« Global Warming Looting Is Underway | Main | Global Warming Makes Young Moonbat Faint at Governator's Speech »

February 29, 2008

We're Getting Colder, Not Warmer

If only global warming were real. Unfortunately temperatures are determined not by Al Gore's ideology, nor by the authoritarian bureauweenies who seek to exploit it, but by the Sun. Like the climate, the Sun's output naturally fluctuates — and it appears to be on the wane:

All four major global temperature tracking outlets (Hadley, NASA's GISS, UAH, RSS) have released updated data. All show that over the past year, global temperatures have dropped precipitously.
A compiled list of all the sources can be seen here. The total amount of cooling ranges from 0.65C up to 0.75C — a value large enough to wipe out most of the warming recorded over the past 100 years. All in one year's time. For all four sources, it's the single fastest temperature change ever recorded, either up or down.

In stark contrast to warming, cooling really is a problem:

Cold is more damaging than heat. The mean temperature of the planet is about 54 degrees. Humans — and most of the crops and animals we depend on — prefer a temperature closer to 70.
Historically, the warm periods such as the Medieval Climate Optimum were beneficial for civilization. Corresponding cooling events such as the Little Ice Age, though, were uniformly bad news.

A drop in temperatures would have only one benefit: in light of all the hysterical lies we've been told about global warming, at least a few people might learn better than to believe anything they're told by the media, the government, Al Gore or the United Nations.

temperature_drop.gif
World temperatures per the Hadley Center for Climate Prediction. Note the steep drop on the right.

On a tip from mega.

Posted by Van Helsing at February 29, 2008 10:53 AM

Comments

It's getting colder huh? Well that should give those self-pitying Eskimos something to be glad about.

Posted by: Ed at February 29, 2008 11:08 AM

Except that the people who are pushing the ManBearPig hoax are the same people who fell for Paul Ehrlich's claims that overpopulation would lead to famine in the USA in the mid 1980s, that all oil would be used up by 1997, that we'd be stung to death by killer bees, and that Ronald Reagan was going to start a global nuclear war.

There's a reason leftists fall for dumb hoaxes, it's because leftists are dumb people. All it takes to convince a leftist of anything is for a socialist politician to say, "All the science supports my apocalyptic scenario."

Posted by: V the K at February 29, 2008 11:12 AM

Well, like I said months ago, this shit is gonna get serious soon. If this trend continues for several years, well, lots of people around the world are gonna start croaking from starvation. We better stop pissing away our grain surplus, cause there's no way we can feed the people of this country if we've used it all up making ethanol.

Sadly, its not a joke, but people better start stocking up on non-perishable can goods, wheat, honey, sugar, rice, beans and other staples. A months supply of canned goods isn't a bad idea. Better to have it and never need it than not and potentially starve.

Posted by: Brooklyn Red Leg at February 29, 2008 12:03 PM

The liberals will not learn, instead they will probably spin the eventual global cooling as having been "too successful" at combating global warming.

Posted by: socialclimatechange at February 29, 2008 12:04 PM

Posted by: V the K at February 29, 2008 12:38 PM

A months supply of canned goods isn't a bad idea.

Posted by: V the K at February 29, 2008 12:40 PM

Chilly, Willy, The Penguin, He-Ha-Ha-CHOOOO!!

25 degrees here, brrrr, I'm freezing!

Anyone want some fresh snow?

Posted by: hashfanatic at February 29, 2008 1:03 PM

Doesnt matter if its warming or cooling there is nothing people can do about it. Everything on Earth must adapt as it always has. Thinking we can control the climate like tinkering with a thermostat is ridiculous.

Posted by: Anonymous at February 29, 2008 1:41 PM

We're Getting Colder

Thank GAWD Algorian strategy is working! (choke)

Posted by: Jimbo at February 29, 2008 2:19 PM

The Gore folks have already begun to deal with these inconvenient truths by renaming the phenomenon "climate change," rather than "global warming." This phrase is far superior, as it allows you to attribute virtually any natural disaster, hot or cold, drought or flood, asteroid or earthquake, to the "changing climate."

