« Obama Snitch Line Poster Collection | Main | One Smart Dog »

August 10, 2009

Bureauweenies Shut Down 7-Year-Old's Lemonade Stand

In the Age of Obama, capitalism must be nipped in the bud:

On a tip from The Blogprof.

Posted by Van Helsing at August 10, 2009 5:07 PM

Comments

$2 A GLASS?!? Holy crap. Talk about "windfall" profits... LOL

Tulare tax dollars hard at work... absolutely absurd. We used to sell lemonade at the corner of 75th and Lexington, and even in the 70's that had to have been a busier intersection, but no one ever hassled us. We even gave freebies to the beat cops.

If the city employees have this much free time, obviously the unions have forced an under-productive, over-bloated work force onto the taxpayers.

Posted by: Henry at August 10, 2009 5:22 PM

Even in a capitalist society, there needs to be some regulation as to where businesses can operate. A kid selling lemonade on mom and dad's front lawn shouldn't be a problem. At a heavily trafficked intersection, it may be lemonade this time, next it'll be some crunchy-granola type with a pony tail selling t-shirts denouncing town hall thuggery! Then it'll be flowers, hot dogs, who knows what.

Interesting bit, it's happened before in other places, but c'mon folks - let's pick our battles.

Posted by: Son of Taz at August 10, 2009 6:04 PM

Have those reptiles no shame what stupid liberal law was the kid violating now HAND BUREAWEENIES THIS REALY RUFFLES MY FEATHERS IM ONE MAD SHOREBIRD SQUAWK SQUAWK SQUAWK

Posted by: SPURWING PLOVER at August 10, 2009 9:18 PM

I dont see the problem with enforcing some safety. As the mayor said, if she wants to sell lemonade in her front yard, she is more than welcome. What is the big issue? Lets be serious, there has to be some beaurocracy in a civil society.

Posted by: Andrew at August 10, 2009 11:05 PM

Oh please, why don't they concentrate on the shady dudes that try to sell you crack on the subway? This little girl is a trooper.

Posted by: JP Strauss at August 11, 2009 3:06 AM

I don't think this was an attack on Capitalism.
The kid was selling in an unsafe area.
It wasn't outside her home.

Okay so there's not enough traffic there, in front of her home. I understand that. It looks to me like the City wanted to make a compromise, and move the stand to a safer location.

Under the same premise, I grew up in Southern California, and I know that street vendors can really pick dangerous (and lousy) locations to peddle their oranges, gum, or windshield washing service.

This kid's case could be cited as a precident to allow the streets of Tulare to resemble Tijuana some day, and I am not in favor of that.

That said, I think the Dad could have helped set her up in a better location. I think that is an even bigger question.

Posted by: Mike at August 11, 2009 6:54 AM

Hey you anti-Capitolists!!!
Please cite any accidents that have occurred while
this little girl was selling Lemonade.
Please identify the party of the bureaucrat who used the lame excuse "...its hazardpous".
Please cite the unionaffillation of the clown who cited her.
Enough of regulations for bogus excuses to regulate...

Posted by: serfer62 at August 11, 2009 11:31 AM

I live in the Tulare area, and all I've got to say is 'regulations my eye'. Drive thru anywhere here in Southern California and try to count the number of illegal aliens selling fruit from the back of their trucks on the side of the road. 'She was in an unsafe area.' sounds like a cop out to me. I have watched the same illegal park his truck in a busy intersection for the past month trying to sell watermelons, and no one does anything about him! I refuse to believe that it was a safety issue. Some illegal probably got mad that this little girl was making way more sales than he was, and called to complain.

Posted by: SnapperTrx at August 11, 2009 12:06 PM

How Dare that Right-wing Capitalist munchkin sell Lemonade from a private kisok, BEFORE 'DearLeader' Obama appoints His Lemonade Czar...

Posted by: mbs1960 at August 11, 2009 5:25 PM