« Wonder Woman Raises Awareness About Mental Illness | Main | Open Thread »

March 27, 2009

Newsweek Finds a Hero

Here's one way to get your 15 minutes of fame. Serve as a guard at Club Gitmo. Instead of resenting the maniacal killers literally crapping in their hands and flinging it at you (and worse), embrace their satanic ideology. Newsweak will love you for it, as demonstrated by a puff piece glorifying Terry Holdbrooks, a former Gitmo guard with some loose screws who converted to Islam.

Unsurprisingly, Holdbrooks believes the Bush administration was behind the attacks on 9/11. According to Newsbleak, Holdbrooks and other guards doubt the terrorists at Gitmo are all that bad, and even that they're terrorists at all, while bleating piteously about their poor treatment (underinflated balls in the rec room, etc.). Gitmo vacationer Khalid Sheik Mohammad, who planned the September 11 atrocities, must be delighted that all is now forgiven.

Given Newsreek's history of fictional Gitmo reporting, you might wonder if Holdbrooks actually exists, so here's a picture:

terry-holdbrooks.jpg

Just your typical American soldier, who came to see the allure of Islam and bizarre ear alterations.

On a tip from Viking04.

Posted by Van Helsing at March 27, 2009 8:38 AM

Comments

Don't they do psychological tests before they let people guard the prisoners? this guy seems to be angling for a section 8 discharge.

Posted by: James McEnanly at March 27, 2009 9:08 AM

HOW did this dipstick get into the military!? They must have lowered their standards severely since I was in???

Posted by: TED at March 27, 2009 9:16 AM

Given Newsweek's unhappy history of falsehoods, a photo of a guy who wears a doily on his head and hardware in his ear doesn't alone suffice to buttress their story. I'd want to see corroboration that he is the guy in question, and that he didn't serve with Jesse Macbeth in the 101st Colon Commandos.

Posted by: Jay Guevara at March 27, 2009 9:24 AM

HEY! I know that guy, he owes me money! Bastard borrowed 300 bucks for is old ladies abortion last year.

Posted by: Eric at March 27, 2009 9:32 AM

COMMENT DELETED

Posted by: FreeThinker at March 27, 2009 9:54 AM

Wow, I wonder what FreeThinker said to get deleted?
I used to participate in Faithfreedom.org, and the muslims were always throwing these bouncies around, with much glee. They were just counteracting all the apostates that the rest of us would throw around. Of course, our apostates were much braver, taking their lives into their own hands like that.
This guy looks like a dork, not like the manlier man I'm used to seeing in the military.

Posted by: Karin at March 27, 2009 10:46 AM

Stockholm Syndrome turned at an 89 degree angle.

How marvelous.

Posted by: David Waldman at March 27, 2009 11:36 AM

Is something wrong with his ear or does he have one of those gross big rings that makes a huge hole in your ear?

Posted by: Andrea at March 27, 2009 11:57 AM

Note how the photographer made sure the guy turned his head to the camera to showcase his ridiculous ear apparatus. Hilarious.

Posted by: J at March 27, 2009 12:04 PM

Maybe it's a ring,like on a leash so he doesn't get far from his mommy.

Posted by: Farmer Ted at March 27, 2009 12:17 PM

I believe he is what Ayn Rand refered to as a "fashionable non-conformist"

Cut and pasted from Whyislam.org

...Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and an Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

“According to the teachings of Islam, our body - including all of our physical faculties - is a trust from Allah and we are required to protect and preserve it according to the best of our ability. Consequently, we are not allowed to alter or tamper with our physical faculties unnecessarily; we are only permitted to interfere with them in order to correct a natural deformity or repair or remedy an ailment. Any other form of interference or tampering with our body is akin to altering Allah’s creation which has been condemned in the Qur’an.

We read in the Qur’an that Satan, the accursed one, has pledged to Allah that he will be tirelessly working to lead humans unto ways of perdition and self-destruction: “… ‘And I will surely lead them astray, and arouse desires in them, and command them and they will cut the cattle’s ears, and I will surely command them and they will change Allah’s creation.’ Whoever chooses the Devil for a friend instead of Allah is assuredly a loser, and his loss is manifest.” (An-Nisa’: 119)

While reflecting on the above verse, we must also read the following statements of Allah in the Qur’an: “There is no altering Allah’s creation.” (Ar-Rum: 30); “And do not cast yourselves into destruction by your own hands.” (Al-Baqarah: 195).

