« Pete Stark Thanks Daily Kos for Support | Main | Anti-Americanism: An American Specialty »

October 19, 2007

Dog Publicly Starved to Death as Art

Just when you though modern art couldn't possibly get any more senseless and depraved:

Costa Rican artist Guillermo "Habacuc" Vargas found a dog tied up at a street corner in a Nicaraguan barrio and used it in an art exhibit. In addition to the live dog, Vargas' masterpiece included the words "You are what you read," spelled out in dog food, as well as marijuana and crack cocaine burning in an incense burner. This multimedia display also featured the Sandinista national anthem playing backwards.

Vargas gave instructions not to feed the dog, which was of course restrained. As planned, it died of starvation in the gallery.

This demonstration of artistic genius was intended as a tribute to Natividad Canda, a Nicaraguan burglar who got himself killed in Costa Rica by a pair of rottweilers guarding the property he was trying to rob. Vargas explains his work:

The importance to me is the hypocrisy of the people where an animal is the focus of attention where people come to see art but not when it's in the street starving to death. The same thing happened with poor Natividad Canda. The people sympathized with him only after he was dead.

Generations of moonbattery have reduced art to lunacy. Similar effects can be seen in every other aspect of Western culture, prominently including politics.

starved-dog.jpg
What art has been reduced to.

Hat tips: The GinBlog, For the Love of the Dog, on a tip from V the K.

Posted by Van Helsing at October 19, 2007 8:30 AM

Comments

Although it's voiced in contemporary moonbatese, that's not Western culture; that's some depraved Mesoamerican sacrificial practice creeping in to fill the vacuum. Disgusting.

Posted by: Beef at October 19, 2007 9:19 AM

If only Michael Vick had claimed to be an artist... instead of a po black child.

Posted by: DANEgerus at October 19, 2007 9:21 AM

That is really one of the most revolting things I've ever heard of.

Posted by: Pam at October 19, 2007 9:25 AM

well, jeeeez - i guess for art's sake anything goes and usually does.

Posted by: nanc at October 19, 2007 9:34 AM

He should be hanged alongside the gallery owners and others responsible. As they dangle together, they can ellicit among themselves the sympathy they should have generated before they deliberately tortured this animal. Now THAT's art.

Posted by: fellowes at October 19, 2007 10:12 AM

Good God! What a swine he is.

Posted by: Jay Guevara at October 19, 2007 10:12 AM

Poor pup.

Posted by: Jay Guevara at October 19, 2007 10:19 AM

Ummm...where is the outcry from the ASPCA? Don't they have international clout?

Posted by: Brooklyn Red Leg at October 19, 2007 11:13 AM

I am fucking disguested by this, i'm actually on the verge on vomiting from looking at the picture and article.

Posted by: furballz at October 19, 2007 11:45 AM

I know in my heart Vargas will have to answer for this. My hope is that it's sooner rather than later.

Posted by: Vegas Vic at October 19, 2007 12:38 PM

"The importance to me is the hypocrisy of the people where an animal is the focus of attention where people come to see art but not when it's in the street starving to death."

But don't you see, people? In order to HELP the dog, we have to KILL the dog.

er, wait...

Posted by: NudeGayWhalesForJesus at October 19, 2007 1:18 PM

Aren't there legal teams in Costa Rica that will take on prosecution of Guillermo Habacuc Vargas and his dispicable gallery?

Posted by: Fiberal at October 19, 2007 1:38 PM

so on the one hand you have a thief who broke into a house while the owner was away with intent to steal and do harm. he risked his life to do this and ended up trapped in the home because 2 large dogs pinned him down, until the genius starved to death. so instead of risking getting caught he chose to stay silent and die in a room.

verse

taking a dog off the street that was tied to something, into a gallery, tieing the dog up, and staving the animal to death, and having patrons of the gallery taught the animal.

is it just me or is there no connection to the 2 events?

Posted by: furballz at October 19, 2007 2:04 PM

Hurting animals for pleasure seems to be a significant part of Latin American culture (though, in fairness, some abhor it); I've even seen it in the construction business, when some possum, lizard or what have you is caught by boistrous "migrants". It only figures that it would find its way into modern "art".

Posted by: Toa at October 19, 2007 3:20 PM

At least the dog is now in a place now where others will welcome his company.

As for the artists' future, it's best not to think about such things.

Posted by: Corona at October 19, 2007 4:15 PM

This just might be worth a trip down to Costa Rica to find this guy. I think it would be an appropriate response to take him out into the Costa Rican jungle and tie him to a tree and let him slowly starve to death while the friggin ants slowly dine on him.

