« Open Thread | Main | Miss Caroline Comics »

January 10, 2009

Ayn Rand Tried to Warn Us

If current events strike you as ominously familiar, you've probably read Ayn Rand's great novel Atlas Shrugged. Stephen Moore comments:

Many of us who know Rand's work have noticed that with each passing week, and with each successive bailout plan and economic-stimulus scheme out of Washington, our current politicians are committing the very acts of economic lunacy that "Atlas Shrugged" parodied in 1957, when this 1,000-page novel was first published and became an instant hit.
Rand, who had come to America from Soviet Russia with striking insights into totalitarianism and the destructiveness of socialism, was already a celebrity. The left, naturally, hated her. But as recently as 1991, a survey by the Library of Congress and the Book of the Month Club found that readers rated "Atlas" as the second-most influential book in their lives, behind only the Bible.
For the uninitiated, the moral of the story is simply this: Politicians invariably respond to crises — that in most cases they themselves created — by spawning new government programs, laws and regulations. These, in turn, generate more havoc and poverty, which inspires the politicians to create more programs … and the downward spiral repeats itself until the productive sectors of the economy collapse under the collective weight of taxes and other burdens imposed in the name of fairness, equality and do-goodism.

The same inevitable economic collapse brought about by do-gooder socialism in Rand's prophetic book is currently unfolding before our eyes.

ayn-rand.jpg
Her darkest prophesies are coming true.

On a tip from Varla.

Posted by Van Helsing at January 10, 2009 9:48 AM

Comments

Check out the 'Free Teen Project' if you get a chance, which distributes paperback copies of Atlas Shrugged to school aged children to counteract the public school liberal indoctrination. Would post a link, but I am on my cellphone.

Posted by: Smoke TNT at January 10, 2009 10:03 AM

Posted by: Antara at January 10, 2009 10:20 AM

thank you so much, antara - our 10th grader has one on the way.

i may do a post on this worthy subject.

Posted by: nanc at January 10, 2009 10:52 AM

Ever since I read Atlas Shrugged, as well as Miss Rand's other books, over 30 years ago I've been watching events unfold with an ability to predict what's going to happen next with an accuracy that often amazes people.
Actually there's nothing amazing about it. It's simply an understanding of the collectivist mindset and logical progression.
I'm preparing for economic collapse.

Posted by: single stack at January 10, 2009 11:44 AM

Atlas Shrgugged was ahead of its time and a true visionary wonder. Its unfolding daily with increasing speed.

My attitude at work these days is largely that of not being hassled - that and the fear of losing my job. But that is only enough to make me work hard enough not to get fired. Why work harder when the increasingly oppressive government has more hands in my pockets than I have pockets. And why start my own business when all the government will do is take most of it.

Posted by: Name at January 10, 2009 11:46 AM

I wouldn't start school children off with Atlas Shrugged, her book Anthem is a good place for school children to start. Also, her essays Man's Rights and The Nature of Government from Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal are good too.

Posted by: Kevin R at January 10, 2009 12:16 PM

While I don't share Rand's view on religion and a few other points, for the most part I'm an objectivist.

Atlas Shrugged literally changed my life and made me view money, capitalism, welfare and most government double-speak in a whole new light.

If this subject were taught in schools...even just presented as a possibility or point of view...you wouldn't have generations of people thinking they were "entitled" or that the world owed them a living. You would have people who understood that money isn't "evil" and that working hard for one's self isn't "selfish" in the way it's meant today. There would be fewer "Gordon Geckos" and more "Hank Reardons".

Who is John Galt, indeed.

Posted by: matt at January 10, 2009 12:49 PM

The kind of frankly immoral actions of government interventionism and looting of the productive that Rand spoke of are indeed rampant today. For a more in-depth perspective, check out this recent blog post: http://socialistsatthegate.blogspot.com/2009/01/precarious-state-of-nation.html

Posted by: Ben W. at January 10, 2009 12:59 PM

Posted by: nanc at January 10, 2009 1:36 PM

Ayn Rand would have HATED today's religious right wing. And for good reason.

Posted by: Anonymous at January 10, 2009 4:42 PM

Ayn Rand was an atheist and a rationalist. She would have loathed the religious right wing.

Posted by: Anonymous at January 10, 2009 4:51 PM

Thank Bush and his incompetence and cronyism for the economic collapse

Posted by: Anonymous at January 10, 2009 4:52 PM

Funny that you should post this. Somehow, in my 35 years, I'd never read Atlas Shrugged. Until the recent ice storm that left me without power for 4.5 days (Northeast). So I figured I'd probably never have a better chance to start reading the book.

I was almost immediately dumbfounded. Each page I turned I found it harder to believe this wasn't written this year. It's frightening to me how closely the world she depicts mirrors our current one. And I'm not even half done yet.

It's not just the political issues either. Since beginning Atlas, I've noticed more and more people talking about how it's "not fair" that X company or Y CEO is making, (gasp) - profits. Sentiments like these have always bothered me, but now I'm realizing just how angry I should be (and am) about it.

Posted by: Eric at January 10, 2009 5:16 PM

Those who blame "Bush and his incompetence and cronyism for the economic collapse" illustrate their own deep ignorance of actual reality.

