« Not a Christian Nation? | Main | Why You Need a Gun »

May 24, 2009

Congress Degenerates Into Vaudeville

The federal kakistocracy is preparing a death blow to the already teetering economy in the form of deranged "cap and trade" legislation, which will deliberately suppress productive activity in the name of the discredited global warming hoax. Republicans threatened to buy America a little time by forcing the entire 946-page bill to be read aloud in Congress. Not even Henry Waxman, the left-wing freak who has been ramming this act of economic sabotage through the Energy and Commerce Committee he chairs, is familiar with its contents, as he admits here:

If not even Waxman could be troubled to read this monstrosity, imagine have to sit through someone reading it aloud. Dems countered the Republican threat by bringing in a speed reader. Here he is in action:

The next two generations of Americans will grow up in poverty as a result of the farce currently unfolding in Washington. Let's hope the laughs are worth it.

Hat tip: The Blogprof.

Posted by Van Helsing at May 24, 2009 11:23 AM

Comments

Waxman couldn't even answer the SIMPLE question "did you read this?".

In the You-Tube comments, the Liberals are accusing commenters of being "religious", calling Waxman a "REPUBLICAN" and howling that the bill was written by "scientists"!

Posted by: KHarn at May 24, 2009 3:00 PM

Waxman would make a great Nero.

Posted by: Judith M. at May 24, 2009 7:56 PM

When this clown is finished, Joe Barton should state that he didn't understand the mangling of the language, and ask that it be repeated at a normal cadence.

Posted by: Smokey at May 24, 2009 8:03 PM

Nothing like a speed reader going through a ridiculous read like an amendment to a bill, written in legal-ese, at an unintelligible pace. Keep in mind, when the goal is to be understood, this is absolutely unacceptable. I work as a broadcaster, and if I ever did a read like that, I would likely lose my job.
This circus sideshow accomplished nothing. This was for *purely* for show. A spectacle. Shame on these people for allowing this. Nobody developed an understanding of what is actually in the bill, and all the applause and laughter while it was unfolding proved it was nothing more than that. The reader didn't even make it past the table of contents!
Is this really how our elected officials perform their duties?

Posted by: Murff at May 25, 2009 4:02 AM

That is so true, Murff! I can't believe the flagrant disregard for the spirit of the law. What is the point of a provision that says Congress can require an oral reading of a law before calling for a vote on it? To ensure that our elected officials know what's in it before voting on it! So they hire a speed reader to fulfill the letter of the law but not the spirit? And these are the people who are writing laws?! Our legislative system has officially become a farce.

Posted by: Judith M. at May 25, 2009 4:27 AM

This is not wit. It is nitwit. Sickening.

Posted by: mo at May 25, 2009 7:55 AM

SQUAWK SQUAWK TRAITORS ALL OF THEM PUTTING POLITCAL FAVORTISM OVER A NATION AND ITS CITIZENS NEEDS THEY ALL DESERVE TO BE VOTED OUT OF OFFICE AND BANISHED TO THE FURTHIST STAR IN THE UNIVERSE SQUAWK SQUAWK SQUAWK SPURWING PLOVER IS MAD SQUAWK SQUAWK SQUAWK

Posted by: SPURWING PLOVER at May 25, 2009 8:11 AM

Posted by: oldguy at May 25, 2009 9:35 AM

I don't know what these people in Congress are counting on. It's as if they don't understand that they are destroying the economy. But they must. They can't be that dense. So I don't understand what they are counting on.

Posted by: Kevin R at May 25, 2009 3:17 PM

pardon my french, but, Im glad these fucking nitwits think strangling our fucking economy for NO FUCKING GOOD REASON WHATSOEVER is good for a bunch of yuks but what about the rest of us who actually have functioning brains and listen to the data saying global warming is COMPLETE BULLSHIT. All these fuckers should be made to ride bicycles everywhere and fertilize their backyard gardens with THEIR OWN SHIT!!!! Waxman is just repulsive.

Posted by: johndoe at May 25, 2009 9:53 PM

"This question should be asked of the American people: Have you had enough of this government?
Posted by: oldguy at May 25, 2009 9:35 AM"

My torches and pitchforks are ready to go.

Posted by: Murff at May 26, 2009 4:39 AM

I went over to Gradegov.com and Waxman has F's in both his district and nationally. Lots of hate mail. Please go over and sign up and put your two cents in.
I would also like to know who was doing the laughing.

Posted by: Karin at May 26, 2009 6:27 AM

""I don't know what these people in Congress are counting on. It's as if they don't understand that they are destroying the economy.""

They are counting on the fact , that in the past , no matter WHAT they did ...guys like me simply work harder , produce more , and pull off yet another save . That can't go on indefinitely .

Posted by: Anonymous at May 26, 2009 7:57 AM

I'm not laughing. This is not funny. I have no cheeky comments to make. .
What happened to MY/OUR America?????
Torches and Pitchforks indeed.
2010/2012 or 2013. which revolution do ya want?

Posted by: Anonymous at May 26, 2009 2:29 PM

RE: Posted by: Murff at May 25, 2009 4:02 AM

"Keep in mind, when the goal is to be understood, this is absolutely unacceptable."

Aye, laddie - the goal is not to be understood, but to obfuscate. I like to believe (after all, I am an optimist) that even many Liberals would have enough sense to object to this nonsense if they knew what it really was.

I'm sure in many cases, the Congresscritters are depending on summaries prepared by staffers, and possibly lobbyists. It would be interesting to read a few of those and compare.

What I would really like to know is where this 946 page document came from. No one seems to have time to read it, yet someone had time to write it.

How did this, the budget, and all these other acane and weighty pieces of legislation get thrown together so quickly? What are they hiding in there? Whose agenda is being persued here?

Posted by: TonyD95B at May 27, 2009 5:35 AM

"The Budget" was a misnomer - I was referring more to the "Bailout", and the largest and most significant spending increase in our history.

Posted by: TonyD95B at May 27, 2009 5:43 AM