« Open Thread | Main | Mortgaging America to the Chicoms »

February 27, 2009

Atlas Shrugged Sales Are Going Through the Roof

If you were to read only one work of fiction, it should be Atlas Shrugged, in which Ayn Rand foresees the destruction of America by collectivist looters like Obama, and the emergence of a resistance that refuses to be enslaved by Marxist ideology. Encouragingly, sales of the prophetic book are soaring:

Sales of Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged" have almost tripled over the first seven weeks of this year compared with sales for the same period in 2008. This continues a strong trend after bookstore sales reached an all-time annual high in 2008 of about 200,000 copies sold.
"Americans are flocking to buy and read 'Atlas Shrugged' because there are uncanny similarities between the plot-line of the book and the events of our day" said Yaron Brook, Executive Director at the Ayn Rand Center for Individual Rights. "Americans are rightfully concerned about the economic crisis and government's increasing intervention and attempts to control the economy. Ayn Rand understood and identified the deeper causes of the crisis we're facing, and she offered, in 'Atlas Shrugged,' a principled and practical solution consistent with American values."

Who is John Galt? If you don't know, find out.

Atlas-Shrugged.jpg
Buy it before they ban it.

Hat tip: The Jawa Report, on a tip from Burning Hot.

Posted by Van Helsing at February 27, 2009 10:58 AM

Comments

YES! This was the book that sealed the deal for me. Reagan started my conversion to conservatism when he backed the Russians down in eastern Europe. He moved in our missiles, they moved out THEIR missiles and I went "hmmmmmm".

When I read Atlas, I finally realized all the stuff about money and capitalism I "knew"...and realized I didn't know WHY I knew it. Growing up thru the 60's, you just KNEW money was evil. You just KNEW being rich meant you ripped someone off. YOU JUST KNEW. Until reading Atlas.

Seriously, the most profound book on money, politics and social order I've ever read.

LET'S SEE IF IT CAN SELL A MILLION COPIES IN '09.

Who is John Galt indeed!

Posted by: Montag (matt) at February 27, 2009 11:22 AM

This is good news. For those of us with a copy, if you can spare it, maybe just "forget" it somewhere where someone else will pick it up. Truly a book for our times.

The idiot O, when dreaming of his $250K slaves, is not taking into account the John Galt effect. Of course, lefty liberals never think of the law of unintended consequences. They are above such laws.

Posted by: Karin at February 27, 2009 11:27 AM

Good! Maybe, these people will learn more about how economic and politics works.

Now, if we only can get people to read the Constitution, Declaration of Independence, and the Federalist Papers.

Then, we would be doing much better.

Posted by: Franklins Locke at February 27, 2009 11:36 AM

Just finished it. The novel is more of a prophecy. We're witnessing Atlas Shrugged play out right before our very eyes.

Who is John Galt?

Posted by: Moonbat Monitor at February 27, 2009 1:02 PM

Sales up: Ayn Rand, guns, ammo, gold.

Sales down: everything else.

Growing like cancer: the State

Looks like we're headed for a showdown.

Posted by: forest at February 27, 2009 2:46 PM

The last thing Ayn Rand wanted was for Atlas Shrugged to be prophetic. We are living in very dark days.

Posted by: Kevin R at February 27, 2009 3:21 PM

Ayn didn't want a showdown, but let's face it...that book wasn't a novel. It was, as Moon Monitor just said, prophetic. I think that's why it has that strange, other-worldly, hair-standing-up-on-the-back-of-your-neck feel to it. Deep inside you KNOW it's true.

We really, really need to take a page from that book. TURN OFF THE MOTOR OF THE WORLD. The looters will be like ants when you kick into their nest...running hither and thither aimlessly, screaming "...but it's not FAIR! Who is going to take care of us?"

Grim days, indeed...but maybe the light really is at the end of the tunnel at last. We'll see.

Posted by: Montag (matt) at February 27, 2009 4:22 PM

Just ordered my copy now. I've been meaning to get it for a few months, but the old reading list needed to be attacked before I could justify buying another book.

Posted by: Jeff_McAwesome at February 28, 2009 12:41 AM

Ayn Rand: damned atheist communi... I mean, atheist non-communist.

Posted by: George Miller at February 28, 2009 6:03 AM

LOL, oh yes, Ayn Rand. Her way of life was so family friendly! Obviously, Rand ascribed completely to "The Virtue of Selfishness" as per her book of the same title. She pretty much thought that anyone should be able to do whatever they wanted with no consequences. As a result, she had an affair, which she stated her husband just had to accept because according to her ideology, anything selfish was good.

