« Retired Banker Threatened With Prison For Returning Sand to Beach | Main | Indulging in Cowardice and Thuggery, Liberals Shoot Themselves in the Foot Over Nevada Debate »

March 9, 2007

Enviromoonbattery Raising Food Prices

Enviromoonbattery is hitting us where it hurts: in our stomachs.

Despite reports that it generates less energy than it takes to create, ethanol is a big winner politically, earning major backing from President Bush. Moonbats like it because it seems so organic, and farmers because it jacks up corn prices. The problem is, it jacks them up a little too much.

Corn is at $3.20 a bushel, up from $2 last year, thanks to ethanol gobbling up 20% of the crop. Consequently the cost of feeding chickens has gone up 40%. Warns Dick Bond of Tyson Foods:

Companies will be forced to pass along rising costs to their customers, meaning consumers will pay significantly more for food.

High corn prices due to ethanol are already causing a crisis in Mexico by raising the price of tortillas — and until we can somehow acquire a government responsible enough to guard our border, Mexico's problems are most definitely our own.

On the bright side, the less we eat, the less gas we can pass — and flatulence produces more greenhouse gas than all methods of transportation combined.

ethanol.jpg
Ethanol: A problem posing as a solution.

On a tip from Metalgarth.

Posted by Van Helsing at March 9, 2007 11:15 AM

Comments

Not to mention cutting down the rainforest in Brazil to grow sugar cane to turn into ethanol.

Posted by: V the K at March 9, 2007 11:29 AM

Why are there more and more enviro-doofuses starting web sites and the like also? Do they have false illusions of healing the world or do they just want to cash in on the frenzy? Here is a new one we should beat down that I discovered today:

www.ognow.org

Posted by: joe at March 9, 2007 1:52 PM

I thought the jungles...er, rainforests were only cut down to raise cattle so those eeevil fast food franchises can sell more burgers!

Posted by: Pam at March 9, 2007 2:09 PM

Uh...

Any of ya'll wanna buy some CFCs (Carbon Footprint Credits)?

I can sell them to you for half the price of what Algore sells his for, and I'll give you a better guarantee that your money is actually going to make the earth green(er). For a small, regular donation (for say - flatulance), I will send actual pictures of your ACO (Adopted Carbon Offset) in a monthly newsletter.

Come on guys - think about it. SEND ME MONEY NOW! It's important to save the earth (and replace my crappy landscaping).

:-)

Posted by: Jimbo at March 9, 2007 4:01 PM

well, with all this warming it ought to put everything into a hothouse kind of situation and hothouse vegies aren't all that bad grown in the right conditions...::smirk::

Posted by: nanc at March 9, 2007 6:51 PM

As V The K alludes, Brazil does have a sizable ethanol-fuel program. Effectively, it's a massive government farm subsidy cleverly disguised as something else.

That's not to say that ethanol doesn't have legitimate uses in fuel though; a little of it in regular gasoline makes a fine anti-knocking agent.

What I don't understand is why people insist on using corn to make ethanol. Sorghum generates much more usable ethanol than corn (maybe enough to break even energy-wise if all the latest chemistry is used), and most sorghum is grown in the Third World.

So, why is an opportunity to economically include the Thrid World and levy and under-ultilized crop being passed up in favor of an expensive, economically damaging and generally questionable initiative to bail out politically powerful corn producers?

Oh, darn. I hate it when I answer my own questions.

Posted by: N_C at March 10, 2007 4:06 AM

NC, I think the biomass of choice for biofuel should be sea algae. But that's just me.

Meanwhile. you've heard of course, about the Moonbat priests who feel they have to exorcise a Mayan ruin because of Bush's visit?. This moonbat is so out of touch, he actually thinks Bush is opposed to illegal immigration:

That a person like (Bush), with the persecution of our migrant brothers in the United States, with the wars he has provoked, is going to walk in our sacred lands, is an offense for the Mayan people and their culture

Not to mention, he apparently didn't get the memo that Mayan Culture went extinct 400 years ago.

Posted by: V the K at March 10, 2007 3:30 PM

I bet Bush is oppressing the Assyrians in Iraq and the Tocharians in Afghanistan too! The nerve of that man!

As much a disappointment as he has been to me in many ways, Bush has served as an excellent lightning rod. Rare is the moonbat who's incindiary rage against Bush does not so blind them so as to prevent futher damage.

I think your idea for using sea algae for fuel biomass is a fine one. There is a rather lot of ocean on this planet, and it's darn near time that we started exploiting all the plants growing in it.

Posted by: N_C at March 12, 2007 8:40 AM