« Moonbat Artist Joe Rebholz Exploits Fallen Troops | Main | 9/11 Was Just "Airplane Accidents" »

September 3, 2007

Doctor Visits Mandatory Under Edwards' Socialized Medicine

Guided by the liberal credo "That Which Isn't Forbidden Must Be Mandatory," John Edwards has announced that he wouldn't just socialize medicine — he would make visits to government bureaucrat-doctors obligatory:

If you are going to be in the system, you can't choose not to go to the doctor for 20 years. You have to go in and be checked and make sure that you are OK.

Who will be in the system? Why, "every single American."

Mental health would also be covered. You had better keep bad thoughts to yourself if you don't want to end up in a psychiatric facility.

From mandatory doctor visits, it will be a short hop to mandatory morning calisthenics, with a two-way telescreen to make sure you're taking part, just like in the liberal how-to manual 1984.

In other Edwards news, the Breck Girl admits he owns a new Ford Escape and a Chrysler Pacifica — both SUVs. As you'll recall, the other day he demanded that we peasants give up our SUVs, just as we will be asked to give up our freedom, our money, and our first-class healthcare if by some catastrophe a leftist like Edwards is elected.

Chrysler_Pacifica.jpg
A roomy Chrysler Pacifica. At least Edwards doesn't drive a moonbatmobile.

On tips from V the K and Conan.

Posted by Van Helsing at September 3, 2007 10:49 AM

Comments

Gee, when I read this my mind's eye instantly saw that classic Macintosh commercial from the 80's, when all the drones trudged into the auditorium to listen to the Leader. In John Edwards's world, we will all be trudging like that to the doctor.

And what kind of doctor will it be? Will we be a large version of the British medical system, where there's little pay incentive for physicians, and as a consequence a great percentage of them are from Central Asia?

Posted by: mustafa p at September 3, 2007 12:31 PM

They actually have a system like this in France. If you are employed by a company or the government, you must go once a year to a "medecin de travail", literally, a work doctor.

The one I went to when I lived in Paris several years ago recommended that I drink one to two glasses of wine per day. I said to myself, this is a doctor I can live with.

Seriously, though, that whole system is a massive waste of money, not to mention a carrier of totalitarian ideology, as you indicated. If Edwards & Co. get their way, we may very well be in for a bumpy moonbat ride.

Posted by: AWOL Civilization at September 3, 2007 1:16 PM

Speaking here from the UK, this is the very basis of the "Social System". Socialism is more than an economic system, indeed that's largely a side issue (especially these days). The illogic of these people is simple; if you wish to benefit from a system, you must act "responsibly" by doing as you're told. But you're not allowed to opt out. IOW, you're *obligated* to "benefit" whether you want the benefit or not, and unless you fully comply with what is decided by ideologically driven nutters is best for you, you're a social defector pissing in everybody else's bathwater, and thus no sanction against you is too great.

Americans should do all they can to avoid this imposition, though they'll probably be unable to stop it as the Social Movement have spent the past century worming their tendrils into every political and social institution. Enjoy the waiting lists, lack of choice and bureaucratic dictators, guys.

My only other observation is, at the risk of anti-Americanism, (which isn't my purpose); American intellectuals contributed a vast amount to the creation of the Social Movement, so it's probably poetic justice that you should suffer its full horrors along with the rest of us.

The only hope left ISTM is if we can pull the rug out from under the Global Warming hoax, the rest of the horrendous ideology can be destroyed as collateral damage. I suspect that's too optimistic though.

Posted by: Ian From the EUSSR at September 3, 2007 2:00 PM

I saw this on foxnews.com earlier today and had the same 1984 visions. Once we relegate our health to the Nanny State, what is next? Children raised in the "let Big Brother think for you" society will forget how to function on thier own.

Posted by: Harris at September 3, 2007 2:15 PM

socialize lawyers not doctors

Posted by: Grant at September 3, 2007 3:53 PM

Thanks for that keen commentary Ian (love the EUSSR id). It was right-on. We're getting what we deserve and you're correct...it's probably too damned late to do anything about it.

So, everyone line up for your annual prostate poke/pelvic spread-em' peek. Hell, it's likely to be on camera too, just for the record. Ya know, we must DOCUMENT all this progress. Actually, I credit my good health to NOT visiting quacks. Guess I'll not be insured. Oh well.

Posted by: fellowes at September 3, 2007 6:04 PM

so, let me get this right.

if you desire socialized medicine, you must go to the doctor whether you need to or not?

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahaha!

i can count on two fingers the times i've needed a doctor in the last 14 years! i'll be damned if i'll go when i don't need to go.

Posted by: nanc at September 3, 2007 9:04 PM

Look, I'm a Mormon. I don't drink, smoke, or have promiscuous sex. The follow of socialized medicine is I get robbed to pay for the health care of people who eat and exercise like Michael Moore, do drugs like Keith Richards, and sleep around like Paris Hilton. How is that fair to me?

Posted by: V the K at September 4, 2007 8:50 AM

My mind cannot even begin to plumb the depths of smugness people like Hillary and Edwards have in thinking they know what is better for me than I know for myself.

How maligned must their thought process ( or lack thereof ) be when hacking out the defensless unborn is a matter of personal choice but deciding on issues of my own quality of life are something they would deny me ?

Posted by: IOpian at September 4, 2007 4:55 PM