But then, in true conservative hypocritical fashion, when she found out her LOVER was having an affair, she absolutely flipped out, declared her entire objectivist philosophy completely bunk, and spent the rest of her life trying to ruin his.

That's some role model you guys have!

Posted by: Fountainhead at February 28, 2009 7:20 AM

Fountainhead, anyone would do that if they found out there lover was cheating on them. So if you want to troll, do it right.

Posted by: Big_Daddy at February 28, 2009 9:51 AM

Oh sorry their.

Posted by: Anonymous at February 28, 2009 9:52 AM

Damn!

Posted by: Big_Daddy at February 28, 2009 9:53 AM

"Fountainhead at February 28, 2009 7:20 AM"

Right, we should damn Ann Rand just like you Liberals damned President Clinton for using his power to force sex on, ie: RAPE, interns.

Oh wait, YOU DIDN'T!

Posted by: KHarn at February 28, 2009 11:23 AM

I don't subscribe to Rand's atheism, and obviously she was over the top. Her novels were never meant to be literal, either in the characters (which were archetypes) or the plots.

But I wouldn't expect liberal trolls to understand that. "Nuance" only works one way with them.

Hey Fountainhead, go read the Audacity Of Hope. Now there is some REAL fiction for you!

Posted by: Montag (matt) at February 28, 2009 11:26 AM

Rand's atheism was over the top? What's an appropriate level of atheism for you? And before you accuse me of being a troll or a liberal I'll tell you, irregardless of whether you believe me, that I'm an objectivist and of course an atheist. I've just wondered why the stereotypes of the communist atheist conveniently fly out of the window when we begin talking about the important secular intellectual right of the 20th century. Why does no religious conservative ever point out she was an atheist as they automatically would if she were a leftist?

Posted by: George Miller at February 28, 2009 12:17 PM

Because she was the kind of atheist we can deal with.

Posted by: Anonymous at February 28, 2009 1:23 PM

Posted by: Big_Daddy at February 28, 2009 1:30 PM

Don't need fiction. It's happening now. Listen to Obama's speeches. Watch Pelosi preen and posture as she gloats over screwing the country. See Harry Reid slink up to the Mike and ooze slime out over anybody listening. And the second level of Frank, Sharpton, Rangle, Conrad, Schumer, and Dodd as they lie and twist reality into a moebius strip reflection in a fun house mirror.

Ayn Rand was an author doing her thing and she reflected our current situation to an amazing extent--but she was not a prophet. Only a true prophet could predict this mess! No one did.

Posted by: SnowSnake at February 28, 2009 2:29 PM

Atheism is the answer to a a saner and safer world.

Posted by: George Miller at February 28, 2009 3:33 PM

"Atheism is the answer to a a saner and safer world."
Just ask Pol Pot, Josef Stalin, Mao Tse-tung... they'll all agree!

Posted by: PabloD at February 28, 2009 4:23 PM

I think mysticism(irrational beliefs)are the root of all our problems, until we purge the republican party of the bible brigade we're going keep having problems.

Posted by: Ken at February 28, 2009 5:23 PM

I'm glad this country was founded with the option of being able to practice my religious beliefs. It's just too bad some people want to change such fundamental traits of the country. Keep trying to purge the Republican party of religious people... you'll end up somewhere left of center.

Posted by: Anonymous at February 28, 2009 6:34 PM

Well I want to thank the person above who typed:

While we're on the subject of atheism, it was people's religious beliefs that caused 9/11. But not the Muslims who were just the patsies of the Jews. (whatever that means)

Atheism is the answer to a a saner and safer world.

Although that wasn't actually me! Does it have something to do with anti-Semitic 9/11 conspiracy theories? Because I don't buy into that bullshit. Yeah, I've heard this original argument of producing a short list of the billions of humans who've existed and saying these are all atheists. When I was younger we had an anti-Semitic teacher who showed us the same list... and said they were all Jewish! I was too young to understand there was anything wrong with anti-Semitic scapegoating, or even what it meant, but conflating the millions of peaceful Jews to in Europe with a few crazy Jews driven by the unnatural dogma of communism lead to catastrophic results. I don't mean to be so melodramatic, but keep in mind what happens when scapegoating turns to hysteria.

And can people not add comments under my name in future please.

Posted by: George Miller at February 28, 2009 9:39 PM

And fuck that "George Miller" above who linked to that Nazi site. That WASN'T me. If you can't debate an atheist fairly then just get a fucking life! Trying to conflate me with Nazism? Go and join Searchlight, retard.

