« Trial Lawyer–Democrat Alliance Holds Up FISA | Main | NAMBLA Ventures into Adoption »

March 10, 2008

Eliot Spitzer Discovers Another Downside of Capitalism

Eliot Spitzer, the righteous anticapitalist crusader who terrified sane New Yorkers by becoming Governor, has been nabbed arranging to meet with a high-priced prostitute.

Good thing this didn't happen to a local captain of industry. Spitzer would have had the guy crucified. For a Democrat politician, standards aren't as high.

With his wife at his side, Spitzer apologized for his behavior, while downplaying it as a "private matter." The phrase must have tasted funny in the mouth of a guy who has prosecuted prostitution rings, and who thinks even how much you weigh should be subject to state supervision.

stop-the-wars-on-whores.jpg
Spitzer supporters take to the streets, via Caption This!

On a tip from Wiggins. Hat tip: Cristy Li.

Posted by Van Helsing at March 10, 2008 1:46 PM

Comments

Apparently, the old douchebag wanted to do things the high-priced hooker didn't think were safe.

Also, the Kostards are already blaming Boosh for this. (Claiming Spitzey was caught by an illegal wiretap.)

Posted by: V the K at March 10, 2008 2:00 PM

What an arrogant dummy. I don't think the "unsafe" aspect involves anything juicy; it's probably more along the lines of not wearing a rubber, because he's Eliot the Great, and Eliot the Great gets to go through life busting prostitution rings while availing himself of their services, and not wearing protection while engaged in casual sex, because no sexually transmitted ill which befalls mere mortals will befall him.

I wish I could smirk, but I just feel sorry for his wife.

Posted by: avalon at March 10, 2008 2:23 PM

The wiretap was legal...they weren't looking for Spitzer, he just happened to make arrangements at a time when the ring was being investigated. So nice try...

Besides, if Bush is so stupid, how would he have the brains to put a program in place to catch a Democrat who "obviously" is smarter than he is?

And Spitzer is the hypocrite extraordinaire...prosecuting prostitution rings and then patronizing one himself. Not only does it make him look bad personally, but he opened himself up to blackmail and such from the thugs who ran it. Not very smart after all.

Posted by: Pam at March 10, 2008 2:25 PM

And avalon, I feel sorry for his wife (and kids) too. How awful that they have to go through this.

Posted by: Pam at March 10, 2008 2:27 PM

I see a great DC law firm in the making: Clinton, Craig and Spitzer, LLP. Specialists in sexual harassment cases since, oh, puberty.

Posted by: PabloD at March 10, 2008 2:31 PM

he's definitely the new face of hypocrisy - frankly, i don't know if the conservatives could afford another "sex" scandal - this ONE seems to put them all even.

and i feel for his wife and children also.

Posted by: nanc at March 10, 2008 2:32 PM

I'm glad that the WHORE in the picture didn't write "sex workers" on her sign. (I hate PC terms!)

Posted by: KHarn at March 10, 2008 2:33 PM

Usually, the trolls would defend Spitzer by saying it was a private matte (and throwing out the name of every Republican who's ever been involved in a sex scandal.) The fact that Spitzey prosecuted prostitution rings and struck self-righteous poses about it negates this defense.

Posted by: V the K at March 10, 2008 2:44 PM

And meanwhile across the boarder in PA, MoonBat school administrators apply a "vague Orwellian policy" that stifles both patriotism and free speech.

While they endorse every other extremem left perversion possible in the schools.............

Posted by: Oiao at March 10, 2008 2:57 PM

"Sex worker" is a good enough term when the regular terms e.g. prostitute tend to be used abusively, and it covers the range of services in the sex industry.

But then I'm a libertarian and have no doubts on this. Prostitution and all other aspects of the sex industry are no business of the state or anyone but the workers and their clients, and it's time that both the right and left wings stopped poking their noses into private lives and businesses.

It's nice to see a moralistic poltroon brought low. It reveals again the intense hypocrisy that invariably accompanies moral campaigners (let's not forget Pastor Ted, the gay drug taking user of prostitutes who "cleaned up his town", heh).

What did Spitzer do wrong, (ignoring the wretched stench of his hypocrisy)? Not visiting a prostitute. Nothing wrong with that. But. He betrayed his wife. That's what makes him a scumbag in my eyes. You take a vow of fidelity, you stick with it.

Just my tuppence.

Posted by: Ian from the EUSSR at March 10, 2008 3:08 PM

Further Proof NPR Caters to Extreme Left

As if you did not know that the Far Left uses your tax money to freely push their agenda, much as the BBC does in the UK.

Posted by: Oiao at March 10, 2008 3:29 PM

What I should have added to the above is, too bad Air America could not tap into free tax subs to keep them afloat.

Without US Tax subs, would PBS even exist now? Against the History, Military, Discovery and other for profit outlets of 'intellectual property' - nope.

Posted by: Oiao at March 10, 2008 3:37 PM

"The fact that Spitzey prosecuted prostitution rings and struck self-righteous poses about it negates this defense."

That's partially true, V, but the reason why we on the left (in my circles, anyway) never stood up for the "Steamroller" because he was, frankly, a thug.

We see him the same way we see Rudy and it matters not a bit that he wears a "D" or and "R" on his sleeve, when it should be "A" for hypocritical adulterer.

Corzine in NJ is the same way with money and patronage, which I why I voted, God Help Me, for a Republican, Forrester, for the first time, rather than cast a vote for an equally hypocritical corporatist whore like Corzine.

This is why I can understand conservatives being reluctant to support McCain, although I disagree with the reasoning behind it and the vehemence.

