« Open Thread | Main | Oath Keepers Prepare for Chairman Zero's Next Steps »

March 13, 2009

Obama Doesn't Want to Pay for Medical Care for Wounded Vets

The Obama administration has been throwing our money around by the $trillions, quadrupling the national debt in only a few weeks. But there is one expenditure so frivolous that not even Chairman Zero will accede to it: medical care for wounded vets:

Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki confirmed Tuesday that the Obama administration is considering a controversial plan to make veterans pay for treatment of service-related injuries with private insurance.

As Obama's insane spending spree inevitably causes the economy to collapse, things are going to get ugly. He'd best not expect the military to fire on fellow Americans on his behalf. Although it is nice that he cares enough about the troops to want them to have the private healthcare he is in the process of denying to the rest of us.

Hat tips: Hot Air, Jawa Report; on tips from Burning Hot and AC.

Posted by Van Helsing at March 13, 2009 10:29 AM

Comments

figures, make vets pay but illegals get care for free. makes me so proud to be a vet. you can call him chairman zero, I'll call him Chief Douchenozzle

Posted by: zen at March 13, 2009 10:44 AM

I just don't get this creep. It's like he's trying on purpose to NOT be on the side of the angels. Another example is his limitation on charitable deductions. It's all just so politically ham-handed, from someone who is supposed to be so "brilliant."

Posted by: Karin at March 13, 2009 11:15 AM

Team O has said in crisis there is opportunity. Let them use this opportunity to address healthcare matters within the VA. Let's see what they can do with a limited problem before making it universal. Then once a universal system is in place we should demand that all in government use it.

Posted by: IOpian at March 13, 2009 11:15 AM

Shocker! Uninsured not jamming emergency rooms

1st major study contradicts conventional assumptions and shows that

it is those "insured" by the government who have no place else to go

Hospital emergency rooms are overcrowded because uninsured patients have nowhere else to turn. Right? Wrong, says a study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association. Hospital emergency rooms are, indeed, jammed. But it's not for the reason proponents of nationalized health care suggest.

The study, "Uninsured Adults Presenting to U.S. Emergency Departments: Assumptions vs. Data," found most emergency rooms are packed because more patients of all kinds – insured and uninsured alike – are choosing to visit them. Further, the study found, emergency room patients are being kept there longer than necessary when they should often be checked in or treated in a doctor's office. "This is a larger problem, and the emergency room is the canary in the coal mine," explained Carla Keirns, a contributor to the study.

In conducting the first study of its kind, researchers discovered other scholarly papers on the uninsured found that most simply assumed the uninsured are the principal cause of emergency room overcrowding. In fact, Devon Hetrick, senior fellow at the National Center for Policy Analysis, blamed those carrying government insurance for much of the overcrowding of emergency rooms.

"It's not the uninsured who burden America's emergency rooms so much as it is people who are carrying government insurance policies," he said. "The low reimbursement rates offered doctors by government programs means very few will accept taxpayer-funded insurance any more, leaving those on government plans to visit ERs for care instead of primary-care physicians."

www.worldnetdaily.com/?pageId=91258

Posted by: Artfldgr at March 13, 2009 12:05 PM

PresBO snubs them again! I hope ALL the military remembers this when he needs protected.

Posted by: TED at March 13, 2009 12:24 PM

He won't need the military to fire on fellow Americans on his behalf; he'll have his civilian defense corps to do the job for him.

Posted by: Pam at March 13, 2009 12:46 PM

Payback for the lukewarm reception O's received from the troops? Or does he just prefer to give the money to ACORN?

Posted by: Jay Guevara at March 13, 2009 12:56 PM

So this administration encourages people that ought to be self-reliant to depend on government, but makes the military--the people in the government's charge--use their own insurance (won't that drive their rates up?). Is that about right?

Posted by: Thorne at March 13, 2009 1:26 PM

What really irks me is that soon we'll be seeing people like Pelosi with her neurotic eye tick proclaiming Ted Kennedy's sacrifice and service to our country as the best medicine in the world attempts to prolong his useless self serving life. While somewhere in some hospital a young American simply needs basic care for the burn scars , missing limbs or mental anguish earned while sacrificing and serving their country. Unlike Kennedy these are people that would have dove into cold water until they found their companions without consideration of their careers.

