« Moonbattery Oppresses Blacks | Main | Playpen Politics »

January 30, 2006

School Forbids Raising Your Hand

If there's one thing that will make you almost as terrified for the future as Iran developing nuclear weapons, it's got to be the pervasiveness of moonbattery in education, from higher ed all the way down to grammar school, where the pupils of one London school are now banned from raising their hands in class.

The principal explains that it's often the same children who raise their hands. When teachers try to involve the ones who don't raise their hands by calling on them instead, the tots experience the dreaded sensation of victimization. And so:

To spare embarrassment of the students who do not know the answer, the school has incorporated a "phone a friend" system, allowing one child to nominate another to take the question instead.

What an ingenious concept. I can just picture the characters in the Guinness commercials shouting "brilliant!"

Hat tip: William

guinness_commercial.jpg
"No more raising hands! Phone a friend system! Brilliant!"

Posted by Van Helsing at January 30, 2006 8:47 PM

Comments

"Phone a friend?" Has this chap been watching too much telly and decided to give the students a few 'lifelines?'

"Teacher! Leave those kids alone!"

Posted by: Anna at January 30, 2006 11:52 PM

I was talking with some friends this past weekend about school vouchers, and how adamantly opposed the education establishment is to them. While of course demanding ever more money in the form of direct property taxes and bond issues and the like to ever more lavishly subsidize their own unassailable incompetence.

It made me wonder why I've never heard anyone pushing the simple idea that ALL education millage increases or bond issues or the like -- any education-related matter brought to the voters, in fact -- should be rejected until and unless a free and open voucher system is enacted as part of it. No money for vouchers? No money for public schools, either.

Posted by: prince of leaves at January 31, 2006 12:56 AM

Well, that's nice. Now only one person in the whole class need be responsible for actually knowing anything. You can nominate others all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that the original kid didn't know the material... and now that there's no shame in ignorance, there's little incentive to learn it.

Posted by: Dangerous Dan at January 31, 2006 1:37 AM

Prince of Leaves --- I hear ya. Someone should start a national "No vouchers, No millage!" movement.

The hand-raising thing, I don't know. If schools are teaching this self-esteem, outcome-based, "5+2=7, but we have to value the opinion of those who think it equals 6, 9, or any other number," does it even matter who has the right answer?

Posted by: V the K at January 31, 2006 8:03 AM

This is insane. I taught for 29 years. We went through a year or two of "don't use a red pen to correct student's papers"! --- use some 'nice' color like light blue to check their correct answers. It took me almost three hours to do that. Just once. The next day I told my students it was a bad suggestion and that if anyone objected to the red, I would correct their papers with blue. On one objected.

By the way, I also had a method to call on those who had the least answers that week first. It is not hard to do if you are a good teacher.

Posted by: Chief RZ at January 31, 2006 9:55 AM