« British Police Asked to Provide Criminals With Treadmills | Main | ABC Employees Overwhelmingly Supported Comrade Obama »

June 19, 2009

Climate Skeptic Richard Lindzen Encounters Liberal Tolerance

As a result of catastrophic climate change, MIT physicist and global warming skeptic Richard Lindzen has been unable to get his burnt rug appraised.

Lindzen is an accomplished guy. From his bio:

Prof. Lindzen is a recipient of the AMS's Meisinger, and Charney Awards, the AGU's Macelwane Medal, and the Leo Huss Walin Prize. He is a member of the National Academy of Sciences, and the Norwegian Academy of Sciences and Letters, and a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, the American Association for the Advancement of Sciences, the American Geophysical Union and the American Meteorological Society. He is a corresponding member of the NAS Committee on Human Rights, and has been a member of the NRC Board on Atmospheric Sciences and Climate and the Council of the AMS.

But after a fire damaged his rug, a Boston-area art appraiser refused to determine the rug's value, emailing this explanation:

I am sorry to inform you that after some consideration, I've decided not to perform the appraisal service that you've requested. Your writing on the subject of global warming is offensive to me personally, and I feel that I would have difficulty being an impartial appraiser of value given my view on the subject.

Unappraised burnt rugs can now be added to The List.

On a tip from mandible claw.

Posted by Van Helsing at June 19, 2009 7:58 AM

Comments

I probably wouldn't do business with someone whose writings bashed Mormons; I would never vote for Mike Huckabee because of his history of Mormon bashing. I can understand how a leftist would be offended at someone speaking heresy against his religion.

Posted by: V the K at June 19, 2009 8:08 AM

No tolorence from a bunch of green nazis under the green swatika HITLER WAS A ENVIROMENTALISTS

Posted by: SPURWING PLOVER at June 19, 2009 8:12 AM

V the K, you're absolutely right, it IS a religion, kind of like worship of Hitler was too.

Posted by: Worst of Gallstone at June 19, 2009 8:17 AM

Posted by: IOpian at June 19, 2009 8:20 AM

think the ACLU will take this one?

Posted by: blue at June 19, 2009 8:40 AM

IOpian, it's obvious - Lindzen is a shill for Big Oil. There can be no other explanation. The science proves it. [ or was that the Scientology proves it...? ] (/sarc)

Posted by: chuck in st paul at June 19, 2009 9:00 AM

Yes, that's what he said. Let's just put it in quotes to make it even easier for you: "Your burnt rug caused global warming" Did I get that right?

Posted by: Anonymous at June 19, 2009 9:37 AM

It may seem petty, but at least he was being honest, in his left-handed moonbatty way, and didn't resort to cursing, or send a protest crew around. There are numerous people I'd rather not perform services for, so I understand that. However, their money spends just as well as anyone's, so I'd tend to take it, and leave it to the moonbats to be sensitive at actual expense.

Posted by: Mr Evilwrench at June 19, 2009 10:32 AM

To tell the truth, the art appraiser probably did the Lindzen a favor by passing on the job, especially if he couldn't be objective in his appraisal. A lot of moonbats wouldn't have said anything, they just would have low balled the appraisal to punish him.

Posted by: Judith M. at June 19, 2009 10:33 AM

Sonia Sotomayor is a Boston-area art appraiser? I thought she was acting like a judge these days?

Oh whoops, I see. Forget it. The judge in this story disclosed his/her inability to be impartial and refused to make a ruling.

Posted by: Jed at June 19, 2009 11:04 AM

i'm with judith. the appraiser, this still for the moment being america, has the right to turn down jobs he doesn't want; has the right to refuse to work for people he despises. yeah, his reasons for passing the job are idiotic, but that's besides the point. this is america: you can think they way you want, for a little while longer, anyway.

he passed the job like a man and he explained his reasons - moronic as they were - like a man. no harm no foul. i DO suspect that should the same thing happen to him - should he lose business because a customer tells him his political beliefs are "offensive" to that customer - i suspect he'd squeal like a stuck pig, but that's another story.

Posted by: nom de guerre at June 19, 2009 1:04 PM

"his reasons - moronic as they were"

If any of the thousands of people you guys whine about were to give you an opportunity to tell them what you think, you'd definitely jump at it. Who wouldn't? It human nature.

For people who are supposed to support a person's right to do and say as they please, you spent far too much time complaining about people who use that right.