Posted by: IOpian at March 13, 2009 1:41 PM

I'd hate to consider the premium for someone who may face actual COMBAT.

Posted by: Mr Evilwrench at March 13, 2009 1:42 PM

Saw this yesterday. Made me feel literally sick to my stomach.

Um, if these soldiers need treatment for service-related injuries, wouldn't those qualify as "pre-existing conditions"?

Anyone here ever try to get private health insurance while you have a pre-existing condition? I have. Ask me if I have health insurance...

Here's the kicker...

Un-freaking-believable!

I have to go lie down...

Posted by: Henry at March 13, 2009 1:48 PM

As much as I dislike the big O, I really don't think he'd be stupid enough to do something like this.

The nation OWES its soldiers a lifetime of provided healthcare, ESPECIALLY if they're wounded in the line of duty. They're the ONLY ones that deserve health care provided by the government.

Signing a bill that cut this off would be political (and potentially REAL) suicide. For EVERYONE involved.

Posted by: Cheesecake at March 13, 2009 2:29 PM

Is it because most wounded vets are too WHITE for Obama's tastes?

Posted by: Anonymous at March 13, 2009 2:51 PM

WASHINGTON IDIOCY----POLITICAL SUICIDE

Posted by: JIMMCCOR at March 13, 2009 2:52 PM

Cheesecake, perhaps Our Dear Leader is, in fact, TOO smart to NOT do something like this. His grassroots MooveOn.org core will dance in the streets if he forces those babykillers to fend for themselves.

Mr Evilwrench, Dr. O did, of course, survive real combat. He came through the Chicago political machine.

Anonymous: that's too funny, since many in the civil rights trenches think The Immaculator is actually too white himself.

Posted by: The MaryHunter at March 13, 2009 2:55 PM

Baby killers? So what is abortion exactly?

Hmm?

Posted by: Cheesecake at March 13, 2009 3:07 PM

Henry's beaten me to the punch, but for those of you who don't click on his link--BOO has made veterans' family "her cause." Rumor has it she'll be distributing band-aids at the Hollywood Canteen.

Posted by: ruddie at March 13, 2009 3:14 PM

Look at the constant mocking of John McCain's inability to type or raise his arms above his head. He was just tortured mercilessly by the Viet Cong but the liberals were on the side of the VC in that war just like they are on the side of the Muslims in this one.

Posted by: SK at March 13, 2009 3:22 PM

Obama quadrupled the annual DEFICIT, not the National Debt. Im sure someone will pick at that. Though if you extend all the new spending out over 10 years, that may very well be true for both!

Had Bush proposed such a thing, the MSM would have had a field day with it on the Sunday morning news shows. Because its the Messiah it wont be mentioned.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 13, 2009 8:02 PM

As sleazy as always always expect that from the liberal demacraps

Posted by: SPURWING PLOVER at March 13, 2009 8:09 PM

Well, this is the kind of change we can expect from this FRAUD.

Posted by: Kilroy at March 13, 2009 8:30 PM

As a veteran of OIF and OEF without TriCare we are UNINSURABLE! I have fought for my country, lived and eaten crap for my country. I still carry the scar of a bullet wound to my temple, a broken hip that will never fully heal on an airborne operation. I enlisted when I was seventeen years old, and I'm now in my mid thirties so it means that I have to much time invested to get out right now. I can only hope that we as a people cannot allow this to take place.

Posted by: autosleeper at March 13, 2009 8:41 PM

Millions to filthy illegal aliens for free medicare and welfare but not one cent to our wounded vets just typical of the dirty demacrats they all deserve to be sent to the dilithium mines or perhaps ELBA II for life

Posted by: Flu-Bird at March 14, 2009 7:55 AM

Those punks must really honestly think nobody will connect the dots between what they say they're going to do and the effects of what they actually do, even afterward nevermind beforehand.

Posted by: Mr Evilwrench at March 14, 2009 10:02 AM

I'm not a Shinseki fan and never have been but I don't think he would go along with such a moronic concept. I can see where some would feel that there are ulterior motives behind such a gambit, if it does exist, but even Obama would know better than to try to carry off something like this. I suspect that there could be a trial balloon here but it will go nowhere.

