« British Grandmother Arrested for Asking Hooligans to Go Home | Main | Congress Holds Kangaroo Court to Denounce Bush »

July 26, 2008

The NEA: Our Mirror Image of the Taliban

Afghanistan's rigid cult of totalitarians is called the Taliban, which means "the students." America's mirror image of it calls itself "the teachers" — or rather, the Nation Education Association, which has much more to do with imposing hard left politics than it does with education:

The nation's largest teachers union, the National Education Association, attracted 9,000 delegates to its annual convention in Washington, D.C., over the July Fourth weekend. Delegates sported buttons with provocative slogans such as "Gay marriage causes global warming only because we are so hot," "Hate is not a family value," "The Christian right is neither" and "Gay rights are civil rights."
The delegates passed dozens of hard-hitting resolutions that now become the NEA's official policy. The resolutions authorize NEA members and employees to lobby for those goals in the halls of Congress and state capitols.
NEA resolutions cover the waterfront of all sorts of political issues that have nothing to do with improving education for schoolchildren, such as supporting statehood for the District of Columbia, a "single-payer health care plan" (i.e., government run), gun control, ratification of the International Criminal Court Treaty [which would severely undermine American soveignty] and taking steps "to change activities that contribute to global climate change."

When it comes to education, the NEA's main interest is in suppressing competition, the better to guarantee ideological homogeneity:

The NEA fiercely opposes any competition for public schools, such as vouchers, tuition tax credits, parental option plans or public support of any kind to nonpublic schools. […] The NEA opposes home schooling unless children are taught by state-licensed teachers using a state-approved curriculum. The NEA wants to bar home-schooled students from participating in any extracurricular activities in public schools even though their parents pay school taxes, too. […] NEA resolutions call for "programs in the public schools for children from birth through age 8" and for "mandatory kindergarten with compulsory attendance."

The unhinged feminazi agenda lives on at the NEA:

NEA resolutions include all the major feminist goals such as "the right to reproductive freedom" (i.e., abortion on demand), "comparable worth" (i.e., government control of wages according to feminist ideology), full funding for the feminist boondoggle called the Women's Educational Equity Act and censoring all masculine words such as husband and father.

The increasingly ambitious militant homosexual agenda also finds vociferous advocates at our largest teachers union:

The influence of the gay lobby is pervasive in dozens of NEA resolutions adopted by 2008 convention delegates. Diversity is the code word used for pro-gay indoctrination in the classroom.
The NEA's diversity resolution makes clear this means teaching about "sexual orientation" and "gender identification." The NEA demands that "diversity-based curricula" be imposed on preschoolers. […] The NEA wants all sex-education courses, textbooks, curricula, instructional materials and activities to include indoctrination about sexual orientation and gender identification plus warnings about homophobia.

An important objective of today's educrats is for schools to supplant parents, so that instead of family we will have the State:

The NEA wants every child, regardless of age, to have "direct and confidential access, without notification to parents, to comprehensive health education. That would include things such as learning how to use condoms for premarital sex, as well as social, and psychological programs and services."
The NEA wants public schools to take over the physical and mental care of students through school clinics that provide services, diagnosis, treatment, family-planning counseling and access to birth control methods. Family planning clinics are called on to "provide intensive counseling."

There is no topic on which the NEA is not aggressively wrong. Yet somehow the belligerent promoters of this deranged moonbat agenda have taken control of education. If their brainwashing is successful, the next generation will be unrecognizable as Americans.

nea.gif
And they do mean every child.

On a tip from Oiao.

Posted by Van Helsing at July 26, 2008 9:22 AM

Comments

The NEA's staunch leftist stance was one of the major reasons why I abandoned pursuing an education major early on in my college career.

Posted by: Thulsa Doom at July 26, 2008 10:06 AM

Can "Education" Camps for those with contrary views be far behind?

Posted by: Jim - PRS at July 26, 2008 10:13 AM

Its almost unbelievable how far to the left that the NEA is, they make Ted Kennedy look conservative and probably complain about "far right-wingers" like Ralph Nader.

Posted by: Ludwig Van Beethoven at July 26, 2008 10:46 AM

This is simple. Bust the union. Whatever it takes, we must break it apart. Home schooling, vouchers, merit pay...ANYTHING to get the teachers unions marginalized and (ultimately) disbanded.

They've screwed us in California so bad you wouldn't believe it. More money than EVER (adjusted for inflation and cost of living) is being thrown at these losers.

All we're getting for our money is generation after generation that can't read, resent America, speak spanish better than english and want a welfare handout.

BUST THE UNIONS NOW! I feel it's as serious as any terrorist threat. BUST THE UNIONS!