Posted by: CG at February 29, 2008 4:57 PM

CG: You nailed it, bud. Quite a while back the kooks dropped the whole "global warming" bit and latched onto the much more nebulous "climate change." Since the climate "changes" all the damn time, depending on time of year and your latitude, that makes virtually every weather event part of "climate change," and therefore the fault of MAN (evil s-o-b's that you humans are!).

They completely ignore the Sun (the SUN, for G-d's sake!) and its effects on Erf's climate, pretending in essence that it doesn't even exist -- or, if they have to take notice (it's kinda hard to miss the damn thing!), they disregard all that we've learned about sunspot cycles, with the attendant increased and deeply diminished solar activity, which in turn raises or lowers the temperatures on Erf. As we're now in a solar "minimum," temperatures on Erf are dropping; in a few years, as solar activity increases, the temperatures on Erf will start to rise.

But it's so easy to blame it all on MAN, thereby allowing the criminals, like albore, to extort money, which goes directly into their pockets, from the gullible masses who "so want to help out in this crisis," who "so want to matter," who "so want to make a difference" (Ah, you are making a difference! Albore is getting filthy rich off of your stupidity!).

Posted by: jc14 at February 29, 2008 8:27 PM

The kooks aren't blaming climate change on "man" - they are blaming it on the United States and maybe a few other western powers. WE used the energy deposits to build our societies which now generate the wealth; the use of said energy has caused some sort of climate change, which is adversely impacting the planet....and therefore, we owe it to the world to make restitution for our success by redistributing the wealth to others. Hence, "climate change" is a thinly disguised (and barely disguised, at this point) repositioning of the tired old goal of the left for us to give our wealth away so they can feel less bad about stuff. Al Gore notwithstanding, most of those people are only interested in Climate Change to the extent that it helps their goal of planetary wealth and power redistribution. That is why they can fly private jets and helicopters to global warming conferences and not feel the irony. There is no irony to them - it was never about the weather. Except for some naive tools on college campuses; those tools always believe everything no matter how stupid.

Posted by: mega at February 29, 2008 9:16 PM

mega,

If you think the 'tools' on the college campuses are worthless, try NASA.

NASA is full of 'tools' that can't even cut it in the academic profession on being in a third rate college.

They, civil servant scientest, are on the full social welfare program once they make it to 'gravy land' by becoming a civil servant. Their union won't allow Congress to fire them, for any cause. It is insane. The peer reviews are a circle jerk of group think.

Global warming bandwagon grab bag of popular grants and funding is the way to go for this bunch of intellectual clowns.

Posted by: Oiao at February 29, 2008 10:53 PM

Wow for once Oiao I agree with you, NASA it that bad. I kiss you Jimbo, just messing with you, lol.

But back on global warming, just messed up. I don't trust anyone that hasn't lived and worked paycheck to paycheck. I can't believe if it was even real that it should be a priority over people.

Posted by: Mr. Parker at February 29, 2008 11:05 PM

Mormon, right? ~_^

As for supplies, yep, a year's worth isn't necessarily a bad idea.

Posted by: Brooklyn Red Leg at March 1, 2008 4:01 AM

It might be time to stock up now. On CNN this morning they said produce was about to take off due to the dollar value dropping. Wheat is at 12$, which means bread is going up and the real kicker is CNN admitted that the high price of beef is due to the corn crop usually fed to cattle is now used for ethanol production leading to higher prices for corn. If corn ethanol production is enlarged, then beef may be headed for soylent green territory.

Be sure to thank a moonbat when you have to shell out 50$ for a steak.

VtheK "The crazy-ass cult I belong to recommends keeping six months to a year of supplies on hand, and also coordinating with fellow local cultists, so we can help each other out in times of emergency."

A large supply of ammo to protect the food is also a good idea.

Posted by: Hemlock at March 1, 2008 5:33 AM

Stock up on food now - you don't want to resort to eating moonbats when the apocalypse happens. They're too full of THC, and there's not enough meat on most of 'em (except for Al Gore...)

