Journal:

In a huge document released last Friday, the EPA lays out the thousands of carbon controls with which they'd like to shackle the whole economy. Central planning is too artful a term for the EPA's nanomanagement.

The beginning of the end for freedom in America might have been the Supreme Court's preposterous declaration that CO2 — which we exhale when we breathe, which has no proven ill effects, and which plants require to survive — can be regulated by federal environazis as a "pollutant" — along with other "greenhouse gases," presumably including the #1 greenhouse gas, water vapor.

The EPA has responded with a 588-page "advance notice of proposed rulemaking" that promises federal regulation of pretty much everything, from cow farts to lawnmowers. Even the hulls of boats will have to be manufactured in accordance with the imperious dictates of EPA enviroweenies.

The simple strategy is to set limits on emissions of absolutely harmless "greenhouse gases" so low that everyone is in violation, and therefore has to come to the government with hat in hand, pleading for special permission to exist. As the EPA puts it:

We expect that the entire country would be in nonattainment.

The EPA has also taken upon itself the duty of levying taxes, also known as "fees" on the carbon emissions that all human activities produce. It is in effect bidding to become another branch of government, more powerful than the others combined and with no accountability to voters whatsoever. The other branches will be more than happy to take cover behind the environment bureaucracy's unaccountability, exactly as the executive and legislative branches have so often hidden behind the skirts of the Supremes on issues that involve running roughshod over the interests of voters.

Now would be an excellent time to remember the wise words of Leonardo da Vinci:

It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end.

On a tip from Oiao.

Posted by Van Helsing at July 19, 2008 11:52 AM

Comments

Good God VH is dumb.

Posted by: Lee at July 19, 2008 3:17 PM

From the EPA's website:

NONATAINMENT:
Refers to areas of the United States that have not met air standards for human health by deadlines set in the Clean Air Act.

Lee, according to the EPA, YOU are poluting right now!
Van is not dumb, you LIBERALS are dumb (To put it kindly) for unleashing this uncontrolable MONSTER! Maybe YOU would like to tell us what the bottom line is, at what point will the "greens" say "our job is done"? We want to know just what will satisfy your kind.

Posted by: KHarn at July 19, 2008 3:46 PM

Liberals can never argue rationally. They instead attack the messenger calling him or her dumb, fascist, Hitler, nazi, stupid, and any number of expletives.

Posted by: Anonymous at July 19, 2008 4:22 PM

Now, now, Anonymous... it's not right to make fun of retards. 'Lee' is "mentally disabled" - it's best just to ignore her. (She's the crazy aunt in her nephew's basement.)

Posted by: Jimbo at July 19, 2008 5:03 PM

Listen, there WILL be a terrible crisis in 10 years. The totalitarian Enviro-movement could be running the show, and everything from breathing to livestock to personal transportation to...you name it...will be on their list of banned activities.

This is what we get for letting schools from K thru university be run by those non-existent communists that Joe McCarthy was looking for. When everyone from the time you can talk is feeding you this B.S., you have no other frame of reference and believe it to be true. Since critical thinking skills and personal responsability isn't taught, you move with the prevailing "wisdom".

We better take back America, and fast, or it's lost for good.

Posted by: matt at July 19, 2008 5:08 PM

I should have said "aren't" taught in the post above.

They are all invested in having a perpetual crisis, an ongoing "struggle". Otherwise they wouldn't have a gig. Just ask Whoopie "you don't live in the same world as me" Goldberg.

Posted by: Anonymous at July 19, 2008 5:12 PM

...and I should have put my name on that last post. These guys have me rattled and I must be slipping...

Posted by: matt at July 19, 2008 5:14 PM

Two words: Arm Yourselves. and a bonus word: QUICKLY!

Posted by: NB at July 19, 2008 5:31 PM

Jimbo: I know I'm leaving myself wide open on this, but I need your opinion. Go to this post and check out the comments section and tell me if this is feasible. You are kind of an subject matter expert.

Posted by: HoosierArmyMom at July 19, 2008 7:04 PM

"...and to answer KHarn, the "Greens" will never say "we are done" any more than the blacks or hispanics will concerning the "civil rights struggle"."

I know that Matt, I just want to hear them admit it in public.

Posted by: KHarn at July 19, 2008 7:28 PM

H.A.M,
"You are kind of an subject matter expert."

LOL! :-)

I was born in the Territory of Alaska in 1955. My citizenship has never been questioned. Of course, I am the legitimate child of a long, long line of Texas farmers and ranchers as opposed to being the bastard child of a Kansas runaway and a Kenyan goat fu..., uh, herder...

I can say, that although I was born in a northern territory in the mid fifties there has never been a problem retrieving the records of my birth from the Alaska authorities - even though the Anchorage hospital where I was born was razed shortly after the '64 quake - Juneau has a record of me. The supposed fact that Honolulu may not be able to provide proof that is 'beyond doubt' is a little troubling - but not beyond imagination considering the 'lazy' culture of the islanders. Hawaiian's consider Obama their "favorite son" which, if he weren't, is not likely considering the way natives feel about us haoles (non-natives).

Personally, I believe other straws need to be grasped - this one is sharp and thin and liable to slice your palm.

I prefer to believe the thing that doesn't qualify the man for the Whitehouse is his resume rather than his heritage.

The Arnold the Nazi's son is a WHOLE OTHER story though. :-)

Posted by: Jimbo at July 19, 2008 7:43 PM

Is it true though, that anyone can contact that hospital and get information in Hawaii? I think you are correct Jimbo, but if he is not a "natural born" citizen, he doesn't have a constitutional right to be President. The article in the Israel Insider points to two things. A mother must be a citizen for 10 years prior to the birth of a child. Also, there are those who say Obama was born in Kenya and then his mother took him to Hawaii and registered him as being born there. It is all just like many other things during his campaign, including where he stands and how he plans to bring about "Change"... a mystery!