In light of the above, body piercing, tattooing, branding, etc. all fall in the category of unnecessary interference, alteration and mutilation of Allah’s creation. Therefore, no Muslim, who is conscious of his religion, should ever contemplate such activities.

The only exception some scholars and jurists have made in this context is the case of ear piercing specifically for females. This is so because of the specific need of women to wear jewelry. Men, however, according to Islam, have no such need. In fact, Islam forbids men from copying styles that are distinctively feminine. The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “Allah has cursed men who copy women as well as women who copy men.” It should be remembered here both men and women have different roles in Islam.

Posted by: son of a preacher man at March 27, 2009 12:37 PM

I think our buddy here got all lispy, giggly and flushed when AliBabba smeared a fistful of shit in his hair!
That beard of his and those eyebrows are trimmed too, too neat!
Say what you will but he looks as queer as a $3 bill to me.

Posted by: Shooter1001 at March 27, 2009 1:02 PM

Queer eye for the Muslim guy.

Posted by: Scaramouche at March 27, 2009 1:07 PM

In the 9th May, 2005 issue Newsweek,suffering from a rush of blood to the head, or some other ghastly journalistic complaint, once reported a Qur'an had been flushed down a toilet. The story was false, Newsweek retracted, but dozens of completely innocent people were killed and injured in riots over the Islamic world.

Posted by: Jim at March 27, 2009 1:33 PM

I hope Holdbrook has room in his studio apartment for a few of his "new friends" now that Nobama is closing Gitmo.

Posted by: Atomic Lib Smasher at March 27, 2009 1:54 PM

"Wow, I wonder what FreeThinker said to get deleted?"

I suspect that Liberals post "comment deleted" to make it look like Van is cesoring comments.

Posted by: KHarn at March 27, 2009 2:25 PM

Wait a minute, you actually think Islam is satanic?

If you had been born to parents who indoctrinated you with Islam rather than (I assume) Christianity, you'd be most likely praying five times a day.

Posted by: Brandon at March 27, 2009 2:34 PM

Yeah Brandon, praying five times a day to Satan.
Islam: faces to hell,arses to heaven.

Of course Islam is Satanic; everything about it is the opposite of Christianity.
Satan leads that dufus by the ear ring.

Posted by: Mike_W at March 27, 2009 3:13 PM

Did any of you bother to notice "The General" was totaly innocent of anything terrorist related? Nope. Because you are insulated in your bubble of 100% pure crazy. Got some real "thinkers" on this site eh? Can't beat him so you call him queer Real smart.

Posted by: Angel Crusher at March 27, 2009 3:23 PM

Gitmo article, I dub thee "Troll Bait."

Posted by: Anonymous at March 27, 2009 4:42 PM

COMMENT DELETED

Posted by: Rotting Christ at March 27, 2009 4:42 PM

I don't think he's satanic or necessarily a terrorist. I just think he looks a bit silly, and is a bit dense.

Then again, they do like to behead their wives...

Posted by: J at March 27, 2009 5:18 PM

Regarding the deleted comments, they are either troll ravings that overindulge in costumary progressive obscenity, or calls to violence, which can get people in trouble.

Posted by: Van Helsing at March 27, 2009 5:29 PM

As for Holdbrooks's mentality being satanic, according to the Newsreek piece, he has BY DEMONS BE DRIVEN tattooed on his scrawny body in great big letters.

Posted by: Van Helsing at March 27, 2009 5:31 PM

BY DEMONS BE DRIVEN is a song by Metal Band PanterA, it's about the lead singer's battle with heroin addiction. Hence being driven by addiction, which for some is a Demon. It has nothing to do with Satan. Don't speak on something if you don't know what you're talking about. You clearly know nothing about this kid other than he disagrees with the bullcrap Bush policy and he converted to Islam. Thats enough for you to hate him. Which shows how petty and small minded you are.

