October 13, 2008
Toledo Blade Calls for Obama to Impose Communism
Posted by Dave Blount at October 13, 2008 9:15 AM
Most people who support Obama don't know any better. But what about the media, whose neglected job it is to inform the public about his life history as an ultra-left radical? They must know something about the candidate they have been hyping into the White House. Do they want the country ruled by Marxists?
As far as the Toledo Blade is concerned, the answer is yes. Yesterday's lead editorial hauls out FDR's misgotten "Second Bill of Rights," strongly implying that it ought to be imposed by Obama, who has the ideological background to pick up where the socialist Roosevelt left off.
Although FDR was able to exploit the Great Depression to give our country a hard shove away from liberty and toward collectivism, his Second Bill of Rights thankfully went nowhere. It included:
• The right to a useful, remunerative job in industries, shops, farms, or mines.
• The right to earn enough to provide adequate food, clothing, and recreation.
• The right of every farmer to raise and sell his products at a return that will provide a decent living.
• The right of every businessman to trade with freedom from unfair competition and domination by monopolies.
• The right of every family to a decent home.
• The right to adequate medical care and the opportunity to achieve and enjoy good health.
• The right to protection from the economic fears of old age, sickness, accident, and unemployment.
• The right to a good education.
Sounds good — until you realize that only a totalitarian communist regime could guarantee universal access to these goodies. If trading freedom and opportunity for government-guaranteed subsistence is such a great deal, why do refugees who set out to sea on leaky rafts out of sheer desperation always seem to be leaving countries like Vietnam and Cuba, where this trade has been made on their behalf?