« Open Thread | Main | Obama Demands Christian Symbol Be Covered »

April 17, 2009

Socialist Speed Bumps

You might think that potholes should be repaired. You might even think that's what the government is there for. But no: repairing potholes costs taxpayer money that could better be used for bureaucrats' salaries. Besides, potholes serve a purpose: they're like speed bumps, but even more effective, because the bigger they get, the more they slow you down.

Officials in the small English village of Navestock, some 25 miles (40 kilometers) northeast of London, are considering leaving many of the town's potholes unfilled as a way to bedevil the speeders who zip through town at a breakneck pace.
There's another advantage as well: Leaving the potholes alone is a lot cheaper than fixing them.
City councilor Mike Parrish said the plan would help return many of the town's smaller roads to their original status as country lanes.
"It seems potholes are good on our quiet little back roads," he said. "Not fixing those might save us time and cost and also be a traffic calming measure."

No wonder our liberal rulers don't want us driving SUVs. They might enable us to navigate degenerating roads. Ideally, there would be no roads, only light rail tracks leading back and forth between the housing project and the welfare office.

With socialized medicine taking hold, progressive ingenuity will soon be applied to medicine. Government doctors will refuse to operate on lung cancer, because having it makes patients less likely to smoke, thus improving their health.

pothole.jpg
A socialist speed bump slows down a driver.

On a tip from Shawarma Mayor.

Posted by Van Helsing at April 17, 2009 8:45 AM

Comments

A person nees to be deeply ignorant and uneducated to believe that socialism ofers anything positive.

Posted by: J at April 17, 2009 9:12 AM

If you are from around here (NE Ohio), and damage your vehicle you are entitled to be reimbursed for the cost of repairs. This works quite nicely to keep the road crews out and about. Now if we could just get them to work 8 hours.......

Posted by: Stephana at April 17, 2009 9:57 AM

Your anger and your ignorance are painful to listen to. I'll bookmark your site for when I need to show ignorance on full display.

Posted by: Feeling sorry for you folks at April 17, 2009 10:34 AM

Could you please explain what you are referring to? Many of the sake sentiments are expressed on the opposite side in the same fasion but go ahead and ignorantly proclaim ignorance. Atlas will shrug.

Posted by: Krouse at April 17, 2009 11:01 AM

Your anger and your ignorance are painful to listen to.

Dude where did you get the Moonbattery audio tapes? Do tell!

I'll bookmark your site for when I need to show ignorance on full display.

Cool man. While you're at it, could you provide some examples of our ignorance? Maybe offer a differing view point? Throw out a little reason and logic for us to gobble up?

Posted by: cowlove at April 17, 2009 11:10 AM

Hey guys, in The Peoples Republic of Minnesota we just caption pictures like that "Spring". That's why I drive an F150 with 4-wheel, it helps getting out of the potholes once the ice melts out.

Posted by: chuck in st paul at April 17, 2009 1:58 PM

I'm with the town on this one. Anything that slows these drunken British fools ripping around blind curves between 1 cm distance to the curb and 1 cm to the lorry on the right works for me.

Posted by: Fiberal at April 17, 2009 2:51 PM

This reminds me of the city of Eugene Oregon. They have implemented every green and welfare initiative in the left's playbook. The payoff: streets pocked with potholes and potheads(the police can't afford to arrest all but the worst criminals.)

Posted by: WRPAC at April 17, 2009 3:26 PM

Yo - Feeling Sorry For You Folks,

Yes, please bookmark this site.

We really don't want you to leave. Feel free to use the same name each time you post, so we'll know who you are. Anonymous posts are pretty lame.

If you hang around long enough cowlove might teach you a thing or two.

Remember, even Ronaldus Maximus was a Democrat once.

Posted by: TonyD95B at April 17, 2009 4:59 PM

doh!

Posted by: Heather M at April 17, 2009 7:38 PM

I really think most people on this posting on this site should do a little traveling and see the world. You seem to thing there are only two types of systems, capitalism or socialism while really it is a continuum. Having lived in Holland and England for several years and traveled in the rest of europe, one thing is certain. People are noticeably more relaxed, eat better food, are in better health and I will for the rest of my life miss traveling on the train from Amsterdam to London, or anywhere else, while relaxing, working on my laptop, reading the paper or taking a nap... 4 years with no car and I never missed it once. Think about it next time your stuck in rush hour traffic... and why they never show that in car adds.

Posted by: Anonymous at April 18, 2009 4:27 AM

Back a few years ago the eco-freaks demanded that some communities be prophbited from filling in their pothole claiming they contained uncounted lifeforms LIBERAL MOONBATS ARE WACKOS

Posted by: SPURWING PLOVER at April 18, 2009 7:27 AM

You ask for examples of your ignorance and the article above is about "socialist speed bumps" with a photo of a car sticking out of a hole. Hmmmm, how about I rest my case right there, and say "moonbats" is indeed a perfect name for your site. I love it. Keep up the good work. You're driving the nation away from your marginal viewpoint in droves.

And about "anonymous" posts. Does it really matter? Does anyone know who "Heather M" is or you "WRPAC"? Who is that? We're exchanging views here ... not phone numbers.