Posted by: Angel Crusher at March 27, 2009 5:55 PM

Oh, now I see, "Angel Crusher." Getting the title of some 90's metal band's tune tattooed all over yourself cancels out the freakishness of a US soldier at a top secret facility transforming himself into the emo version of a teenaged female Muslim.

How closed minded of me to even THINK of passing judgment on this fine pillar of society.

This bizarre mutant and the libtard rag that raises him on a pedestal deserve ridicule. Please spare us your "moral indignation."

Posted by: Vox Ver at March 27, 2009 7:19 PM

No way that scrawny guy was recently in the military...

Posted by: Henry at March 27, 2009 7:24 PM

Isn't that the man who had the baby?

Posted by: Patricius at March 27, 2009 7:51 PM

Newsreek the same left-wing rag that cuased a incedent when it claimed about the flusged koran can we realy trust a thing from newsreek?

Posted by: SPURWING PLOVER at March 27, 2009 8:24 PM

Dinosaur media personified, that's Newsweak. No doubt we'll soon be spending billions of tax dollars to prop it, and TIME, and all the other hideous libtard crap-fests, up. I suppose, though, that even Obambi will eventually give up once this rag loses one of its two dozen current readers; even he won't throw money at a bird-cage liner that literally nobody reads anymore.

Posted by: jc14 at March 27, 2009 8:33 PM

30 bullets for 30 angels. Inside the head. That metrosexual is dead on the street. Come hither.

Posted by: Corona at March 27, 2009 8:42 PM

No need to spare you anything Vox, you and your kind have the morals of a Meth smoking truckstop hooker. I wouldn't even know this backwards site exsited if one of infantile readers here didn't troll up our BAND site with his stupid Christian ramblings, and then the dumbass left the address for this site. Don't start nothin, won't be nothin. I see my drummer Rotting Christ already said something, probably very vulgar, but hell who cares right? Some jagoff from here got offended at our band name "Burning Down Heaven", and spammed us with inane bible verses, thats ok though, cuz I can have every member of the Tampa metal scene spam this site into nothingness. But I won't do that i'll be the big man, keep your stupid friends off our site!

Posted by: Angel Crusher at March 27, 2009 8:43 PM

Don't speak on something if you don't know what you're talking about. You clearly know nothing about meth smoking truckstop hookers other than they disagree with Muslim ideology and they sell sexual favors at truckstops in exchange for meth. Thats enough for you to hate them. Which shows how petty and small minded you are.

Thanks for comng out, and keeping the scene alive!

Posted by: J at March 27, 2009 9:46 PM

I expect to see him pleading for his life in some video posted by the goat-herders.

And when his head is sawed off we can all say we saw it coming.

Posted by: SK at March 27, 2009 10:11 PM

So I'm reading all these comments and there's one question that keeps popping into my mind, how old are the posters? It seems they must either be younger than 20 or drunk.

Posted by: Brandon at March 27, 2009 10:14 PM

To take action, we need to begin with a frank acknowledgment of the basic humanness of each of us. And we must acknowledge that this serves as a reminder that Mr. Brandon's virtual absence of intellectual self-critique may be a source of his insistence that newspapers should report only on items he agrees with. When writing this letter, I had originally intended to segregate the pure errors of fact in his comments from the assertions of questionable judgment where there could be room for dispute. I eventually decided against that approach because if I had to choose the most exploitative specimen from Brandon's welter of vitriolic gabble, it would have to be Brandon's claim that laws are meant to be broken. Most people don't realize that Brandon has already revealed his plans to nail people to trees. He revealed these plans in a manifesto bearing all of the hallmarks of having been written by a superficial ruffian. Not only is his manifesto entirely lacking in logic, relentlessly subjective, and utterly anecdotal, but honest people will admit that part of the myth that Brandon perpetuates is that his litanies won't be used for political retribution. Concerned people are not afraid to sound the bugle of liberty. And sensible people know that Brandon uses jingoism to reduce religion to a consumer item in a spiritual supermarket. That's the large elephant in the room that nobody ever talks about. Nevertheless, I undeniably think that people really ought to start talking about it because then they'd realize that one of the most mind-numbing mysteries for those of us who don't like Brandon is trying to understand people who do. Now that's a strong conclusion to draw just from the evidence I've presented in this letter so let me corroborate it by saying that we mustn't let Brandon prosecute, sentence, and label people as flagitious malefactors without the benefit of any evidence whatsoever. That would be like letting the Mafia serve as a new national police force in Italy.

