« Londonistan | Main | A Liberal Gets It »

September 20, 2006

Pledging Allegiance to the Mexican Flag at a Texas Elementary School

At a school assembly at Velasco Elementary School in Freeport, Texas, the audience stood to show their respect as parent volunteers demonstrated their patriotism by pledging allegiance to the flag. Unfortunately, it was the Mexican flag.

Explains Principal Sam Williams:

We have stated in our mission statement that we are a campus that is a beacon of hope for a culturally diverse population.

According to a witness, the entire audience was asked to pledge allegiance to the flag. Calling in to KTRH, she asked:

Where is the sensitivity to the country and to the troops and the men and women that have fought and died for this country?

At least Americans aren't being asked to pledge allegiance to the United Nations flag — yet.

mexican_flag.jpg
A fine flag when it's flying over Mexico.

Posted by Van Helsing at September 20, 2006 10:35 AM

Comments

I may be wrong about this, but I think that swearing allegiance to a foreign flag is tantamount to renunciation of US citizenship.

Posted by: LK at September 20, 2006 12:47 PM

This is Political Correctness gone wild. Any 8 year old cub scout knows flag protocol. The principal needs some training in AMERICAN SENSITIVITY. And from what I read, the dipstick principal STILL doesn't realize the seriousness of his actions. He wants to "...talk to parents who were upset and explain...". One cannot EXPLAIN, one can only BEG FOR FORGIVENESS.

Posted by: codekeyguy at September 20, 2006 12:57 PM

Makes you yearn for the days when the simple citizens would have painted him with tar, covered him with chicken feathers, and put him across the border.

Posted by: C. S. P. Schofield at September 20, 2006 1:54 PM

Sounds treasonous to me! And our schools today don't even have a Civics Class to teach our students about our government. Ask a kid today what Civics is, and he will say it's a HONDA. That principal should be fired, plain and simple, and also charges against him should be considered for treason.

Posted by: Rbob at September 20, 2006 2:08 PM

You can't renounce something you don't have. We don't need no steenken badges.

Posted by: Pepe at September 20, 2006 4:47 PM

Immigrants used to come to the United States because they wanted freedom and opportunity and wanted to become American citizens. They still want freedom and opportunity, but they do not want American citizenship and values. The world has grown smaller through faster travel and communications, so that it is now possible to leave your old country without really leaving it.

Posted by: Maniyak at September 20, 2006 8:10 PM

Here in Texas I have my socks taxed off to pay for the schools. Is this why? So some asshat principal can teach exclusion, not inclusion. So he can allow 65% of his students to pledge to a foreign flag celebrating a foreign holiday in a country that they don't live in? Maybe we could sent Mexico the bill for educating all the people they have sent to our nation because they are too corrupt to take care of their own.
I am sick of it.

Posted by: retire05 at September 20, 2006 10:56 PM

This is exactly why real Americans are pissed off. Why don't you spics go back to mexico and pledge there!

Posted by: Lghtning4u at September 21, 2006 5:21 PM

um, dude, maybe, if you even really knew any immigrants from central america, you'd know why they can't go back.

Posted by: alex at September 22, 2006 7:43 PM

You know what alex, I live on the border, and I'm hispanic, and I do know immigrants from central america. Not one of them has given me a valid reason why they can't go back.
Not only that, but they expect US citizens like myself who were born and raised as Americans to embrace their culture and language because they're all too lazy to learn English. It's pretty absurd when I walk into a store and I can't even talk to the cashier because he/she has no knowledge of the english language. It's also sad when these people try to talk to me in spanish and get pissed whan I tell them that I don't speak their language... WTF, man? What country are you in, and what is the primary language of the people?
I walk arond town and see all these bumper stickers proclaiming "Orgullo Mexicano" (Mexican Pride) and I see Mexican flags on cars and houses everywhere. If they're so proud of being Mexican and can't respect our customs and flag, then why not stay over there in the first place?

America - Love It Or Leave It!

Posted by: matt at September 25, 2006 3:21 AM

Would someone in authority please explain to
the parents, children and teachers at this school what a pledge of allegiance is? It means you promise your loyalty to a country. Usually in the United states we pledge to our flag.
My son is in an ROTC program, my husband was a naval officer and it_burns me up that this incident was allowed to pass by the press in Texas.
Those people owe a public apology to the entire nation.How about an oath for us educators!

Posted by: Nuttall at September 25, 2006 10:51 AM

I'm a Mexican living in Mexico, and I tell you that this is plain wrong. Countries are sovereing and sovereingty has to be respected.
I wonder if Sam Williams' "diversity" would include religious Catholic and Protestant prayers during recess, or upon begining classes.
That would be diverse, for instance.
PCness is taking over if we allow it.

Posted by: Miguel at September 26, 2006 4:27 AM

YES!YES!YES!YES!!!! Alex!!! You hit the nail and the taco on the head. I am 62yr. old, anglo (white to all you from the generation of fools)and I spent my childhood (3yr thru 25yr) growing up in "Meskin" town as it was called at the time. I had no problem with the "meskin's" because even though a lot of their parents had trouble with english, all of the kids spoke english. I lived with it with no more problems than I would have (and did) if I lived on the "right side of the tracks" (literally!). I have more "hispanic", fluently english speaking friends than I do "anglo's". All of these peers were obsessively proud to be an American, and even though they celibrated some Mexican holidays, they never celibrated the Mexican flag. They were and still are AMERICANS!!! Many of their parents would not allow them to speak "Spanish" at home, and some even had to take Spanish in school to learn the languange. Many of their parents, siblings and relatives served in the armed forces, and some gave their lives for this country. They didn't give their lives for Mexico. I say if you "honor or pledge allegance to the Mexican flag", then get the Hell out of my country, go to "your country" and have a go at it! We, as AMERICANS do not need or want you here!! J.R. Aaron

Posted by: john aaron at September 26, 2006 9:57 PM

J.R., I think it was Matt not Alex who hit the nail on the head.

Posted by: Van Helsing at September 27, 2006 7:53 AM

This is the epitome of stupidity and crass in-your-face Vicente Fox inspired hypocrisy. Americans are sick and tired of Mexicans AND OTHER ILLEGAL BORDER CROSSERS invading our country, demanding free services, education and health care, not paying taxes, undercutting the lifestyle we have built up over the past 100 years, and destroying our way of life. They say they want what we have, but are destroying it by not coming legally, not paying their fair share,not learning English and assmiilating. Welcome, if you come legally, assimilate, learn English and don't throw your Mexican heritage in our faces and demand that we capitulate to your way of life. Aint gonna happen. Keep the Mexican flag in Mexico and fly the American flag as you speak OUR pledge of allegiance, in ENGLISH!!!

Posted by: JC at October 7, 2006 1:42 PM

I think that u guys are right if the immergents want to come into our country then they need to learn the language and learn about our hertage. If they dont then they dont need to be here. They need to learn that real americans are not going to stand for this and kick all the rest of them out. It just rises the taxes for the rest of us who do pay it.

Posted by: nicky at October 14, 2006 9:33 PM