« Another Anti-American Friend of Obama: Rashid Khalidi | Main | Woman Awarded Fortune for Skin Mag in Mail Tray »

June 8, 2008

No Slacker Left Behind

The concept of "no child left behind" has reached a new extreme of pernicious absurdity in North Carolina's moonbatty Chapel Hill-Carrboro school district, which is considering making 61 the lowest possible grade students could receive — even if they turn in a blank test.

Explains educrat Sherri Martin:

There is little or no evidence that repeated failure makes people more responsible.

Therefore, they should be given a passing grade even if they do nothing. Also proposed is a 20% limit on how much homework can count toward a final grade, so that students' grades won't suffer unduly if they refuse to do any. Students will also be given more time to make up incomplete assignments, should they find a reason to bother.

More from Martin:

Getting a bad grade or having a bad day does not mean you are a failure. This is about hope.

It's also about change — changing America into a second-rate country by assuring the next generation does not receive an education.

Here's an idea for educrats: Instead of setting a floor for all students, why not take points from the students who study hard, and give them to those who slack off? That's what the government does with our money. The term for it is Social Justice.

Posted by Van Helsing at June 8, 2008 12:33 PM

Comments

Repeated failure may not make people more responsible but it certainly makes them more educated. I would assume that the goal of an educator ought to be to educate?

It is rare that one gets a complex math problem right the first time. It is through repeated failure that most learning occurs.

Posted by: IOpian at June 8, 2008 12:58 PM

Won't be too long until they outlaw GPAs and any competition/stratification of performance.

Competition to get one's children into quality private schools will even get steeper.

No wonder lawmakers will not allow 'school vouchers' for private education at the secondary or lower level. It goes against the grand strategy of a liberal agenda for a Socialist America.

Orwell was only about 25 years off on the timeline.

Posted by: Oiao at June 8, 2008 1:13 PM

Posted by: Oiao at June 8, 2008 1:16 PM

I am a teacher with an established minimum grade for all students. It's called a zero. I also have an answer for repeated failure. It's called summer school.

I do a unit in my government and econ class on socialism. As you suggest, I take points from the best students and distribute them to the slackers. On day one most students are agreeable. Day two sees the best students starting to complain. By day three no one is working and everybody is failing. Point made.

(Note to self: incorporate "Atlas Shrugged" into this year's curriculum.)

Posted by: ~Paules at June 8, 2008 1:58 PM

I don't know about any other states, but here in Wisconsin, there's been howling from the State Teacher's Union regarding homeschooling. Reading this, I can see why. Time and again we see home-schooled children academically beating the pants off public-schooled children, and, quite apparently, the Teacher's Union doesn't like it when they're shown up.

Posted by: Mister Prickly at June 8, 2008 2:01 PM

Whereas there is a huge body of evidence that rewarding irresponsibility encourages more of it.
Good job. Let's dumb down school even more. Ignorant, uneducated people are easier to control, huh? I used to live in NC and left because this kind of thing was leaving me constantly close to puking. Asheville, NC...the least diverse, most mono-cultural place I've ever lived. But it's a moonbat's paradise.
Rick

Posted by: rick at June 8, 2008 2:12 PM

The irony here is that no matter what quagmire of "progressive" politically correct B.S. the liberal education establishment tries to impose, when these uneducated kids get into the real world, they'll find out what it means to fail. Unless they get a government or civil service job, of course.

BREAK THE TEACHERS UNIONS!

FIRE INCOMPETENT TEACHERS!

RE-INSTITUTE FAILING GRADES!

REWARD ACCOMPLISHMENT, PUNISH FAILURE!

Posted by: matt at June 8, 2008 2:28 PM

"No Child Left Behind"? No, it's "No Child Gets Ahead."

They're so afraid some kids will accomplish something and learn something, and some won't, that they'll prevent ANYBODY from accomplishing anything. They'll sabotage the whole educational establishment before they'll admit some kids are dumber and lazier than others.

Posted by: Larry at June 8, 2008 3:36 PM

A great system. The teachers pretend to teach and the students pretend to learn.

Posted by: claw at June 8, 2008 5:21 PM

I guess this is more of the PROGRESS that progressives support, huh?

Posted by: Thulsa Doom at June 8, 2008 5:21 PM

Yet another example of extreme PC in the education system to ensure that ‘the Children become sheep’.

REPORT: MARYLAND TEXTBOOKS ON ISLAMIC TEACHINGS DUMBED DOWN

Posted by: Oiao at June 8, 2008 6:15 PM

Many, many years ago when I was in high school, I was the lab assistant in the Chemistry class my senior year. The teacher who taught Chemistry, Biology, Physics and General Science had a grade range that had 25% as the failing grade. I graded tests that were mainly True/False, multiple choice and a few fill in the blank questions. There was only one person who failed a test. The teacher later raised the grade to pass the student. I asked the teacher why and he said he was there to teach, not to fail students. In my opinion, for most students he failed them on both counts.

Posted by: eeyore at June 9, 2008 3:41 PM

"...and give them to those who slack off? That's what the government does with our money. The term for it is Social Justice."

The policy term for that is welfare, not social justice. I'll grant 'social justice' is a sweeping term, but it's blatant smear and inaccuracy to sweep welfare under it, too.

Posted by: John Simpson at June 21, 2008 12:19 AM