Posted by: Anonymous at April 18, 2009 8:50 AM

Anon-O-Moose,

Yes, it really matters, and yes, I actually have been face to face with others who post here.

We are exchanging views here, and we have no problem being accoutable for them.

As I've told you before (or was that one of the other "Nony-Mouse" posters?), stick around - you might learn someting.

It's your own insecurity that makes you so d#mn angry - but we're tryin' to help ya.....we really are.

Posted by: TonyD95B at April 18, 2009 9:28 AM

You'd like to talk about accountability? Go ahead and try being accountable for the nonsense article above. I think you'll find it difficult to defend. Instead you're sidetracked on whether or not I post my name.

The piece above starts with the pretty innocuous subject of potholes in England and that people on these back lanes prefer that it slows people down. Then makes weird statements about going from "the welfare office to the housing project." And then proceeds to sum it all up by moving on to lung cancer. RIght, you guys are teaching me a lot.

How any of these amazing leaps of "reason" or "logic" (as cowlove calls them) are grounded in fact or research or published article or anything that might be able to be discussed or argued is completely absent.

But please, just keep on rambling about anonymous posts. Completely ignoring the point I've made that posting as "TonyD95B" doesn't tell me who you are any more than posting as "anonymous" And obviously you're able to tell that's its me again!

As I said, you ARE helping me. And as I said "moonbats" -- the name is just right. So keep on helping me. I love you little kooks!

Posted by: Anonymous at April 18, 2009 10:00 AM

Anonymous,

Yep, it's definitely "you".

The posting on "Socialist Speed Bumps" (with links back to it's source) has a lot of continuity with other postings on this site over the years, and fits in with an overall pattern of Moonbat behavior. Yes, there's a lot left unsaid, but we "get" it - apparently you haven't been hanging 'round long enough to see it, or are not observant enough to care.

Speaking of "observant", you say, ""TonyD95B" doesn't tell me who you are any more than posting as "anonymous" And obviously you're able to tell that's its me again!" (I won't be critical of your punctuation).

Besides the fact that my tag tells you several things about me (and several more if you make a few simple assumptions), it also provides continuity in my posts, and lets everyone out here know that'it's me.

And it makes D#MN SURE they'll never mistake me for you, or for any of the other people out there today (one of whom is definitely NOT you) posting as "Anonymous".

What's this thing you have about being "anonymous"? Is it a bathouse thing, or is it possibly connected to the Leftist habit of publishing names and addresses of contributors to political causes they don't like, or other "enemies", real or imagined?

Yes, Anonymous - it's definitely "you".

Posted by: TonyD95B at April 19, 2009 12:35 PM

Hey Tony,

I challenged you to come up with some defense of the artice and your response is this. Nothing.

Its an article about potholes in England. Not America. The photo has been used for at least ten different articles on the web, and I seriously doubt has any correlation to the present piece.

I still think you're overly concerned about the anonymous aspect, but here you go. A name for ya. Now that we're past that, want to try and defend this piece?

The last sentence reads: "Government doctors will refuse to operate on lung cancer, because having it makes patients less likely to smoke, thus improving their health." Hmm, how about trying to defend it when you look at the photo of the 100-year-old lady smoking? I thought you guys were pro-smoking and denied that it even caused lung cancer.

How can I think anything but that you can't think logically. The two articles directly oppose each other and yet you want to defend them both?

And weren't you the guy who was just saying that it liberals who resort to correcting grammar and spelling? Grammar Nazis or something like that you said. Guess its not just liberals who are hypocrites ... everyone's doing it!

And the bath house reference. Yuck. Sounds like you know more about it than me, but I don't care to hear more.

Posted by: Moon bat at April 19, 2009 2:27 PM

Moonbat,

"Pro Smoking"? Where'd you get that?

Jeez, am I now responsible for everything and everybody here?

Glad to see you have a name now - it will separate you from the "anonymous" crowd, although it looks like you're using both names still.

We were gonna ask you to wear a bag over your head and be "The Unknown Moonbat" when you post, but now you're just "Moonbat".

I guess that means you're sticking around. I look forward to seeing you out here in the future.

I know you agreee with us more than you'll admit.

We are now so far off the topic that I'll bail out first. You can have the last word; I'm not coming back to this thread.

"Later, Moonbat!"

(has a nice ring to it......)

Posted by: TonyD95B at April 19, 2009 2:58 PM

Just using the name you guys gave me. You all seem so fond of name calling, I thought I'd just make it easy for you! ;-)

Posted by: Moon bat at April 19, 2009 3:23 PM

PS - I get pro-smoking from a very recent post on this site.

Posted by: Moon bat at April 19, 2009 4:08 PM

Moonbat please go soak your head in cement

Posted by: SPURWING PLOVER at April 19, 2009 5:23 PM

Spurwing Plover. All you seem to be able to do is throw around insults. Try something else!

Besides the fact that your insults are lame (soak my head in cement, I think Im going to cry) Insults won't get you anywhere.

Aren't you the one who said something about the storm troopers coming to your house to take your guns? Yeah that was you. Try talking about something that ACTUALLY HAPPENED. Try living in the real world.

Posted by: Moon bat at April 19, 2009 7:55 PM