« Left Wingers Jump to Conclusions: FAIL | Main | Morning Briefs: Stuff You May Have Read Somewhere Else »

November 25, 2009

Let Them Eat Arugula

Posted by Gregory of Yardale at November 25, 2009 5:43 AM

In 2001, G. Walker Bush held his first state dinner, and the media sneered at his extravagance in the midst of (mild) recession: "The Bushes held their first state dinner. POTUS served buffalo meat, wore cowboy boots and welcomed Clint Eastwood. Meanwhile, the rest of America priced horse meat."

Flash forward to 2009, and the Obamas throw a gala state dinner in the midst of a far worse recession. And all of a sudden, vulgar extravagance in an era economic hardship is celebrated.

Now, the media rhapsodize about the "lush" table-settings and gush about the "star-studded" guest list.

"The afternoon preview revealed that the tables for the dinner would be draped with lush, apple green linens, with purple and fuchsia flowers in the centerpieces. Golden taper candles and golden silverware set off the gilded rims of the official state china.

At least one reporter interpreted the Obamas as flaunting their contempt at critics of their extravagance.

The dinner's first course was potato and eggplant salad with White House arugula and vinaigrette dressing. The arugula seemed a wink at Obama's critics -- and the soiree has ignited some, in light of the recession -- as it echoed his campaign-trail complaint about what Whole Foods was charging for arugula, a remark that drew charges of elitism.

The soiree has ignited "some," meaning only those crazy partisans who begrudge the president throwing a lavish, Court of Versailles style party in the midst of double-digit employment.

Honestly, I scanned ten or twenty stories on the event in the news searches at Google and Bing, and the recession was barely mentioned in the coverage at all. Otherwise, it was all gush and gawk at the razzle-dazzle.

The AP found time to gush about the First Lady's gown. Out in double-digit unemployment land, people wondered, "Didn't I see those curtains at K-Mart?"

michelle_curtains.jpg
Michelle Antoinette

The Obama guest list included Hollywood celebrities, mainstream media figures, and several officials from the SEUI... but no soldiers, no one from FoxNews, and no Republican members of congress.

Comments

God, I truly despise these vile, sub-human people...

Posted by: Fuzzlenutter at November 25, 2009 6:23 AM

I'm just waiting for Obama to claim his state dinner created or saved 50,000 jobs.

Posted by: V the K at November 25, 2009 6:38 AM

What? No chitlins?

Posted by: Movement O Bowel at November 25, 2009 6:45 AM

Damn no ammo belt? I have seen better teats on a dog after 4 litters of pups

Posted by: So What at November 25, 2009 6:48 AM

TOTUS should have served the Indian Ambassador Collard Greens, Turnips and Grits. The 1st Klingon could have treated the guests to several barrels of properly aged Blood Wine and Gak before challenging guest to test her Bat'leth skills.

Posted by: Winston Smith - Ministry of Truth at November 25, 2009 7:09 AM

Yes, but of course. But upon which delicacy did the true leader of these (somewhat)United States, the TPOTUS (Teleprompter of The United States) dine? 110 VAC.

I am a little amused and slightly concerned about the outrage over Obama's dinner. Based on what we knew (not what the MSM reported), did anybody expect humility, low key presentation, or foods we can spell? By no means am I the most sheltered person alive, but I do not believe I have ever seen arugula let alone tasted it, I actually looked for it as I was gathering my pedestrian feast (tortilla chips and the "gourmet" salsa )at WalMart last night, no arugula.

Posted by: Frank W. at November 25, 2009 7:21 AM

Oh please, the gushing and sheer joy exhibited by the MSM this morning would have made me sick if I had kept watching.
Look for Chris Matthews to be having on-air orgasms this afternoon.
Pass me another puke bag, please.
You Betcha, Puke bags for everyone, Darn it.

Posted by: Eneils Bailey at November 25, 2009 7:29 AM

Fuck all y'all. Stupid peasants.

Posted by: Mr. and Mrs. Barack Obama at November 25, 2009 7:38 AM

wait Frank....let me get this straight: Becuase you have never heard of or tasted arugula, no one should eat it? Because your diet consists of tortilla chips and salsa, another dish you would never have heard of had it not been for immigration, or whatever else costs 2 bucks at Walmart, the rest of us should have to eat that way too? You stick with that stuff, see how long you live.

Posted by: wingnutcracker at November 25, 2009 7:39 AM

Arugula is expensive - probably more so if its raised by Whitehouse staffers, how about a iceberg lettuce salad with salt and pepper on it like most struggling people eat these days? Arent they supposed to be sharing the pain with the "little people"?

Posted by: Winston Smith - Ministry of Truth at November 25, 2009 7:49 AM

Not "share the pain" Share the wealth.
Your wealth, not mine.
Dr, Cornielius's bag does seem to match the curtain in the background,,,,NO??
I'm surprised seiu thuggie didnt kick no ass.
I'm shure there were smaller people in the room,,,TENT!!
YUP, havent seen that much class since the Kennedys. wink wink nudge nudge

Posted by: czuch at November 25, 2009 8:19 AM

Liberal double standards makes me so freaking sick. They are the low life scums of this country. Also, what's with M'chelle's dress? Does anyone give her tips on how to put on clothes? It's a step up from the belt suit and the shower curtains but not by much.

Posted by: Jay B at November 25, 2009 8:34 AM

She has to stop drying her hair by hanging her head out the limo window.

Posted by: chuck in st paul at November 25, 2009 8:38 AM

Just fell out of my chair laughing, Chuck. The winner of that photo caption contest.

