« Medea Benjamin: North Korea Has No Nukes | Main | Pushing All the Wrong Buttons »

March 21, 2006

A Lesson in Imaginary History

Here's some more good news from the Left: Adolf Hitler may have been an imaginary problem!

This surprising revelation can hardly be questioned, as it comes to us from a woman of ultimate moral authority: Cindy Sheehan herself. When Joe Scarborough asked her if FDR wasn't just as much a "terrorist" as moonbats regard President Bush, considering all the Germans and Japanese who died in World War II, the Ditch Witch treated his audience to the following history lesson:

I'm a pacifist and I believe war is wrong. And if you look at the history, World War II happened because of World War I and the suppression and sanctions against the people of World War I. I'm a total pacifist and I think finally now, this is the 21st century and we need to stop killing each other to solve problems, especially imaginary problems.

Only the She-hag knows for sure if she was referring only to this imaginary problem:

mass_graves_6.jpg
At one of Saddam's mass graves.

or if she meant this one too:

Auschwitz_corpses.JPG
A mass grave at Auschwitz.

It would come as a tremendous relief to the millions who died as a result of Hitler's maniacal regime to know that it was just an imaginary problem. If only we could have gotten the news to them in time.

With thanks to V the K.

Posted by Van Helsing at March 21, 2006 12:02 PM

Comments

I really think it is a shame that people compare Iraq to Nazi Germany. The loss of life isn't comparable neither is the agressive warfare. So Damn Insane was a horrible leader, but he was not a Hitler. It really degrades what happened during WWII to compare the two.

WWI did in some ways lead to WWII, but I doubt pacifism would have solved the problem once it had developed. I think a proactive political approach could solve many conflicts before they happen. That may just be wishful thinking though.

Posted by: Reed Harding at March 21, 2006 12:57 PM

Pascifism is such a cop out. All pascifists are about is saying shit like "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" and pretending to be deep, when they really are as shallow as a kiddie pool thats been pissed in.

Posted by: associatecontributor1 at March 21, 2006 2:31 PM

Arguably it was pacificism in the form of appeasement that let WW2 start. Admittedly the sanctions against germany were incredibly harsh, even measured against the standards of the day - if you want to know why, ask the French; they pushed hardest for them - but germany could easilly have been contained if it weren't for Chamberlain and his ilk handing over huge chunks of land to germany at the 11th hour. Hitler was on the verge of giving up the negotiations.

And, even when war was declared, it could have been over in months instead of years if only that same prime minister had the balls to order an advance instead of a retreat. The British forces in France were numerically superior to the attacking germans and they had the advantage of being able to drive from France straight in to germany, while the germans had to go through belgium. If the British army had pushed forward they could have stalled Hitler's advance while he was still in belgium, and they could potentially been in Berlin within a couple of months. Instead, the same appeasing political leadership that started the war dallied and dithered until it was too late, giving us the "heroic" retreat of Dunkirk.

Speculation is fun... :)

Speculation is fun.

Posted by: Archonix at March 21, 2006 2:48 PM

Archoix,

Didn't Hilter's armies not drive through Belgium, to avoid the horrors (for them too) of WWI-style trench warfare?

Posted by: ex-expat at March 21, 2006 4:01 PM

Are you equating Saddam Hussein with Adolf Hitler?

Moreover, are you saying that World War Two was completely, totally unavoidable?

Posted by: moonbat supreme at March 21, 2006 8:30 PM

I usually tend to equate Saddam with his greatest idol, Josef Stalin.

As to WWII, there were various points in history where it could have been avoided. However, as they say, hindsight is 20/20. The prevailing attitudes of the time made it pretty much impossible to take the necessary actions without causing a great deal of ruckus.

Posted by: Targetpractice, Worst of Both Worlds at March 21, 2006 11:02 PM

Not really, though. That's just syrup, to make it all go down so much easier.

Yoko Ono recently commented in an interview that World War Two was an especially horrific failure of mankind because the world had two resources to drawn on, that was unprecendented in history: figures in diplomacy that have yet to be surpassed in their genius, and new technological advances that made communication between world leaders almost instantaneous.

What I found particularly frightening about this idea is that even with all of the advancements made over the course of sixty years' time, a small cabal of fanatical despots could cause an atrocity like the Iraq occupation and massacres, so much death and destruction, and the world STILL could be a party to it, and yet so many will do nothing to try to stop the carnage.

I think that, in many ways, that's what motivates me to shed as much light over the darkness that I possibly can, while I'm still alive to do so.

Posted by: moonbat supreme at March 22, 2006 12:27 AM

Of course, the idiocy of the left leaves us with the always-viable alernative following 9/11...

Call the cops.

Perpetual fucknuts.

Eric in Hollywood

Posted by: HollywoodNeoCon at March 22, 2006 1:24 AM

Lovely imagery, Eric.

Is it "Saint Theresa Schiavo Memorial Week" already?

Does this mean we have to lower our flags?

Posted by: moonbat supreme at March 22, 2006 1:57 AM

You've put me in an odd position: having to defend Cindy Sheehan. We did not go to war with Hitler because of the extermination of the Jews. In fact, Hitler declared war on us first. Auschwitz was in Poland. It was liberated by, dare I say it, THE COMMUNISTS! War is evil. But sometimes good can come out of it. We did not go to war with Hitler to end the Shaoh, but the war did end it.
I pray something good will come out of our current conflict.

Posted by: phil at March 22, 2006 11:52 AM

Judging from the language, the writing patterns and the continual references to identical talking points I think it's fair to assume that MS == hashfanatic.

Phil: Auschwitz may have been liberated by the Soviets, but many of its inhabitants later died in the soviet pogroms.

Posted by: Archonix at March 22, 2006 1:08 PM

and: @ex-expat: that's the exact reason they drove through belgium, but the trenches were all on the Maginot line, with no defences on the german side at all. The allied forces could have simply advanced under the protection of the maginot guns and driven north-west to cut off the german supply lines.

Posted by: Archonix at March 22, 2006 1:10 PM

Without a map in front of me.....you mean that instead of swinging through Belgium via the WW1 route, Hitler's armies went through another side of Belgium (The Ardennes Forest). That clicks with what I remember.

Posted by: ex-expat at March 22, 2006 4:36 PM

I installed a hidden camera in the high school boys' locker room. I'm willing to share.

Posted by: moonbat supreme at March 22, 2006 5:35 PM

ex-expat: yeah, that's pretty much as I recall it.

26 and my memory is already getting hazy... not good.

Posted by: Archonix at March 22, 2006 5:52 PM