« Movie Version of Blago's Downfall Already Out | Main | Bailout for Abortion Mills »

December 17, 2008

Paterson's Soda Tax Makes No Sense

New York's second-string governor has followed the lead of Mayor Mike by using nanny state totalitarianism to increase government revenue, slapping a 15% "obesity tax" on nondiet soft drinks. But…

There's just one problem: Studies have found links between drinking diet sodas and obesity and diabetes.
A 2005 study at the University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, and separate studies released in 2007 at the University of Alberta in Canada and the University of Massachusetts found that diet soda drinkers were more likely than regular soda drinkers to be obese.
Also, several studies by U.S. and European researchers have tied the artificial sweetener aspartame (NutraSweet), which is used to sweeten many diet sodas, to cancer, headaches and organ damage…

No doubt Governor Paterson will correct the problem by levying an even higher tax on diet soda. He'll want to raise taxes on fruit juice too, since it has just as many calories as soda.

A tax on plain water might be a good idea also; if you drink enough, it will kill you. Just as Mary Jo Kopechne.

On tips from Eoin and Matt L.

Posted by Van Helsing at December 17, 2008 6:59 AM

Comments

Liberalism isn't about facts, it's about imposing your will to make yourself 'feel good'. Ignorance is bliss.

Posted by: Smoke TNT at December 17, 2008 7:48 AM

How about a STUPID TAX on all these rediculous ideas that liberal tax and spend demacrats are always preposing everytime they prepose putting taxes on us for something we do and enjoy they par a 95% tax on being stupid annoying liberals

Posted by: Spurwing Plover at December 17, 2008 8:13 AM

The only time I buy pop is if my kids are sick. So it would be like a punitive tax on medicine for us.

Posted by: mandy at December 17, 2008 8:46 AM

WHAT? IT MAKES NO SENSE?

For evil, scumbag, liberal, socialist, parasites it makes perfect sense.

Posted by: Robert Johnson at December 17, 2008 8:58 AM

Does diet soda make you fat, or do more fat people drink diet soda?

Posted by: steve at December 17, 2008 9:00 AM

Steve, I think it comes from stupid people feeling virtuous when they have a diet coke so they have one more moon pie (pun intended).

The mood on the street/woods up here in the northern wilds is one of ridicule. Mr. MaGoo is up for legitimate election in 2010 and I'm going to do my part to send him packing. Skirt-chasing coke fiend is unfit for service.

Posted by: Karin at December 17, 2008 9:15 AM

think of the bootlegging opportunities! i see new and enterprising avenues opening...

Posted by: nanc at December 17, 2008 9:36 AM

The blind leading the blind.

Posted by: Smoke TNT at December 17, 2008 9:50 AM

Diet soda doesn't cause people to be obese. The thinking is that many people who drink diet soda overindulge in food because they're saving calories on the soda.

It's like saying a pair of Nikes caused you to lose weight. The Nikes may inspire you to run and exercise but they are not solely responsible for your weight loss. It's just a tool to get you from A to B.

Posted by: Anonymous at December 17, 2008 10:20 AM

P.S. I switched to diet soda about 10 years ago and did indeed LOSE weight. The thing is that I don't overindulge in food just because I'm drinking diet soda.

It's pretty stupid to drink regular soda, imo, since you're just drinking sugar water.

Posted by: Anonymous at December 17, 2008 10:22 AM

I don't think it's 'stupid'. It tastes good, so people drink it. Not everyone is concerned with any other factors. I'm not overweight, so why should I pay more for a Dr. Pepper?

Posted by: Smoke TNT at December 17, 2008 10:51 AM

First of all, the social engineering addiction of dipshits like the New York regular suspects is a fundamental element of Liberal Fascism.

Secondly, it embarasses me that a Canadian university would publish research that would suggest that diet soda could lead to obesity with the misleading conclusion "diet soda drinkers were more likely than regular soda drinkers to be obese".

I drink diet soda because I would like to lose weight. I don't use it as an excuse to increase eating. I am aware of the negative aspects of aspartame. Diet Soda doesn't contribute to an increase in weight. That doesn't make the social engineering right but it diminishes the arguement against SE to suggest that the noted studies have the opposite to intended effect.