Posted by: UpNorth at November 25, 2009 8:41 AM

Check out the traps on FWOTUS! You think she's juicing?

Posted by: Henry at November 25, 2009 8:54 AM

African American unemployment at Great Depression levels

Posted by: J at November 25, 2009 9:15 AM

Ooohh! The awesome awesomeness of a suckcessfull Buh-LACK Woman! Those arms! Those cheeckbones! She a African Queen with Afro Sheen!

But what up with that wandering left eye?

Posted by: Tootie at November 25, 2009 9:16 AM

...lush, apple green linens, with purple and fuchsia flowers in the centerpieces...

Urgh. Michelle's as bad as Laura Bush, with her love of purple and lime green combos everywhere. I certainly didn't want the Gores in the White House, but at least Tipper Gore has taste.

Actually, the dress isn't half bad, but enough underarms! Exactly how low does the temperature have to drop, before Michelle covers her arms?

Posted by: Anonymous at November 25, 2009 9:53 AM

Tranny!!!

Posted by: obamasux at November 25, 2009 10:01 AM

Jesus! Looks like either the First (Lady) is either juicing or they were separated at birth.

Anyways, the Lamestream media will continue to fawn like schoolgirls over Chairman Zero no matter what he does. He could have a press conference, pull down his slacks and yell "America, kiss my ass!" and the media hacks' heads will explode with orgasm. He continues to flaunt his ability to rape the American taxpayers by throwing lavish parties and dates and unnecessary worlds trips while the rest of us are struggling. I'm sure their mindset is "Let Them Eat Arugula".

Posted by: Atomic Lib Smasher at November 25, 2009 10:28 AM

So What, you better thank God those teats are covered up. ;)

Posted by: Farmer Ted at November 25, 2009 11:00 AM

It is quite evident the diet of you asshats consists of McDonalds and rawhide. You guys want to give Michelle Obama wardrobe tips? Lol. This from a group who wear wife beater t's under your hood and robes.

Posted by: Anonymous at November 25, 2009 11:01 AM

Anyone else hear that annoying whine in the background? Or is that just me?

Posted by: Jay Guevara at November 25, 2009 11:40 AM

I have never had so much contempt for a group of people (speaking about BHO and crew) in my life.

I could give a hang about the state dinner...but when you think about what this Marxist pig is doing to the country, to our men and women in the military, to the Constitution...and then to see them yukking it up AT OUR EXPENSE! That is the end.

TYRANNY!

Posted by: Wyatt's Torch at November 25, 2009 12:15 PM

What is an asshat?
Sounds like assnonymoose fell out of the wrong side of the bed again. BTW, I never owned a "wife beater" and the only robes I ever wore were for graduation ceremonies, something you're obviously not familiar with.

Posted by: man of few words at November 25, 2009 12:18 PM

She couldn't decide which bracelet to wear so she wore all of them, and why does she have Christmas tree ornaments on her ears. That's stylin'! YUK!

Posted by: ed at November 25, 2009 12:23 PM

So even as hunddeds of former vietnam vets are ether living in cardboard boxes or can hardly makes ends meet our stinkhole emporer and empress live their fine lifestyles WHAT A COUPLE OF DIRTBAGS

Posted by: SPURWING PLOVER at November 25, 2009 12:49 PM

I have to say I have never seen Blaquie-O looking so elegant as she does in that particular sofa cover.

Posted by: Eric at November 25, 2009 12:57 PM

Good old nutsnacker, you can always count on him to show up whenever there's an opportunity to act like an elitist turd.

Posted by: Judith M. at November 25, 2009 1:21 PM

Every time she dresses up, I'm left pondering: Klingon or Nazgul? Klingon or Nazgul?

Posted by: Teh Mole at November 25, 2009 4:03 PM

Dennis Rodman is looking good.

Posted by: DANEgerus at November 25, 2009 6:36 PM

I still think she should be riding a horse and throwing a net over Charlton Heston.

Posted by: Jay Guevara at November 25, 2009 6:51 PM

Anonymous at November 25, 2009 11:01 AM was me.

Posted by: Lao at November 25, 2009 7:52 PM

Just saying Arugula was not in my local store and I had never seen or tasted it. I am not in the business of telling someone else what to eat (except my kids). If they like it, let em eat it. For all I care he can eat Brussels Sprouts with sushi (2 things I have tasted and hated). BTW I had a salad for lunch that day and as for the salsa I purchased the non-jar fresh style (might be homemade) sorta makes it a mini tomato based vegetable dish with baked corn tortilla chips. And as the great grand kid of a "legal" immigrant I am cool with "legal" immigrants.

Posted by: Frank W at November 25, 2009 8:36 PM

This is too much for ol FLU-BIRD now excuse me while i ralph up the moonbat i et COUGH,COUGH,COUGH KKKKAAAAHHHAAAACCCCKKKK

Posted by: Flu-Bird at November 25, 2009 9:45 PM

Lao at 7:52 pm wasn't me. I'd never say anything that stupid.

Posted by: Anonymous at November 25, 2009 11:40 PM

I swear I've seen that woman down at The Kitty Klub.

Posted by: Al Gore at November 26, 2009 12:37 AM

The poor makeup staff. They have an impossible job.

Posted by: Bob at November 26, 2009 1:44 AM

Lao at 7:52 pm wasn't me. I'd never say anything that stupid.

Yes I would.

Posted by: Lao at November 26, 2009 2:10 AM

Funny how the trolls don't understand that the thing that's irritating about this is the double standard of the press. Or are they just trying to distract from the heart of the matter, as usual?

Posted by: Judith M. at November 26, 2009 4:59 AM