« Honest Abe's Words of Wisdom | Main | Happy Thanksgiving! »

November 23, 2005

Profiles in Moonbattery: Kurt Vonnegut

Probably like a lot of people, I enjoyed Kurt Vonnegut's books as a teenager, then tried reading them as an adult and was appalled that I had ever wasted my time on such juvenile and sloppily written trash. But what Vonnegut lacks in talent, he more than makes up for in moonbattery. Here's his latest:

The Weekend Australian reports that Vonnegut, who has crawled out from under his rock to promote a new book devoted to sniping at the president, called suicide bombers "very brave people," got excited about the "amazing high" they must experience before killing innocent civilians, characterized the death of suicide bombers as "sweet and honorable," and proclaimed that they do not die for twisted religious beliefs, but "for their own self-respect."

Sounding remarkably like his soul mate Ward "Some People Push Back" Churchill, Vonnegut opined, "What George Bush and his gang did not realize was that people fight back."

This is hardly the first time Vonnegut has made a fool of himself with his contemptible ideology. Following 9/11, he had this to say:

There's so much talk about 9/11. But what the crooks on Wall Street and in big corporations have done to us has been more destructive.

The "crooks on Wall Street" would presumably include quite a few of the people who worked in the financial industry and died in the World Trade Center.

Demonstrating the tie between condescending multiculturalism and anti-Americanism, Vonnegut has also opined that the USA is hated around the world because:

[O]ur corporations have been the principal deliverers and imposers of new technologies and economic schemes that have wrecked the self-respect, the cultures of men, women and children in so many other societies.

More of Vonnegut's patriotism was on display when he appeared on the profoundly vile Bill Maher's HBO program in September:

When I show my passport in Spain or Italy or Germany or France or even communist China, what it would say about me is that I'm not only from the richest country in the world but the dumbest country in the world.

Vonnegut took advantage of the same appearance to publicly drink some of Al Gore's Kool-Aid:

We are killing the planet as a life support system. We may have gone so far already that there's no recovery from it. The game may be over. ... I think the earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us. And it's high time they did. We are a disease on the face of this planet ... it's time we got out of here. We are a disease on the planet, and I think we ought to become syphilis with a conscience and stop reproducing.

"We are a disease on the face of this planet." It's nice to know that this morally deformed freak doesn't just hate America — he hates the entire human race.

But then, that's moonbattery in a nutshell. Moonbats look at themselves, see something unspeakably loathsome, and project their self-loathing at what they are a part of. That's why they can be counted on to side with any enemy of America — even Islamic totalitarians, who represent the diametric opposite of all the progressive causes liberals pretend to believe in. The only thing they really believe in is projected self-hatred. They side with terrorists against America because they are American. They support racial quotas that penalize Caucasians because they are Caucasian. They side with spotted owls and sucker fish against humans because they are human.

If Earth is ever invaded by malevolent space aliens, we know whose side Kurt Vonnegut will take.

Hat tips: OpinionJournal, Knowledge Is Power

kurt_vonnegut.jpg
Isn't he cute?

Posted by Van Helsing at November 23, 2005 09:34 AM

Comments

All of these lunatics forget that oxygen generating plants killed off the anerobic bacteria in the biosphere billions of years ago. Plants are the original polluters. If they hadn't poisoned the atmosphere with oxygen the aboriginal bacteria would still bask in dominion over the earth.
Return earth to the original inhabitants. Burn down a tree today!