Posted by: Jaeson at January 10, 2009 6:24 PM

Let us never forget, collectivism is inconsistent with human nature. History can be revised, but human nature can never be.

Posted by: chillguy33 at January 10, 2009 7:09 PM

Objectivism is consistent with agnosticism. Human existence is not consitent with collectivism. You can quote me.

Posted by: chillguy33 at January 10, 2009 7:36 PM

Van Helsing's third paragraph succinctly encapsulates the recent past and the very near future for us. The NWO vs. the republic.
Checkmate.

Oh, incidentally, no matter what the agnostics/atheists say now, ultimately they'll be begging for the NWO to feed them. It's only those who don't receive the "mark" who will be barred from "buying or selling". BTW, in case you're interested, I'm a realist.

Posted by: fellowes at January 10, 2009 8:43 PM

I have bought a copy of "Atlas Shrugged" specifically for my now 13-yo son to read, though it's been intercepted by my XYL temporarily. I may indeed dig up my copy of "Anthem" for him if she doesn't cut loose of AS soon. He's not going to grow up lacking.

Now, I'm one of those agnostics/atheists, and I'll not be begging the NWO for ANYTHING. I'm already preparing for total independence, and not only will I not RECEIVE a mark on pain of death, I'll KILL anyone that tries to put a mark to me.

Some say "freedom" or somesuch is worth DYING for. Nonsense. NOTHING is worth dying for. However, there are some things worth killing for, and ways of living that are worse than death. I choose to keep killing those who would deprive us of these things until they stop it or they kill me, that's all.

Posted by: Mr Evilwrench at January 10, 2009 9:06 PM

And other book THE ROAD TO SERFDOM and SLOUCHING TOWARD GAMORAH

Posted by: Spurwing Plover at January 10, 2009 10:08 PM

Norman Mattoon Thomas (November 20, 1884 – December 19, 1968) was a leading American socialist, pacifist, and six-time presidential candidate for the Socialist Party of America.

The Socialist Party candidate for President of the US , Norman Thomas, said this in a 1944 speech:

"The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of "liberalism," they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened."

He went on to say: "I no longer need to run as a Presidential Candidate for the Socialist Party. The Democrat Party has adopted our platform."

****

"The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money."
~~Margaret Thatcher

Posted by: Oiao at January 10, 2009 10:18 PM

but but Hussein O has a stimulus package!..pfftt!..great post!:)

Posted by: Angel at January 11, 2009 9:47 AM

Oiao: What a sheer coincidence that Norman Thomas' (more than just biological)grandson Evan Thomas is one of the top managing editors of Newsreek Magazine. "Liberal" media working toward Communist goals...? Naaah, that's just a Right-Wing myth...

Posted by: Toa at January 11, 2009 10:22 AM

Mr. Evilwrench: are you a DX'er, or did you pick up the term "XYL" somewhere else?

Posted by: PabloD at January 11, 2009 12:45 PM

Have any of you read this: http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/2009/01/turnover-clean-sweep-of-health-agency.html

A clean sweep of the CDC, the FDA, the NIH, the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services, the Admin for Children and Families, the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services and the National Cancer Institute HEADS, all to take effect January 20th?

The fact remains, and I don't know if Rand dealt with this in the book, that these behemoths exist already and only waited for their Messiah to bring them into the new century, and even more importantly, that The People have continually DEMANDED that these things exist and grow over the years, for just such a time. It isn't just politicians doing it; they enact what the idiots of our populace keep DEMANDING they enact; the time is more than ripe. We tried to stop it from ripening, but have not succeeded, obviously.

For a really good example of the conscious and unconscious media and public 'conspiracy' to keep demanding such things and shouting down any opposition is well detailed in Larry Burkett's excellent book, "Solar Flare." It has a great story in its own right, of course, but while the reader is continually frustrated with the insanity of the media and the public in their demands on their politicians, we in the real world can, as you say, see it unfolding in reality before our eyes.

Posted by: Anniee451 at January 11, 2009 5:51 PM

LOL, have to applaud your gonadal fortitude Mr. Evilwrench.

Just wanted to clarify the "mark". According to scripture it's not a physical entity, rather a spiritual mark "on the hand and forehead", meaning, what's IN your head and what IS the work of your hands. Those who don't bear this "mark" can't "buy or sell" in the beast system and those who do bear the mark are definitely not in the Lord's camp. This symbolism is also found in the Song of Songs chap 8:6 in a completely opposite sense: "set me as a seal upon my heart, as a seal upon mine arm..." where heart is synonymous with mind. There is no visible "mark" so to speak. It's strictly in a spiritual sense.

Posted by: fellowes at January 11, 2009 6:50 PM

QSL, got an amateur ticket that goes back to dits & dahs. 73.

Posted by: Mr Evilwrench at January 11, 2009 6:57 PM

i have to agree with you, fellowes - it is what's in our heads and the works of our hands that will either separate us or bind us to the beast.

thanking the Lord we know Him.

Posted by: nanc at January 11, 2009 10:11 PM

Evilwrench: I got my General last year (no dits and dahs, but I'm learning it anyway). 73.

Posted by: PabloD at January 11, 2009 10:34 PM

Amen nanc.

A slight correction -- SOS 8:6 "mine" is "thine", as in "set me as a seal upon thine heart..."

Posted by: fellowes at January 12, 2009 6:01 AM