Posted by: George Miller at February 28, 2009 9:44 PM

Posted by: Big_Daddy at February 28, 2009 1:30 PM

And who are these atheists? Any you know of?

Posted by: George Miller at February 28, 2009 10:08 PM

Christians, Jews and Muslims should all just kill each other off so superior types like us atheists can run this planet more efficiently.

This entire globe can do better with out all of you and your mental pollution.

Posted by: George Miller at March 1, 2009 1:16 AM

"Not all atheists are bad, just the ones that try to force it on you and don't take no for an answer."

Oh, you mean like Ayn Rand?

Posted by: Anonymous at March 1, 2009 1:23 AM

Okay that was me that linked the site. I just get so frustrated with people not giving my arguments any credence. No one wants to give Truthers like me a fair hearing.

I know I come off harsh sometimes but the evidence is there that the Jews were behind the 9/11 attacks with the help of Bush and the CIA.

Sometimes your sources may not be palatable but we are all fighting the same fight which is to bring the truth to light about our nation being tricked into fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq by the Israelis and the war lobby.

While I don't think that Christians are any better than Muslims, the Jews have been behind a number of recent wars and false flag attacks.

Posted by: George Miller at March 1, 2009 1:28 AM

Forgot to include this in the previous post. I think that 'cave ahht' posted these, too, in another thread. It seems we're both on the same page here.

Posted by: George Miller at March 1, 2009 1:30 AM

I love it when I find a person like you: at least that person who claimed atheists should be blamed for communism believed his own bullshit. You know you're in the wrong. You know you can't debate so this is how you deal with it? Go to the UK and join Searchlight you little prick. You could act as a fine adviser to those lowlifes.

Posted by: George Miller at March 1, 2009 2:30 AM

OK then I guess if anybody really wants to here from the real me you'll have to send me a message: http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePissedOffAtheist.

I'd like to see that fake bozo steal my ID now.

Posted by: George Miller at March 1, 2009 2:34 AM

But even still, I think that including my YouTube channel, you may also want to check out my contributions at http://www.jewwatch.com/jew-hatehoaxes-911-world-trade-center-hoax.html

You may find some of it disturbing but I hold that all religions are invalid and that atheism is the only true philosophical path that will lead mankind out of the ignorance of ancient religious indoctrinations.

Posted by: George Miller at March 1, 2009 3:39 AM

You realize flipping back and forth like this makes no sense? Who do you think you're fooling, honestly? Get a life. Well at least you know you're wrong.

Posted by: George Miller at March 1, 2009 4:08 AM

I don't now why I have fits of conscience in these comments. It is just because I need so dearly to be accepted because of what many of you probably consider my "warped views" but I am not as far off the mark as you might think.

Sometimes, my posts sound confused and probably are. Just bear with me, I am trying to sort a lot of things out with what I want to say here.

It is just that I strongly feel that Americans are little informed about the issue of the Zionists infiltrating our government and working against our interests.

They are a prime example of the derangement that religious ideas can create in some groups. While Muslims are equally primitive, the Israelis are truly the enemy here. After all, as I have proven with my links ot assorted websites, the Muslims were setup by the Israelis, Bush and the CIA.

Frankly I do not think that Islam is the threat that you reactionaries here think it is. It is the other side of the proverbial Middle Eastern coin.

Posted by: George Miller at March 1, 2009 4:14 AM

And i'm undertaking in secret sexual liasons with a camel.

Posted by: George Miller at March 1, 2009 4:17 AM

LOL! OK then, I'll leave you alone now you pitiful fool. Thanks for the fun though. You kind of spoiled everything with your last comment, this could have gone on longer! BTW it's spelled liaison. Get a spellchecker, dunce.

Posted by: George Miller at March 1, 2009 4:46 AM

Umm... what was that?

Posted by: Big_Daddy at March 1, 2009 9:39 AM

This is John Galt speaking:

You have heard no concept of morality but the mystical (…) you have been taught that morality is a code of behavior imposed on you by whim, the whim of a supernatural power (…) to please an authority beyond the grave (…) your pleasure, you have been taught, is to be found in immorality, your interests would best be served by evil, and any moral code must be designed not for you, but against you, not to further your life but to drain it.

Hear hear brother! I'm glad we can agree the godly is the ultimate code of immorality.

Posted by: Jonathon Galt at March 1, 2009 10:35 AM