Posted by: spiny widgmo at November 23, 2005 10:40 AM

I read Slaughterhouse-5 for the first time when I was 18. I liked it. I liked it so much I read some of his other stuff, Welcome to the Monkey House and Palm Sunday. Five years later, I was in college trying to get a degree in Secondary Education. I wanted to do a paper on censorship in the public schools. Slaughterhouse-5 constantly comes up on the "banned" list, along with Catcher in the Rye. In fact I think it was actually burned at one school in the Midwest. So I picked up Slaughterhouse-5 and read it a second time. I only got about 20 pages through it when it occured to me that this man has a screw loose. In Vonnegut's universe, human dignity is not only improbable, its impossible. By the end of my second reading, I wanted to ban it. I couldn't believe such shabby trash was given to our high school students.
Read it again for yourself. Its not a good book. If you want to read a good book by a World War II vet, read Heller's Catch-22. Its funny, scary, and it doesn't involve space aliens.
Vonnegut's writing appeals to a certain mind set. The mind set of a bright (but probably virginal) high school senior or college freshman. The kind of guys who have endless bull sessions over the existence or non-existence of God, or whether time travel is really possible. 99 percent of us outgrow this phase. I guess the moonbats never do.
To paraphrase a hero of mine, G.K. Chesterton: "All my life and to this day, I have always believed in Liberalism. But it has been a long time since I have believed in Liberals."

Posted by: phil at November 23, 2005 01:06 PM

His political views and writing is the perfect model for the "here's your author...and here's your author on drugs" advertisement.

I read all of his books back in the early 70's and thought he was great. Now that I have developed a conscience and ethical philosophy, I am so thankful I cannot recall a single word he wrote. And phil is correct; Heller is a hell of a writer of Catch-22, though Hollywood did its best to obscure it with the movie they made.

Posted by: dougrc at November 23, 2005 04:42 PM

Egads, Vonnegut's not dead yet?

I took a stab at reading him when I was a teenager, couldn't get through his books, found them spiritually bankrupt and not sane.

Looks like nothing's changed.

Posted by: Laura at November 23, 2005 05:36 PM

I read "Slaughterhouse Five" after learning it was a based on his experience in the bombing of Dresden.

With that description I expected a historical novel, and after hearing all the gushing praise from my fellow college students I expected it to actually be, you know, *good*. Instead, it was frivolous and pointless. What a disappointment - though the gushing praise should have tipped me off that it would be crap.

Shortly thereafter, he came and spoke at my university (this was in 1995, well before the BDS pandemic got started). Standing room only, naturally. He looked like a bum off the streets - dirty and disheveled. His speech was an incoherent mish-mash of anti-American topics. The only specific item I took away from the event was his over-the-top, glowing description of Morris Dees: 'I'm an atheist and don't believe in saints, but he's the closest thing we have to a living saint in this country', as my recollection goes. Mind, this was only about six months after the OKC bombing, when Dees was still exploiting the event to tar everyone to the right of, say, Arlen Specter as a right-wing domestic terrorist or supporter thereof.

Posted by: prince of leaves at November 24, 2005 04:44 PM

"Probably like a lot of people, I enjoyed Kurt Vonnegut's books as a teenager, then tried reading them as an adult and was appalled that I had ever wasted my time on such juvenile and sloppily written trash."

Thi is exactly how I feel about his kitch-writing.

Posted by: Felis at November 25, 2005 03:42 AM

So ashamed, so very ashamed, that I still have his books in our home library... though his drawing of a rectum in Breakfast of Champions (I believe it was there-they all sort of blur together) still gives me a mental chuckle when I'm horribly bored.

KV's abject moonbattery notwithstanding, I'd have to say that Cat's Cradle did impress upon me at an early age the sin of arrogance coupled with scientific endeavor. That one I would probably read again.

Posted by: The MaryHunter at November 27, 2005 11:59 AM

Of course Vonnegut has more readers on a bad day than Michelle "Talkin" Malkin has in a month.

How does "Moonbattery" stack up against Slaughterhouse Five sales?

Posted by: Ronald Reagan at November 28, 2005 01:51 PM

He has said sensible things on occasion. For example: "We become what we pretend to be, so we must be very careful about what we pretend to be."

It looks like he went from sounding like a nut to actually being a nut.

Posted by: Joseph Hertzlinger at November 29, 2005 02:52 PM

Regarding Vonnegut versus Malkin in number of readers: of course those pandering to the lowest common denominator will achieve a greater sum. Left-wing moonbats appeal mainly to self loathing individuals or idiots. Unfortunately, there is an ample supply of both.

Posted by: Pierce at November 30, 2005 12:28 PM