« Obama Throws Entire Church under the Bus | Main | Anti-Gun Activist Knifed to Death »

June 2, 2008

Airport Authorities Disarm G.I. Joe and Cartoon Robot

Maybe our descent into totalitarian moonbattery is all an elaborate joke, intended to make a point about the perils of political correctness. This couldn't possibly be for real:

A doll caused a security alert at an American airport because its two-inch plastic gun was considered a dangerous weapon. Judy Powell, 55, from Walton on the Hill, Surrey, bought the GI Joe toy in Las Vegas and packed it in her hand luggage. But security staff at Los Angeles International Airport refused to let Mrs Powell on board the plane with the replica rifle.

At least Mrs. Powell still has her sense of humor:

I was simply stunned when I realized they were serious. Security examined the toy as if it was going to shoot them and looked at the rifle. I was really angry to start with because of the absurdity of the situation. But then I saw the funny side of it and thought this was simple lunacy.

A grim spokesman for LAX was less inclined to levity:

We have instructions to confiscate anything that looks like a weapon or a replica. If GI Joe was carrying a replica then it had to be taken from him.

Meanwhile, across the pond:

Brad Jayakody, 30, from London, said he was stopped from passing through security at Heathrow's Terminal 5 after his Transformers T-shirt was deemed "offensive."

The shirt featured a cartoon robot holding a gun. Jayakody was forced to remove it.

You would think authorities would focus on young Muslims with scraggly beards and ticking luggage. But that would be racial profiling. Imposing moonbattery appears to be more the point than security.

gijoe.jpg
G.I. Joe had to be disarmed.

On tips from Lyle.

Posted by Van Helsing at June 2, 2008 6:49 AM

Comments

That's been going on for a long time. Over ten years ago, I was traveling with my children, and my son had a pencil sharpener in a miniature replica of a cannon that he'd had forever confiscated at Heathrow, for the same BS reason. We almost missed our plane because of the jobsworths inspecting and faffing around with it. My son really liked it, too, and we never did find another one.

Posted by: avalon at June 2, 2008 8:18 AM

I wonder if it would be OK if he drew an orange cap on the end of the gun to show it's fake. No, that's right, replicas are off limits, too.

I know, how about if he drew over the gun so that it became a farm implement?

Posted by: Lyle at June 2, 2008 9:34 AM

God be praised! We are all safe from harm with those alert, brave, intelligent, civil servants on guard! This discovery proves the wisdom of passing legislation banning plastic weapons. BTW, I wonder if the LAX authority called the bomb squad to dispose of GI Joe's plastic bullets.

Posted by: tmac at June 2, 2008 12:18 PM

Avalon:

Hope that helps!

Posted by: Thulsa Doom at June 2, 2008 12:53 PM

Imagine the chaos if a plane pulled in the airport with a giant revolver painted on its fusilage.

Posted by: Corona at June 2, 2008 1:40 PM

Well, guess I can't fly with my NRA Belt Buckle anymore.

I wonder how they deal with a full uniformed GI sporting a well earned CIB on his chest?

Stupid is, as MoonBats do.

Posted by: Oiao at June 2, 2008 4:34 PM

I feel safer now.

Morons.

Posted by: Steve at June 2, 2008 4:35 PM

Ack! Van, that first story is from August 5, 2002.

You should have caught that ;).

Posted by: Steve at June 2, 2008 4:54 PM

Thulsa Doom, you rock! It's not exactly the same, but it's close enough. My son is much older now, but I think I'll get it for him anyway, just for the smiles. Thanks!

Posted by: avalon at June 2, 2008 6:27 PM

Maybe the security guards had been watching too much Stephen King

Posted by: mandible claw at June 2, 2008 10:27 PM

Steve,

True, the GI Joe story is from 2002, but the t-shirt with the transformers on it is current. Van knew this. He was simply doing compare/contrast; painting a complete picture.

Posted by: Lyle at June 3, 2008 8:37 AM