Posted by: tfhr at March 14, 2009 11:55 AM

"tfhr at March 14, 2009 11:55 AM"

In 1914, because Europe's royal families were all related and because of the interconnected defence treaties between the various countries, NO ONE believed that Germany and Russia would go to war over an internal dispute between the Austrians and the Serbs.

Posted by: KHarn at March 14, 2009 2:07 PM

Private health care?If the vet medical care is a mess now, just wait until we all have national health care.Hey you POS, why dont you just tell the vets to go f off NOW? Barrack Hussein Obama's and the Clintons contempt for the military is worthy of being treason. A hanging offense

Posted by: So What at March 14, 2009 2:43 PM

As a disabled Veteran, this is particularly alarming. I hope that "tfhr" is right about the "trial balloon". Further exploration of this by the media (Fox should cover it, Right-wing pols would make noise) would cause quite an outrage.

I get the impression that Obama is intentionally trying to piss us off.

1. War stance
2. Gitmo orders
3. Playing nice with Iran/North Korea/etc.
4. Photographers on the War Dead Silent Flight (I literally wept)

It is becoming hard not to hate this man...

Posted by: Evil Monk at March 15, 2009 12:09 AM

Evil Monk & KHarn,

I completely understand what you are saying here with regard to my previous comment. Thinking the unthinkable or conversely refusing to consider that an opponent would not do something because I would not is not a habit of mine.

As I said before, I'm not a fan of Eric Shinseki because of some of the things he did or did not do in his tenure of Chief of Staff of the Army. Further, I'm convinced that he is in the position primarily for the purpose of preparing him to be the eventual replacement of Inouye or Akaka when either one of the senators finally steps aside or expires in office but I do not believe that he could ever consider such a change in the way we care for our own to be a stride forward for veterans, disabled or otherwise.

A friend of mine, a disabled vet, has had the opportunity to meet and talk with Shinseki and is convinced that the new head of the VA will lead with the interests of troops first. "We'll see", or words to that effect, was my response but I believe that this would clearly be the decision point where the Shinseki would have to break from the administration. The notion of abandoning the nation's obligation to care for veterans is political suicide though it could possibly mean that some, but not all, might actually receive better care.

The real challenge here is to provide better care for all vets, which includes my entire family with the exception of a few dependents, and the means to that end will not be found in an effort to blur the divisions between government health care and private health care insurance.

Posted by: tfhr at March 15, 2009 9:47 AM

If a retired servicemember (or retired servicemember's family member), with TRICARE Prime, goes to a military treatment facility (MTF), one of the screening questions asked is: Do you have other insurance (other than TRICARE). If yes, the other insurance becomes the primary payer, TRICARE the secondary.
So, we're already having our civilian insurance pay for our service-connected problems (as well as our new ones).

This just appears to be the VA jumping on the same bandwagon.

And for those who didn't know, Military retired now pay for the privilege of being treated in an MTF (TRICARE Prime). If you don't sign up for it, you're on TRICARE standard, and DON'T HAVE to be seen in a military facility. And yes, we have deductables for stuff we're seen for off-post. And drugs we have to get downtown because they're not on the military formulary (even though prescribed by a healthcare provider in an MTF. And no, Dental care is not included. (we get to buy insurance under Retiree Delta Dental). And eye exams for family members are space-available only at the MTF. (we get one eye exam a year, I think it is.)

Posted by: Unsupervised at March 15, 2009 11:22 AM

On Friday, March 13, Mrs. Obama said, "And we as a grateful nation must do ... everything in our power to honor them by supporting them" while speaking of "our soldiers and their families". All I can say to that is, "You go girl!" Maybe her husband will pay attention, and qat least give military families the money they need to pay for their med insurance - up front, please.

Posted by: say what at March 16, 2009 7:17 AM

A year and a half ago, I got booted out of the VA for making three thousand dollars above their 28,000 means test. I got the boot even after being diagnosed with cancer. There was nothing I could do. I served in the Navy for four years but that was not enough. This January after losing most of the money I had in my retirement fund, I was allowed back in. Last week they cut the cancer out of me, but now I live in constant fear of being tossed out again. Can anyone help to become an illegal alien and how to get medical care after I am tossed again. Thank you so much president Obama. You took the trust of American veterans and wiped you ass with it.

Posted by: never-trust-a-politican at March 16, 2009 8:53 PM