« Jerry Brown Leading Charge to Loot Auto Industry | Main | BBC Promotes San Francisco Christianity »

April 30, 2007

Compact Fluorescent Bulbs: Not a Very Bright Idea

Moonbattery sure isn't cheap. Those flickering, dim compact fluorescent light bulbs that moonbats want to force us to use because they will allegedly save a few pennies on the electric bill cost about $4.28 a bulb — so long as you don't break one. If you do, the cost will be in the neighborhood of $2,004.28.

Knowing that the bulbs contain highly toxic mercury, Brandy Bridges of Ellsworth, Maine got on the phone for advice after breaking one. She ended up dealing with the bureauweenies at the Maine Department of Environmental Protection, who sent a specialist to her house to test for contamination. Her daughter's bedroom had to be sealed off while she scraped up the $2,000 to pay for cleanup. Her insurance wouldn't pay because mercury is a pollutant.

There are about 5 billion light sockets in North American households. Each will be a potential toxic waste site if liberals are successful at imposing compact fluorescents.

By the way, compact fluorescent bulbs are manufactured in China and India, where there are virtually no environmental regulations. Waste presumably goes into the nearest river.

Soon we'll need to dispose of billions of these subpar bulbs. According to Maine safety standards, it takes 16,667 cubic meters of soil to contain the mercury in a single bulb. The entire country is going to turn into a Superfund site at the behest of environmentalists, whose Dem allies are pushing for a ban on incandescent bulbs in the name of the global warming hoax.

Compact fluorescents have a special appeal for the dim bulbs in the Democrat Party.

On tips from V the K and Bill V.

Posted by Van Helsing at April 30, 2007 8:46 AM


This will provide more employment for bureaucrats. It's a self-serving dream for big-government types.

Posted by: Pam at April 30, 2007 9:04 AM

home depot gave away hundreds of thousands of these during green-weenie week!

i'm taking all of the ones in the house we are buying straight back to wal-mart and exchange for the good old bulbs.

Posted by: nanc at April 30, 2007 9:09 AM

Posted by: V the K at April 30, 2007 9:55 AM

Liberals are going to cram political correctness and wacky enviro-zealotry down our throats no matter how stupid, expensive, and polluting the measure is.

Liberals...I swear!!!

Posted by: Ed at April 30, 2007 10:23 AM

i broke one in my closet when i accidently dropped it on my shelf a little to hard. i threw it right in the garbage, with oil from my last oil change.

F enviromentalism.

Posted by: furballz at April 30, 2007 12:00 PM

Uh, I think she got ripped off, but that's what happens when you have to deal with incompetent gov't employees:

As with the federal rules, Maine rules exempt households from all provisions of the hazardous waste rules that govern industrial and commercial generators. However, the Department supports the voluntary and environmentally safe management and disposal of hazardous waste from your home.

Posted by: Joe Mama at April 30, 2007 1:19 PM

OK, I admit it, I'm a bit of a closet environmentalist but I am very conservative fiscally and politically. I love this blog and check it almost every day so please keep it up. In the interest of full disclosure, what is the mercury content of a CFB as compared to 24, 36 and 48" standard florescent bulbs and how many of those do we see shattered in garbage bins? Where's the outcry on that. There must be 4,000 48" bulbs in my office building alone. What's the mercury content in those and why aren't we griping about these? Why pick on the CFBs? I installed them because they last for frickin' ever and use less energy. Lord knows everything we do has a negative environmental impact. It's not like we're manufacturing mercury, it's just being mined.

Posted by: Neal at May 1, 2007 8:01 AM

We've been using these for a year or so, since they came out with the color-corrected bulbs, but only because they do burn for a long time. They're lousy reading lights, though--and a 100W fluorescent is not as bright as a 100W incandescent.

Go halogen! Now, THAT'S light!

Posted by: rightwingprof at May 1, 2007 8:46 AM

Here's an article that may be informative:

Posted by: Dave at May 2, 2007 7:48 PM