Posted by: PabloD at March 1, 2008 10:09 AM

Last year was the warmest year on record.
Of course someone may say that it is snowing where they live now, but I think that National Geographic is more reliable

Posted by: john Ryan at March 1, 2008 12:56 PM

At this point people are choosing their beliefs not upon what makes any sense but simply to be in opposition to some other group.
As for the cost of food, the cost of most of our crops have a direct relationship to energy costs as fertilizer is hydrocarbon heavy. You guys are really sounding like fools here. The increase in the cost of corn is probably the best example of corn costs = oilcosts
one bushel of wheat makes 73 pounds of bread. the cost of the wheat represents a very small proportion of the cost of bread. This is about 16 cents per pound of bread.

Posted by: john Ryan at March 1, 2008 1:12 PM

Dillweed, the cost of corn has gone up because of the artificial, government-mandated demand for methanol.

And the temperature drop over the last 12 months is global in scope and based on records kept by four separate weather agencies.

Also, the National Geographic society can become agendized the same as any other organization. Once the management decides to promote the global warming hoax, the organization follows their lead. They can hardly be considered objective. And playing up the global warming hoax has been good business for those who depend on grants and donations.

Posted by: V the K at March 1, 2008 1:55 PM

National Geographic turned moonbat years ago. Their magazine became solid propoganda for PETA, Algorians, Green Peace, Sierra Club, and naive idiots in general.

They have no credibility.

But MAN, they have some really, really pretty pictures, huh Ryan?

Posted by: Jimbo at March 1, 2008 2:46 PM

Moonbats like pictures. That science stuff is boring and confusing.

Posted by: V the K at March 1, 2008 2:58 PM

And of course I meant ethanol, not methanol.

Posted by: V the K at March 1, 2008 2:58 PM

That National Geographic article is from January of last year, predicting that 2007 was going to be the warmest year ever.

Good job of reading, john Ryan!

Good job of predicting, National Geographic!

Posted by: ent at March 1, 2008 3:06 PM

john R.

Did you actually read the article you cited? It was titled "2007 TO BE the warmest year on record" (emphasis mine). It was written on January 4, 2007. Guess what? NG was wrong.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 1, 2008 3:09 PM

dang it, ent. you beat me to it.

Posted by: baldeagle390 at March 1, 2008 3:11 PM

Man, moonbats are stupid.

Here's some advice - at least read the article before quoting it, mmmkay?

Posted by: forest at March 1, 2008 4:01 PM

And in a related note, watch as Penn & Teller get ignorant douchebag environutjobs sign a petition to ban DiHydrogen MonOxide. Thats H2O (Water) for you fucktards that failed basic chemistry in High School.

Yep, nothing like a bunch of dumbass environmentalists showing they know nothing. The 'Green Movement' (what a crock of shit, most of the stuff they oppose is made of carbon in one form or another) is not science, its religion.

Posted by: Brooklyn Red Leg at March 1, 2008 4:26 PM

"...dumbass environmentalists showing they know nothing."

BRL - That's a triple redundancy. :-)

Uness they go barefoot & nekkid, eat grasshoppers & pine nuts, never breath or fart - they are indeed crocks of shit.

Posted by: Jimbo at March 1, 2008 4:59 PM

Wow some smart comments. I like the Penn and Teller reference, as I hope you guys are starting to get my points (I personally think they are smart but naive).

Posted by: Mr. Parker at March 1, 2008 7:51 PM

Parker, you're drinking again, huh. You're one of the few bloggers I've ever seen that should be picked up for BWI. Try AA.

Posted by: Jimbo at March 1, 2008 8:20 PM

Jimbo, you must admit you like me now, kiss kiss. Just keep that purple stuffed toy away from me.

Posted by: Mr. Parker at March 1, 2008 8:26 PM

Jimbo, you know the rhetoric: we conservatives are supposed to be stupid barbarians who want to melt the planet with our man-fires and give out handguns to toddlers.

