« The Case for Reparations | Main | Planned Parenthood Makes Record Profits »

March 30, 2008

Fresno Loots 3M

Compliments of Richard C.:

The city of Fresno sued 3M because their 1" tape was only .94" wide but labeled as 1" tape. 3M had to cough up $693,000.
I'd guess they'll be going after Home Depot next for mislabeling their lumber as 2x4, 4x4, 2x6. We can look forward to buying a 1 1/2 x 3 1/2, 3 1/2 x 3 1/2, and a 1 1/2 x 5 1/2. Really rolls of the tongue.
Maybe after that they can go after the guy who advertises "Coldest beer in town."

With greedy moonbat Jerry Brown serving as California's Attorney General, this is only the beginning.

Posted by Van Helsing at March 30, 2008 10:50 AM

Comments

Memo to all competitors of 3M.

If Fresno can do this to 3M over .06", they can do it to you.

So how was the city damaged?

Posted by: on-the-rocks at March 30, 2008 11:00 AM

Too bad its Fresno. Fresno used to lean conserative..........those days are gone.

Califorina is the next UK, and then the rest of the US will follow.

Posted by: Oiao at March 30, 2008 11:40 AM

I just checked the 2.5 kilo bag of potatoes I bought and it actually weights 2.6. Who do I sue?

Posted by: Ian from the EUSSR at March 30, 2008 12:19 PM

Ian - careful with that extra 100 grams (or is it "grammes"?) of potatoes - if you start gaining weight, the nice lady on the telescreen every morning will make you exercise that much harder!

Posted by: PabloD at March 30, 2008 1:37 PM

I just started remodeling a 100 year old house and found actual 2 X 4's !! No kidding - the studs actually measured 2 inches by 4 inches. I was amazed.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 30, 2008 1:54 PM

I guess there are some Fresno employees with a lot of time on their hands. Measuring the width of tape, counting the sheets in a ream of paper, measuring 2x4's....I hope when budget cuts require layoffs at the county, these idiots are the first to go.

Posted by: Scott Piggott at March 30, 2008 2:56 PM

The price of tape just went up for everyone world-wide as a result of 3M having to pay frivolous reparations to Fresno.

Thank you, Fresno.

Posted by: Jimbo at March 30, 2008 4:43 PM

I agree with on-the-rocks where are the damages?

But I do not see this as total gov't waste. Standards amd Measures (or whatever it is called by each state) are valid gov't activities.

For example, try driving in Mexico and buy gas, what a pain in the ass. The lowest price in town per liter rips you off the most. In the USA if you are off by more than three ounces on a five gallon fill your station could be shut down.

Posted by: Mr. Parker at March 30, 2008 7:25 PM

No, Mr Parker, we don't need government to do what the market could do on its own. Dishonest businesses lose customers. Businesses that treat customers fairly stay in business. Employing lawyers and bureaucrats to micromanage business practices is waste, pure and simple.

Posted by: V the K at March 31, 2008 4:02 AM

so UP goes the price of .94 inch tape!

Posted by: nanc at March 31, 2008 5:57 AM

Just the kind of thing that makes businesses not feel so loyal to Americans and the idea of keeping jobs here.
These people won a frivilous lawsuit and now we all pay. A real judge would have either tossed it out or issued a warning to 3M to correct their packaging and thanked the people of Fresno for doing their civic duty and bringing it to the attention of the court, but no money unless they could demonstrate real damages! The problem is with the legal system and the lawyers manipulating it and the judges who let it happen.

Posted by: HoosierArmyMom at March 31, 2008 7:11 AM

I was typing a meassage to respond to V the K and thank you HoosierArmyMom. You basically summed it up for me, except I swore at V the K, lol. (that is a joke btw.)

Posted by: Mr. Parker at March 31, 2008 11:59 PM

It's refreshing to see a sense of humor come along once in awhile Mr. Parker. :-)

Posted by: HoosierArmyMom at April 1, 2008 12:44 PM