Posted by: matt at July 26, 2008 10:53 AM

Bust their lobby at least. It seems this one has been taken over by the left leaning, extreme Gay faction who of course are part of the deterioration of pubic schools. I don't know how politicians live with themselves when they support them. They are why children can't get a good education in American public schools, they are too busy teacher their agendas.

Posted by: HoosierArmyMom at July 26, 2008 11:17 AM

Posted by: V the K at July 26, 2008 11:38 AM

Cmon, we all know that supporting Universal Health Care and being opposed to the Iraq war are ESSENTIAL to teach Children...

Posted by: Kenny at July 26, 2008 1:13 PM

Off-Topic, but this PC bullcrap is really getting out of hand.

Posted by: V the K at July 26, 2008 11:38 AM

Funny thing is, the very people (blacks) who are "supposed" to be offended by the racist license plate weren't. The white woman who stirred the whole thing up is just displaying the years of PC brainwashing she's been subjected to.

I suppose the next thing she'll rail about is when she notices the country of Niger on her world map. She'll demand that National Geographic have it removed!

Posted by: Lyle at July 26, 2008 1:17 PM

My high school graduation was 30 years ago and even then, I knew the NEA was a leftard organization based on the marxist ideology they unsuccessfully attempted to implant into my teenage cranium. In college my science buddies and I had a good laugh over the 'secondary education' majors since we knew that major largely consisted of the worst students on campus. The ED majors' only redeeming attribute was their desire to stand before crowds and espouse their agenda before a captive audience of defenseless youngsters. Now, some of my instructors were decent and about half actually stuck to the curriculum with little deviation but those teaching the "liberal arts" subjects took the "liberal" part literally. Hope I don't meet a few of those former teachers at the reunion this year. It might get unpleasant -- for them that is.

Posted by: fellowes at July 26, 2008 1:45 PM

You would be hard pressed to post anything that the NEA does that would surprise me anymore.

I know this talk of this kind of behavior has been bouncing around the net, but here's confirmation

This just in via http://www.kjct8.com/Global/story.asp?S=8721644&nav=menu580_1:

"Denver firefighters have learned of a house full of urine being stored to throw at police."

Posted by: Hope at July 26, 2008 1:50 PM

These NEA members are following the plan of Bill Ayers - education professor, U of Chicago

Posted by: mandy at July 26, 2008 2:47 PM

Cop saves guy drowning in San Diego bay after he jumped off a yacht into the water.
Guy is totally out of control; grabs officer's stun gun and starts beating officer in the head.
Guy then reaches for officer's gun; officer shoots the insane, violent freak in self-defense.
This is how AP decides to report it:

Gay bias alleged in San Diego Bay shooting death

Posted by: mega at July 26, 2008 3:47 PM

Mandy, good point about Ayers...and true, too! CA schools may as well be communist indoctrination camps.

Hoosier, here in CA we need to bust the whole union, not just their lobbyists. You may not have read about it, but the 2006 election was totally controlled by the union (in terms of advertising against some propositions using out-right lies and turning out the union vote) and made our fence-sitting Governator into a totally castrated RINO (Republican In Name Only).

Posted by: matt at July 26, 2008 4:22 PM

I went to school in Florida and had a computer teacher( pre basic) that was hot after my girlfriend. I took him aside and told him if he called her at home or talked to her again I would beat his worthless little ass. He never bothered her again. Typical, he may have been 30 but had the mentality of a teenager.

Posted by: Farmer Ted at July 26, 2008 5:17 PM

But, Farmer Ted, your computer teacher was just setting the stage for John Edwards, many years later. Showing little Johnny how it's done, as it were!

Actually, wish you'd had the cause and opportunity to kick his ass -- only what he deserved . . .

Posted by: jc14 at July 26, 2008 6:47 PM

OT – Give me a F’n break! Give the Greenweeno’s an inch…………half legitimize them, and now they want to play with the big boy.

Baseball Team Clashes With Environmentalists Over Oil Company Advertising

Posted by: Oiao at July 26, 2008 7:20 PM

Hey Oiao...

If the 'Chesapeake Climate Action Network' doesn't like Exxon then THEY should step up and pay for the scoreboard, etc., huh? They should also quit using ALL petroleum products, period.

I suppose they would rather see "Planned Non-parenthood" or the NEA advertised with our tax dollars. That would make the worthless bastards cream their britches.

They couldn't possibly be hypocrites, could they?

Posted by: Jimbo at July 26, 2008 7:58 PM

My wife works as a office aid in a public school and the NEA forced her to join. They let it be know, if she do not join, she could not work for the public school of Alabama. I told her to quit but she loved the job and joined.

