« British Nanny State Using Imaginary Obesity Crisis to Justify Totalitarianism | Main | Pat Buchanan Sums Up Global Warming Hoax »

October 23, 2007

Go Rockies!

colorado_rockies.jpg
If ever a team deserved to win…

I must be dreaming — the New York Times has just published an excellent piece praising the Colorado Rockies for getting where they are by emphasizing character. Amazingly, the team is not depicted as an intolerant cult, despite the prevalence of Christian faith among the players and management. General Manager Dan O'Down is quoted:

Do we like players with character? There is absolutely no doubt about that. If people want to interpret character as a religious-based issue because it appears many times in the Bible, that's their decision. I believe that character is an innate part of developing an organization, and to me, it is nothing more than doing the right thing at the right time when nobody's looking. Nothing more complicated than that. You don't have to be a Christian to make that decision.

But it does help, which is why you'll find the Bible instead of Playboy in the clubhouse. However, even if the Rockies paid $16 million to get rid of pitcher Denny Neagle for illegally indulging in degeneracy, non-Christians are made to feel at home. Reports Jewish Jason Hirsh:

There are guys who are religious, sure, but they don't impress it upon anybody. It's not like they hung a cross in my locker or anything. They've accepted me for who I am and what I believe in.

For a stark contrast, compare the Times' positive coverage with the venom spewed at the Rockies by The Nation, inspired by a report in USA Today last year. The Nation's Dave Zirin revels in the Rockies' formerly mediocre record and bizarrely (yet typically of moonbats) accuses the team of racism. He ridicules the value of character and denounces the Rockies' beliefs as "offensive." MLB Commissioner Bud Selig is actually taken to task for not doing anything about the Rockies being Christian. A small sample of Zirin's bilious moonbattery:

The Rockies right now are a noxious reflection of a time in US history when generals speak of crusades and the President recounts his personal conversations with Yahweh.

Any team hated by the folks at The Nation deserves the full support of decent people everywhere.

When the World Series starts tomorrow, the Rockies will face the Boston Red Sox, who place conspicuously less emphasis on character issues. But then, the Red Sox have a very different fan base.

Red-Sox_fan.jpg
A Red Sox fan demonstrates his maturity.

john-kerry_red-sox.jpg
Here's another one. Check out that grip; I guess he's throwing a change-up.

Hat tip: Slapstick Politics.

Update:

It looks like I owe the Red Sox an apology. Here's a 2005 Boston Globe article remarkably similar to the Times article linked above, except it's about the Red Sox. My only excuse is that I was led astray by Manny Ramirez's antics, and by seeing moonbats like Hanoi John, Ben Affleck, and Matt Damon in the stands.

On a tip from Robert.

Posted by Van Helsing at October 23, 2007 10:30 AM

Comments

Believe it or not, there are plenty of conservative Red Sox fans. They just don't do photo-ops at Fenway.
This list would include Mitt Romney, William Weld (both GOP Governors from MA), Don Carcieri (GOP governor of RI) whom the moonbats are attacking for this: http://www.theday.com/re.aspx?re=283bcc62-a408-4456-a312-0a517ca209eb

Posted by: joegosox at October 23, 2007 10:52 AM

It's an American game, and therefore both hateful and unfamiliar to him, but someone really needs to teach Kerry how to throw a baseball. That girly throw he made at Fenway was embarrassing even to watch. (Although in typical Kerry fashion, he laid it off on the National Guard soldier who was catching him, saying he wanted to take it easy on him. I guess otherwise he'd have brought the heat and possibly the injured the guy. Bwwahhaaa!)

On the other hand, his inability to throw may explain why rice grains hit him in the butt when he "threw" a grenade into a rice cache.

Posted by: Jay Guevara at October 23, 2007 11:56 AM

And me Joegosox - and do not forget Curt Schilling campaigning for Bush after the '04 WS championship. The Red Sox fawning over the faux fans like Affleck, Kerry, Kennedy et al - is kind of sickening but what're you going to do.

Posted by: Bandit at October 23, 2007 1:17 PM

Who cares! The bloated season is too long anyway! Baseball should end in September, period!

Posted by: ex-expat at October 23, 2007 2:06 PM

You may not know this but the lord is on the Sox side....well the lord of the dance, Jonathan Papelbon is the sox closer.

good luck sox!!!!

Posted by: ceann rua at October 23, 2007 2:21 PM

Over at Fark, the moonbats are going nuts poking fun at the notion that the Rockies' religion is a factor. I agree in the sense that I don't believe Jesus is for the Rockies. But the sense of camaraderie, friendship, trust, and team chemistry that is a byproduct of a club's shared faith--and its unwillingness to deny that participation to those who are not Christians--certainly is a part of helping the team go on a 21-1 run all the way to the World Series. Oh and stellar, MLB record playing defense, excellent pitching, and the best record in the NL every month since May doesn't hurt either.

Go Rockies!

Posted by: El Presidente at October 23, 2007 2:54 PM

Unfair jabs at Red Sox fans. I come from the most socialist state in the union (Maine) and am a Bosox fan from birth, but I am no moonbat.

I do call them Massholes though, due to their driving, but they call us Maineiacs for the same reason, so it's a wash.

Posted by: Anonymous at October 23, 2007 7:15 PM

Love the Maine-iacs. Worked with massholes too. No contest there. Too bad Maine allows 'em to cross their border.

Posted by: fellowes at October 23, 2007 7:55 PM

Couple of things:

1. That pic is all over the place - photoshopped with all sorts of team's logos. IIRC, the original pic is for some soccer team - crazy hooligans!

2. Kerry is as much of a fan of baseball as I am of, I dunno, anal warts. He was sucking up during the '04 election/World Series and was exposed as a total sham of a baseball fan (among other things). "Manny Ortiz," anyone?

I was born in Mass but I'm no lib. Granted, the majority up there are but please - sane, normal folk live there, too! ;)

GO SOX - IN THEO WE TRUST!!!

Posted by: SoxFan at October 24, 2007 1:50 AM

Couple of things:

GO SOX - IN THEO WE TRUST!!!

Posted by: SoxFan at October 24, 2007 1:50 AM

Couple of things:

GO SOX - IN THEO WE TRUST!!!

Posted by: SoxFan at October 24, 2007 1:53 AM

It was that sot Ted Kennedy who said, "Mike McGuire and Sammy Soosa." This during their home run chase in 1998. His attempt at appearing tuned in was an abject failure as he appeared even more disconnected from the rest of us.
Have another Chivas, Senator!

Posted by: joegosox at October 24, 2007 3:59 PM

Y'know, the kid could have been reacting to the Kerry photo-op?

Posted by: Jeff at October 25, 2007 3:47 AM