To paraphrase a line from Hamlet, "Resistentialism, thy name is Brandon". Every so often you'll see him lament, flog himself, cry mea culpa for giving rise to bitter calumniators, and vow never again to be so self-indulgent. Sadly, he always reverts to his old behavior immediately afterwards, making me think that if the past is any indication of the future, he will once again attempt to glamorize drug usage. If Brandon's plan to diminish society's inducements to good behavior is to be discouraged then the wisest course of action is to set the stage so that my next letter will begin from a new and much higher level of influence. Before we start down that road I ought to remind you that it takes more than a mass of uncivilized drunks to honor our nation's glorious mosaic of cultures and ethnicities. It takes a great many thoughtful and semi-thoughtful people who are willing to help people break free of his cycle of oppression.

When asked to mend his ways, Brandon will give people a wink and a smile, but when the wheels begin to turn, it's business as usual. It should come as no shock to anyone that if I wanted to brainwash and manipulate a large segment of the population, I would convince them that we should all bear the brunt of Brandon's actions. In fact, that's exactly what Brandon does as part of his quest to promote a form of government in which religious freedom, racial equality, and individual liberty are severely at risk. My number one priority is to call for a return to the values that made this country great. That said, let me continue. I could substantiate what I'm saying about possession-obsessed skinflints but I don't feel that that's necessary because we all know what they're like. Before you declare me capricious, let me assert that if we don't soon tell Brandon to stop what he's doing, he will proceed with his presumptuous machinations, considerably emboldened by our lack of resistance. We will have tacitly given Brandon our permission to do so. Let me sum up. People who believe that public opinion is a reliable indicator of what's true and what isn't need to be worked over with an oak table leg and then sentenced to 20 years of hard labor in order to straighten out their thinking.

Posted by: SK at March 27, 2009 10:21 PM

The Tampa metal scene? Really?

Yikes.

Posted by: fugazi at March 27, 2009 11:03 PM

so USACAPOC teaches soldiers to write really good horoscopes?

as cryptic and vague as sk's response is, its one of the most substantive things written here, but its backwards and inside out. Some kind of preemptive self mockery? I really can't tell.

Posted by: Brandon at March 27, 2009 11:38 PM

If he's in the Tampa metal scene he probably knows PLENTY about meth smoking truckstop hookers.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 28, 2009 12:10 AM

Don't feed the trolls... it only makes them come back for more.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 28, 2009 12:12 AM

Humorless dicks usually can't tell when something is meant to be a a joke.

Especially at their expense.

Posted by: SK at March 28, 2009 12:40 AM

sk did you not understand my joke?

Posted by: Brandon at March 28, 2009 12:58 AM

He is just another conformists trying to be different by conforming.
Look Iam different I have an ear ring, look Iam an indivdual I have a tattoo (from somewhere in the feed),look Iam an independent thinker because I join the ultimate personality cult. I bet he even shops at Hot Topic and wants to own a Prius.

And just for the record I hope change fails.

Posted by: mpgrunt787 at March 28, 2009 2:00 AM

Newsreek 1% truth 99% fabrications

Posted by: Flu-Bird at March 28, 2009 8:23 AM

That is how the left thinks... pop culture and feelings trump reason every time.

Posted by: V the K at March 28, 2009 8:37 AM

Wow - I had no idea Van was responsible for policing what other sites the bloggers here are allowed to visit.

That tampa heavy mental dipshit is pretty damned smart, huh? Impressive. *snicker*

Posted by: Jimbo at March 28, 2009 4:48 PM

Posted by: Angel Crusher at March 27, 2009 5:55 PM

Not enough to make me hate him, but it's enough to make me say he's mentally ill in some way shape or form. I dislike Obama's policies, but have no plans on converting to any religion based upon that dislike. There's no rational explanation for this, but you being a liberal, will try to create one out of thin air, because liberals sympathize with the minority, regardless of how deranged or ill mannered the actions of the minority are.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 28, 2009 11:09 PM

Posted by: Brandon at March 27, 2009 10:14 PM

So i'm reading your post and there's one question that keeps popping into my mind, why are you here asking 20 year old drunks questions? Do you have nothing better to do?