Posted by: shunha7878 at July 26, 2008 8:16 PM

I tend to think progressive and try to be tolerant. This is just over the top type stuff that is classic moonbat issues this website should focus on.

I only say this because it is so clear cut wrong that I don't see how anyone could defend without a million exceptions.

Posted by: Parker at July 26, 2008 8:37 PM

Posted by: mega at July 26, 2008 10:22 PM

There is no greater danger to our children than the NEA.

Posted by: Asmodeus at July 26, 2008 11:24 PM

Your schools are belong to us.

Posted by: Smoke TNT at July 26, 2008 11:55 PM

As if I didn't have enough reservations about sending my children to public school. Now I have to deal with teachers who moonlight as left wing propagandists??

This kind of thinking makes me queasy. I'm trying to teach my kids right from wrong, and now they're going to go to school and unlearn all I've taught them, and I have to pay for it with my tax dollars.

I don't think so...

Posted by: mikey777 at July 27, 2008 12:29 AM

And this would be why I teach in the public school, but will homeschool any children I have. In my English class, we spend more time on HOW to think than anything else. (Except for the time we spend figuring out what a word I use means - no dumbing down my vocabulary for their convenience.)

I would call what I teach logic except it is too far down the intellectual scale to be logic. You could call it common sense training. The best reward is when I hear students say things like, "the newspeople all think Obama is great, but he hasn't said anything about what he'll do as president. I'm going to wait to see that until I make up my mind." I'm not the only one in my district. There's a history teacher that makes students tell him WHY they believe any statement they present as fact. But I think my district is very unusal. Republicans outnumber Democrats and there are enough of us who are religious that the non- and anti-religious are at least respectful. Interestingly enough, those of us who lean right and teach with the idea of developing the mind rather than passing a state test are younger than the rest. It gives me a little hope for the future, though I have none for the NEA.

But while I can control my classroom and admire these pockets of good education, I will not risk my child's future and worldview on a roll educational dice. Especially not when they are loaded by the NEA. So it will be homeschooling for him or her by her educator grandmother, brilliant father, and me in my off time. I am sure that means that by the time the offspring is 6, I will be in serious trouble with the union that is supposed to be in the business of caring about my rights as an educator. Since I am obviously a part of what they consider to be the problem with education, though, I doubt I will get anything other than harassment...at best.

And before anyone asks, I do pay dues. The in-district ones go to good use, so far. As soon as I have 10 years in and not just tenure but my master's degree, I will be asking them to donate my national dues to a worthy (and annoying) charity.

Posted by: UinenMaia at July 27, 2008 6:56 AM

OT – Well, the UK suffers through the PC rants of the BBC, and we suffer paying for leftist propaganda via PBS.

This leaves only one reality. The Koran is the book of truth. That’s the next installment by CAIR funded PBS special programs.

PBS: Be More...Suspicious of the Bible

PS - shout out to Jimbo. Thinking of a trip out to your island in the next several months. Still owe you some beer. More later.

Posted by: Oiao at July 27, 2008 8:15 AM

Hitler could only dream of having organizations like these at his disposal. Stalin too.

Posted by: conservativeteen at July 27, 2008 9:27 AM

I was unaware that you have the same type of teachers' trade union in the US as we do here in Britain. I only hope that, as here, most teachers let the silly delegates play their student debating games and just get on with teaching the children as well as they can.

One part of the report which is particularly sinister is the call by the NEA for the responsibility for children to shift from their parents to the State (perhaps it would be more accurate to say from their parents to the NEA). This is part of the creeping assumption of powers to the State which is only too familiar on this side of the pond. Here is my take on it:

Posted by: FatBigot at July 27, 2008 4:15 PM

Shout back to Oiao: You're on, partner.

Posted by: Jimbo at July 27, 2008 4:23 PM

PS - Oiao - Bring Ms. Parker; she can test her spitting ability on the both of us (in case her aim's bad it will double her chances of hitting something besides the floor!) HA! I kill me!

But... Parker hitting the floor would be pretty much a given, huh? HA! I killed me again!

Posted by: Jimbo at July 27, 2008 6:46 PM

Jimbo, you think about me a lot, don't you?

Posted by: Parker at July 27, 2008 8:00 PM

WILCO.

Posted by: Oiao at July 27, 2008 8:01 PM

Out.

Posted by: Jimbo at July 27, 2008 10:13 PM

Posted by: V the K at July 28, 2008 6:02 AM

Also, British Graduates Turned Off to Teaching because it's too much like social work. Perhaps a hip, edgy advertising campaign will help. That seems to be the left's cure for everything these days.

Posted by: V the K at July 28, 2008 6:30 AM