Posted by: Willing Foe at December 17, 2008 10:59 AM

GET OUT OF MY LIFE AND MY POCKETS!

How about ONLY taxing someone extra if they're fat? You'd have a scale by the check out counter and a sliding rate of penalty for every 10 lbs. overweight that you are deemed to be. (But let's face it, losing all that tax revenue would be unacceptable to the politicians.)

Next it will be an extra fifty cents tax on every pound of cake. Maybe doughnuts will have an extra buck tacked onto each dozen. In fact, any food that is considered "unhealthful" will be fined. Sugar? TAX IT. Salt? TAX IT. Fat of any sort? TAX IT. Non-stone ground grain products? TAX 'EM. Non-organically grown vegetables and fruits? TAX 'EM. Frozen food, canned food, freeze-dried food, packaged food, leftover food: TAX IT TAX IT TAX IT!

I can see the billboards now: Eat A Big Mac, Go To Jail.

How about DEDUCTING some money from your grocery bill if you buy tofu or alfalfa sprouts? If you promise to join PETA, eat vegan, don't use deodorant and wear Birkenstocks maybe you could get all your food for free! How about THAT?

Posted by: matt at December 17, 2008 11:14 AM

"diet soda drinkers were more likely than regular soda drinkers to be obese".

I'm getting so weary of junk science, aren't you?
I say a $250 flat tax on each pretentious greygoose martini purchased on the Isle of Manhattan. $500 for a "Cosmo."

Posted by: Karin at December 17, 2008 11:24 AM

Pilots have been warned against regular consumption of aspartame, as they can lose their medicals due to seizures

Posted by: Random at December 17, 2008 3:18 PM

The crazy aspartame claims have either been debunked, or have no scientific basis.

Posted by: Smoke TNT at December 17, 2008 4:38 PM

Unless you drink diet CAFFEINE FREE sodas using something like Splenda, you are going to get a spike in your blood sugar due to the caffeine in regular diet drinks (this has been found in diabetics with Type II diabetes, thus far) and also thought to increase a hunger for more carbs.

Also, a lot of people seem to make 'mental compromises' with themselves. On the order of, "Well, I had a diet soda with lunch, so I can have that piece of cheesecake."

What with the surfeit of information available, consumers can make informed choices.Nevertheless, the onus rests with the consumer to understand that moderation, even in diet sodas, is their friend.

They don't need some moonbat governor legislating their lifestyle.

Posted by: Anonymous at December 17, 2008 4:53 PM

Regarding your last statement VH, liberals have already been aboard on not just a water tax, but a complete water ban. Just look at Penn and Teller's dihydrogen monoxide petition video.

Posted by: Smoke TNT at December 17, 2008 6:15 PM

Govenor pateron need a swift kick in the rear to jump start his pea sized brain

Posted by: Spurwing Plover at December 17, 2008 7:49 PM

88 new taxes they're going to try and sneak on me!! WTF? I hate this state. And now, I hear that Bloomberg that ratface called up someone and said, "Caroline Kennedy is going to be your new senator. Get used to it."

Throw all these bums out at the next opportunity!!

Posted by: Karin at December 18, 2008 6:39 AM

I think you are placing the blame on liberals a little too much here. I am very liberal, but I think this is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard of. True some liberals come up with some pretty ridiculous ideas, but so do many conservatives. In fact I'd be prone to say that conservatives have ridiculous ideas about things much more important than soda and taxes on it. There are many more things that actually matter. What about the giant cuts Paterson made to education and Medicaid. Those issues aren't getting nearly as much press as this stupid tax is yet they will make much more difference in many more lives.

And the tax isn't socialist at all. People in this country seem to have a very warped idea of what socialism entails in its true form. If it were a socialist plan the state would be manufacturing soda from our tax dollars/income and then giving it to us free when and if we wanted it.

Posted by: sarah at December 18, 2008 9:40 PM

Petition this ludicrous tax!

Posted by: fight at December 25, 2008 9:19 PM