Find something better for goodness sake.

Posted by: Anonymous at June 19, 2009 2:52 PM

"Notice how the rug appraiser places his 'view' on non existent global warming beyond equal standing with someone who is an expert on climate?"

Its a constant on this site. IMHO is the most commonly used phrase by you folks. Even when others have MBIO (Much better informed opinions)

Posted by: Anonymous at June 19, 2009 3:07 PM

Too bad this didn't happen in New Mexico. Remember this?

"The New Mexico Human Rights court sentenced Christian photographer Elaine Huguenin a fine of $6,637.94 for refusing to photograph a gay commitment ceremony."

Posted by: Alan at June 19, 2009 3:18 PM

hey, anonymous 2:52 -

work on those poor reading skills so more, huh? the key sentence in my earlier post was "this is america: you can think the way you want."

naturally, you (evidently) being an idiot liberal, you couldn't be bothered to read that far and took my *defense* of the dumbass appraiser as an *attack*. pointing out the appraiser's imbecility in no way negates my defense of his right to his stupid stupid STUPID beliefs. (it's a variation of a concept liberals claimed to believe in 200 years or so ago:"i disagree with what you say, but i'll defend your right to say it". now, of course, you clowns are into speech *restrictions*. times change, huh?) then you even included a gratuitous "you people" phrasing in to boot!

project much?

you people should find better reading skills, for goodness sake.

Posted by: nom de guerre at June 19, 2009 3:21 PM

nom de guerre, it's just another anony-troll doing the harpy thing - swoop, poop, fly away. Perhaps mommy was calling with milk and cookies.

In the meantime I'd like anony-troll to specify some instances where 'better informed' folks held informed contrary opinions based on facts and/or science... Oh yeah, AGW isn't one of them troll. There is no AGW. The best 'maybe' involves turning forests into farmland - different albedoes. Cow farts and SUV's aren't even in the running.

Posted by: chuck in st paul at June 19, 2009 3:42 PM

Nom de merde,

I read your whole post. I'll pay attention to what I like, thanks. I'm not speaking DIRECTLY to you, but making a larger point. Usually people here will not admit that some opinions are better informed on certain topics than others. Just driving that one home.

Although speaking of reading, I never mentioned restrictions on anyone's speech. Say what you like! So will I. I love that we can disagree and say it all! Woo hoo! Land of the free!

I've been readin and posting here for a while now, and yes, feel completely validated in using "you people" just as you feel completely validated using "moonbat" That's an opinion formed by reading many many of "you people's" posts.

Like it, lump it, or move away!

Posted by: Anonymous at June 19, 2009 4:27 PM

Aw up-chuck,

You all refer to the milk-and-cookie-living-in-parent's-basement loser cartoon. It makes me wonder just how familiar you are with it all to revert to that story so much.

As for global warming climate change - I do not claim to be an expert, and like you can only read and try to understand what my scientific betters have written and combine it with my common sense, which obviously leads me to a much different place than you are.

You know so much apparently, that you can condense it down to cow farts and SUV's. Interesting! I've never heard this before. The scientific journals are sure to come calling.

Posted by: Anonymous at June 19, 2009 4:33 PM

Try telling a Muslim you won't serve him because of your differing view on his religion.

But just as well, don't give Moonbats any of that crass capitalist enterprise money they so despise!

Posted by: BURNING HOT at June 19, 2009 8:07 PM

RE: Posted by: Anonymous at June 19, 2009 4:27 PM

Awww....LoonyPippywhatever got it's widdle feelings hurt!!

Should I fill out a DOD Form IMT WF1 Hurt Feelings Report?

Yeah, yeah, yeah - you can think and say what you want, and we really don't care.

This is America, and you have a RIGHT to be a loudmouthed, under-informed self-righteous moron.

We wouldn't want it any other way.

Posted by: TonyD95B at June 20, 2009 7:52 AM

anon 4:33 -

ya know, that badass john wayne 'like it, lump it, or move away' speech of yours tends to lose a little potency when you sign it "anonymous".

since you seem to reckon that true reading comprehension consists of "paying attention to what you like", that means i can play, too, right?

so i've decided "you people" are just a pack of wasted air, too stupid for even the 'idiocracy' traveling dinner theater troupe. couldn't remember the lines, undoubtedly. like it, lump it, or move away. loser.

Posted by: nom de guerre at June 21, 2009 1:36 AM