Posted by: monsterforge at March 1, 2008 9:24 PM

Well... I don't know about melting the planet, but everyone should learn how to take a firearm 'off-safety' as young as possible. :-)

I got my first real gun, a 410 shotgun, for my 9th birthday. As a neanderthal - that means I was still a toddler, right? :-)

(I got my first BB gun when I was 6.)

Posted by: Jimbo at March 1, 2008 10:16 PM

mosterforge, play the victim like a bitch. man grow up.

Posted by: Mr. Parker at March 1, 2008 10:30 PM

Lions, Tigers and Bears, oh my. Thought we were on Troll ignore mode....

But it is fun watching the Troll get constantly bitch slapped and keep coming back for more.

Must of been spanked as a child, or yesterday, since the apperance is still that of a child....

Posted by: Oiao at March 1, 2008 11:08 PM

"Thought we were on Troll ignore mode...."

You have proven quite obedient.

Will you agree to submit to physical discipline?

Posted by: hashfanatic at March 1, 2008 11:36 PM

Lions, Tigers and Bears, oh my!

Bit cold here tonight.....

I think I'll throw several logs into the fire and turn on the oil furnace............just because I can.

Oh, left the D truck running in the driveway.

I feel that it is my personal mission to pump as much personal carbon emmissions into the air tonight to benefit me and my community, to stop global cooling!

Posted by: Oiao at March 2, 2008 12:38 AM

Oh really, how are Penn & Teller naive? Oh, btw, before we start on them, lets get two things out of the way.

1.) I am NOT a Republican, I'm a Libertarain. That means the vast majority of my beliefs fall in line with P&T. We just happen to agree with many Conservatives that groups like ELF, PETA, Handgun Control Inc. etc are tools of Socialist douchebags who want to limit the freedoms of ordinary Americans guaranteed them at birth.

As others here can attest, that also means I support things like the decriminalization of marijuana use and most illicit drugs for consenting adults as well as for medical purposes. That and other positions may not make me popular among some here, but I agree with the ideas expressed on this blog more often than not.

2.) I am NOT a Christian, I'm a Deist. That means I accept Evolution as its propsed and most things about what we call The Big Bang. Does that mean I do not also accept that our knowledge of the biological world and physical universe changes constantly, causing further revisions? Of course not. All science is supposed to be based observed phenomena. Entropy (change) is an inherent part of our existence.

It also means I do not accept horseshit peddled as being science, such as Angthropogenic Global Warming. I don't accept the 'ZOMG, they is killing us with there doom engineered plants' or other Neo-Luddite fucktard crap trying to pass itself off as science.

So, now that we understand one another, you can continue.

Posted by: Brooklyn Red Leg at March 2, 2008 1:50 AM

Mr. Parker: "Corn and wheat are still mad cheap. I would say no more than five cents for a loaf a bread of wheat. Without even looking it up, what is wheat $10 a bushel, corn like $6? I mean that is cheap. Bushels are about 60 pounds for wheat, 55 for corn."

Tell that to these people:

Posted by: Anonymous at March 2, 2008 7:57 AM

last post was by me...not anonymous

Posted by: baldeagle390 at March 2, 2008 7:59 AM

Thought we were on Troll ignore mode....

Seems to work when tried. Ignored trolls are posting less. Fed trolls are posting more.

Posted by: V the K at March 2, 2008 10:06 AM

This summer in Sydney (Australia) was the first in 50 years that temperatures did not exceed 31 degrees C. (88 Degrees F)

Posted by: Aussie-John at March 2, 2008 2:32 PM

Brooklyn Red Leg, unless you are a moran, I said they are naive.

They do have basic points, and for some reason you want to split people. Guess what evolution is theory like gravity. Some of you call me simple but I am more simple than you. I support religion 100%, at least real religious people that are sincere.

Let me put this way, I would rather deal with sincere muslim that ANY atheist.

Posted by: Mr. Parker at March 2, 2008 11:22 PM