Posted by: HoosierArmyMom at July 19, 2008 8:31 PM

OT but I would like to know what you folks think about Wall-E. I saw it tonight and was shocked at the overt anti-American/pro liberal/enviroMENTAList messages contained in it.

Posted by: Anonymous at July 19, 2008 10:02 PM

Now would also be an opportune time to pray!

A PRAYER FOR OUR NATION

Published July 19th, 2008

Dear God,

We supplicate ourselves before You in this time of strife and indecision and confusion in our land.

We pray You see fit to save our nation which has achieved so very much and which has struggled so very hard and which has endeavored to share our God-given bounty with the world. We have not been perfect in all we have done and tried to do but we have done our very best.

We are now beset by forces antithetical to Your commands and we are in mortal danger of being changed from what we are now, a powerful and prosperous yet God-fearing country peopled with flawed mortals who have sometimes lost sight of the path You would wish for us, into a nation of godless sheep.

We have often fought and sacrificed and died to protect America from the evil without and we now are beleagured by the evil within our own borders. We pray that You forgive us our trespasses and enable us to defeat that evil.

We ask that Jesus Christ Almighty intercede on our behalf and continue to confer His blessings on the United States of America. We will never be perfect but we believe that we are still the last, best hope for mankind. We believe we are still the shining city on the hill and trust we will continue to be.

America prostrates itself before Your throne and asks that You save us, continue to bless us, and enable us to do Thy will by blessing us.

Amen.

Posted by: Gene Lalor at July 19, 2008 10:23 PM

Amen!

Posted by: Jimbo at July 19, 2008 11:01 PM

The people behind the EPA rules should not be called "liberals." they are not going to be liberal on any point. Call the illiberals, nazis, totalitarians...anything else.

Posted by: d at July 19, 2008 11:43 PM

Gene,

Yes, Amen.

It reminds me a little like my great uncle Clyde's blessing at the 4th of July family picnic:

"Lord we give thanks for all the blessings and bounty you have bestowed upon us in this great Nation...Please give us strength to defeat those who attack us - peacefully, but decisively. And speak not just of terrorist from abroad, but there are those right here at home who would see out way of life destroyed..."

Pretty sure he was talking about moonbats.

Posted by: forest at July 20, 2008 6:15 AM

Posted by: mega at July 20, 2008 7:21 AM

There was a time when the air we breathed was pure, the waters uncontaminated , and all of our food was organic and free range. It was called the Stone Age. Human life expectancy was about 30, as compared with 75 at the present.

Posted by: James McEnanly at July 20, 2008 7:40 AM

Posted by: Oiao at July 20, 2008 7:46 AM

Finally, Britain decides to get tough and kick some ass....Israel's ass, that is.

Fits perfectly with the self-imposed dhimmification of the UK.

Should the Tower of London become a mosque, or just an execution ground?

Posted by: mega at July 20, 2008 8:17 AM

If there has been a sharp increase in CO2, then I wonder why the forest fires in California and Florida are so hard to fight. Surely the fires' fuel is not CO2.
I think this is just "socialism in a new silk dress".

Posted by: Mockinbird at July 20, 2008 9:25 AM

Fling all the abuse at me that you want.

I think most of - you posting here - and of course VH are ideologues. You think in black and white and then try to fit issues into that prism.

I am trying to help you understand what you are doing and how your thinking is flawed.

Have a great day.

Posted by: Lee at July 20, 2008 10:47 AM

Lee, all liberals believe that anyone who doesn't agree with them has "flawed" thinking and needs help understanding what they are doing. It does not even occur to neo-Jacobins like you that you might be the one with the flawed thinking. I will give you and your ilk one thing though; while you are unable to learn, you certainly don't lack in persistence. 250 years of paasitic feeding on the productive power of modern society while slowly sapping it of strength, and you are all as sure as you ever were that you are 100 % right.

Posted by: mega at July 20, 2008 11:21 AM

Thanks Lee, but if you'd like to enlighten us, maybe you can include some content in your posts. I'm not sure how some sophomoric platitude about prisms is going to help. Neither will the name calling.

Posted by: forest at July 20, 2008 11:26 AM

FEEL the elitism!

Posted by: Thulsa Doom at July 20, 2008 12:06 PM

Arrogance is part of your mentality, LEE.
I recently asked "anonymous" to tell us WHY we should be Liberals; his response was that he didn't WANT us on his side.
Liberals are arrogant, they are decended from the "intellectuals" of old who thought that their high IQs made them "better" than everyone else, and thus above normal social standards.

Posted by: KHarn at July 20, 2008 12:13 PM

And yet, you have failed to present a single fact or argument to demonstrate the flaw in our thinking. While this blog has provided an endless parade of flaws to your mindset.

Posted by: V the K at July 20, 2008 5:38 PM

Gore did drop the phrase “the carbon age” into his address — a topic that I have given an enormous amount of thought to. Last week in fact my book of that title, The Carbon Age, came out, the result of four years of reading thousands of journal articles, interviewing hundreds of people, and reading many, many books. Can’t say when it will end, but I’ve spent an enormous amount of time describing what our carbon age is.

I’m a former reporter for Time magazine. The book emerged from my conclusion that “carbon” — in climate, energy, what to eat (or avoid), aerospace, sporting goods — is the most important word people know the least about. Let me know if you have any questions or want to chat.

Posted by: Eric Roston at July 20, 2008 7:41 PM

Good luck with your book, ERIC.

Posted by: KHarn at July 21, 2008 3:17 PM