Posted by: Right0fReagan at March 28, 2009 11:13 PM

I have had realitives that have worked at various prisons and the first thing you learn is that you must act professionaly and definitly not socialize with the prisoners. It undermines your authority and opens up the possiblity of prisoners getting leverage over you. I am wondering where the supervison was over this guy. We can no longer expect young people even with training to act like they got common sense. The age of common sense is fading fast

Posted by: Russ at March 29, 2009 2:38 AM

When you cut through all the BS the leftist defenders have tossed onto this thread, what you're left with is that our media is so sick, depraved and anti-American it's making a hero out of a soldier who went over to the enemy side.

And our left wing cockroaches think that's just dandy.

Posted by: V the K at March 29, 2009 4:32 AM

The military needs to put REAL Correctional Officers in Gitmo. Recruit some from the Fed Super Max prison. That will take care of this problem.

Posted by: Ken S at March 29, 2009 8:36 AM

RightofReagan

I am interested in how people chose which reality to believe.

It seems most people accept the story of reality told to them by their parents, and I'm interested also in how and why people sometimes change what they believe.

I was really surprised to find so much anger in the comments here, especially when so many commenters claim to make their decisions and beliefs based on rational thought rather then emotion (unlike the pansy liberals or whatever you call them).

I was really surprised how reactionary the comments are. Most the people I've met in real life who are this reactionary are either teenagers or drunk people.

Posted by: Brandon at March 29, 2009 10:05 AM

Keep on believing your own personal reality and you'll be just fine Brandon. In it we don't exist. Move along... move along.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 29, 2009 10:41 AM

Why?

Posted by: Brandon at March 29, 2009 11:10 AM

What do you do when you encounter a piece of information that doesn't support your beliefs? Just ignore it? Protect your assumptions about the world at any cost?

Isn't fundamentalism flawed?. If we all unquestioningly believed what we were raised to beleive, we'd think the sun moves around the earth and that nothing is wrong with slavery.

Posted by: Brandon at March 29, 2009 11:21 AM

I am interested in how people chose which reality to believe.

We put the claims of politicians and the media into the context of our personal experience and common sense.

Examples:

Media/politician claim: "Islam is a religion of peace, and has nothing to do with terrorism."

Personal experience: "If that's true, why is Iran, a country run entirely by Islamic clerics, the leading terrorist state on planet Earth. Also, the people who flew the planes into the WTC, the people who blew up the trains in London, the people who strap bombs to their kids in the Palestinian Areas are all screaming 'Allahu Akhbar' while they do it... and you're trying to make us believe there's no connection."

Media/Political claim: "Carbon dioxide emissions will doom the Earth!"

Common Sense: "If that's true, why aren't you guys giving up your private jets? And isn't it true only 3% of total greenhouse gases are produced by human activity? And hasn't climate change occurred throughout geological history with or without human activity?"

Media/Political claim: "Democrats are wise masters of government. They raise your taxes, but they spend them wisely, and prosperity results."

Common sense response: "Have you ever been to Detroit? One party Democrat government for forty years. Why isn't it a paradise?"

That's how we decide what reality is real. What do you do Brandon? Take a poll of your latte-sipping liberal buddies? Watch a movie with Ben Affleck in it? See what Jon Stewart is smirking about on The Daily Show?

Posted by: V the K at March 29, 2009 2:58 PM

Brandon, we could talk to you til we are blue in the face and you'd still walk away with your own opinions held higher than ours in your mind. It's not really our job or our desire to conform your opinions to ours-- it's a fruitless task. I don't come on your sites trying to start crap, and I'd only expect the same from you.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 29, 2009 8:56 PM

VtheK, this is an old thread, but if you came back, H5 for your post.

Posted by: Karin at March 30, 2009 1:57 PM