I have never met ANYONE who had a nice word to say about Eliot Spitzer.

Just to let you know that "Kostards" are not the definitive last word on what the left thinks (nor am I...)

Posted by: hashfanatic at March 10, 2008 4:14 PM

Spitzey's 2006 Campaign Slogan, No kidding, was "Bring some passion back to Albany."

Posted by: V the K at March 10, 2008 4:59 PM

I'm of the same mind myself Ian. What two consenting adults do, even if it involves exchanging money for sex, is basically of no concern to anyone in the government. As long as they are not making homemade bombs, murdering (or plotting murder) or beating the crap out of other people, it should be between them. They want smoke a joint, guess what, I'm for that too (and I fucking hate that shit personally, think it smells like someone lit a dog turd on fire). Consenting adults means consenting adults.

Spitzer, however, gets the asshole award helping New York slide further into a totalitarian nanny state. Hope his dumb ass gets impeached for this.

Posted by: Brooklyn Red Leg at March 10, 2008 5:08 PM

The "two consenting adults" argument goes only so far as the exchange of money and then it becomes taxable income. If I have to pay income tax then so should everyone else, including Elliot Spitzer's business associates in the entertainment industry.

By making prostitution legal you would still have those, that for whatever reason, would choose to engage in the business below board, so to speak. That will always be the case and then it comes back to whether or not you want to enforce the laws across the board or not.

Posted by: tfhr at March 10, 2008 7:11 PM

Posted by: Jay Guevara at March 10, 2008 7:58 PM

And I'm completely opposed to Income Taxation as well. I'm also not convinced the 16th Amendment was ever ratified, given that it came under Woodrow Wilson's watch, who was noted for doing things that were most certainly UnConstitutional.

Condoms take care of most of that. Given that they can be opened up to prosecution for passing VD to their client, if it were aboveboard, it would be self-regulating. If you make a dumb choice and sleep with a woman who hasn't been tested and don't use condom, thats your own stupidity.

Posted by: Brooklyn Red Leg at March 10, 2008 9:11 PM

Condoms take care of most of that.

Most.

Posted by: Jay Guevara at March 10, 2008 9:19 PM

Spitzer is a super delegate. For Shriliary. I would be very suprised if anything happens to him before the DNC. The Clintons are gonna do every thing they can to keep this hush, hush, and to keep him from sinking and dragging his vote with him

Posted by: conservativeteen at March 10, 2008 9:35 PM

"There is one other consideration, the one I brought earlier in discussions re homosexuality, and that is the public health issue. I don't care about prostitution per se, but it does have the distinct potential to spread disease quickly, far and wide, and for that reason must not be allowed to operate unregulated."

Ridiculous, Jay.

If the HIV epidemic hadn't killed ONE single gay person, you wouldn't have had ONE word to say about any "spread of disease".

It's only because you can yoke the issue of HIV among gays with the relevant issue of prostitution that you even felt compelled to mention "homosexuality" in conjunction with "disease" at all!

Oh, and incidentally?

According to the transcript, the "Steamroller" himself specifically REQUESTED unsafe sex during his sessions!

So much for heterosexual privilege and moral outrage...

Posted by: hashfanatic at March 10, 2008 10:59 PM

"Make up your minds, folks...either Bush is retarded or he's an evil genius. Can't have it both ways."
Yeah, it's funny that the uber- leftists try and push both descriptions on him simultaneously.

Posted by: Adam at March 11, 2008 7:03 AM

oh please. you feel sorry for the wife (children yes i feel sorry for them). wife however does not have a gun at her head; she wants the power prestige etc as much as he does and that's why she stands there by him instead of kicking him you know where and heading for divorce court. spineless dependent wimps who will take any abuse even public humiliation for the money, power etc.

Posted by: max at March 11, 2008 9:12 AM

I agree with Max.
The wife may have even known about the prostitution thing and accepted it to maintain her position. Just like Hillary did.

Posted by: UCA at March 11, 2008 10:55 AM

Thank you for telling me what I would have said. I didn't know myself, but I'll make a note of it for future reference.

Nonsense. Anyone with a great many sexual partners is a contract and risk to spread disease (see, e.g., Magic Johnson), whether they be normal or homosexual. It just turns out that those with a great many partners tend to be queers and/or prostitutes.

Public health considerations arising from prostitution have bedeviled armies forever. And homosexuals are a great reservoir of syphilis, gonorrhea, MRSA (as seen on an earlier thread), herpes, hepatitis B, and of course, HIV, for each of which the incidence and prevalence is many times higher than in the normal population.

So the spreading of disease is, contra you, a most valid consideration. Massive promiscuity is the sexual equivalent of sneezing in others' faces.

Posted by: Jay Guevara at March 11, 2008 11:02 AM

I don’t agree with Max. Way to blame the victim. None of us know what Mrs. Spitzer was aware of, or what suspicions she had. Many women never suspect that their husbands are cheating on them. No sane woman would assume that a husband with such a high profile would act so foolishly. Everywhere she goes, everyone knows and everyone is smirking at or pitying her. If he was my husband, I would’ve kicked his butt to the curb as soon as I heard the news; but she is a political wife. Every time a scandal like this comes about, there they stand, next to the jerk, with their stricken faces. It’s been all of 24 hours. Why not wait to see what action she takes, before judging her.

Posted by: avalon at March 11, 2008 2:16 PM

If Mrs. Spitzer is going to stay with Mr. Spitzer, may I at least suggest to her that she call up Mrs. Kobe Bryant and ask her which jewelry shop she visits on such occasions?

Posted by: PabloD at March 11, 2008 6:03 PM