Oh...and I'd leave a photo of his great work of art so he'd have something to look at, while he was dying.

Posted by: Jack Bauer at October 20, 2007 7:05 AM

Tao
There IS a diffrence between hunting and torture.

Posted by: kharn at October 20, 2007 2:49 PM

Kharn: I wasn't refering to catching animals for food; I spoke of animals being caught and just tortured for laughs.

Posted by: Toa at October 20, 2007 7:58 PM

As just about everyone knows,myself & my husband run a pet sitting business & pet care. I strongly believe this "thing" should have the same done to him. God knows I would love to be the one to starve him to death & show him pup pictures every minute until his death. I just don't understand "things" like him. May he rot in hell from this day forth.....

Posted by: Cee "Snake" at October 21, 2007 11:49 AM

Aww. Poor Dog. This isn`t art. THis is just crazy. And people are watching this happen ... :o . People are just Scrued in their heads. Why doesn`t anyone help the dog ????????

Posted by: silje at October 24, 2007 1:06 PM

I weep.

Posted by: Jade at October 25, 2007 3:41 PM

they should cover his naked body with meat juice and throw him in a small windowless room with a pack of starving dogs.

Posted by: beverly at October 25, 2007 5:00 PM

I fogot..use the poor dogs from Mike Vick's compound.

Posted by: beverly at October 25, 2007 5:03 PM

POOOOR DOGS!
Lets hope they get some of the same treeatment... I am not fond of people treating animals cruely!

Posted by: Therese at October 25, 2007 10:06 PM

I live in Dharamsala, India, where the people are kind, but often poor, and many street dogs die of disease, injury, or resulting starvation. It is unfortunate in these “third-world” societies that these sweet and loving animals sometimes become too sick and depressed to eat, and then starve to death. The locals here don’t know what to do about it- they can barely afford their own healthcare, and many of the people are sick and dying too! And animal aid societies are few and far between in countries that are only beginning to provide adequate social services for humans. Two months ago, my husband and I took one of these dogs off the street, and it only cost about $50 (and many long, sleepless nights) to take him from the brink of death by starvation and maggot-infested wounds to what he is today- the happy, wonderful, sweetheart that is curled up beside my chair right now. But I have never seen something as horrible as this “artist”! And Vincent, the doggy we rescued, was MUCH sicker than the poor animal that this horrible man has now killed for recreation. I am appalled. I spent three weeks FORCING Vincent to eat to stay alive, by using a syringe to put food directly down his throat. And everytime he would throw it up, we would start all over again. And it is sickening that this “artist” (a Costa Rican, no less, and I’ve spent alot of time in Costa Rica- it is a beautiful country that prides itself on its eco-diversity) and his patrons allowed this to happen. Today, in response to seeing this monstrosity of “art,” my husband and I went out and rescued another street doggy from certain death from mange and infection. We’ve seen her at the bus station, and knew that she needed medical treatment, so that is what we did- we went to the pharmacy and bought the necessary supplies and administered them ourselves. And you would not believe how many smiles and thanks we got from the locals who watched us help her.

I believe that it is important to spread happiness and peace, and to allow others to see us do good deeds. It improves our mood. It improves the mood of the bystanders. And it improves our world. Don’t let this horrible “artist” turn you into someone like him. Don’t wish awful experiences on him and the others who allowed this to happen. Sign the petition, yes. He and his supporters should know that there are moral and ethical people out there who disapprove! Hit him in the pocketbook and the ego, and make his “art” un-fashionable and worthless. And then use your outrage to make a positive difference in the lives of other animals and people of third-world nations. Fundraise, donate, or, if you are inclined, get out there and make a difference first-hand by setting up your OWN animal aid society in a third world country. That is what my husband and I have decided to do. We are beginning the planning processes of organizing an animal aid society here in Dharamsala to provide on-street medical care, catch-and-release spay and neuter services, a small dog shelter for sick and aggressive animals, and public information campaigns for the doggies of Dharamsala.

See the pictures of the Dharamsala doggies here: http://vincents-left-ear.blogspot.com/

In solidarity for our furry friends,

Eliza Mae Marlie

Posted by: Emma at October 26, 2007 5:35 AM

What is thy servant, that thou shouldest look upon such a dead dog as I am? (2 Samuel 9:8)
I was an dead dog but chosen by His mercy and grace.

We read in Ephesians 2:1-10: And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others. But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

I like to visit the dear people in Costa Rica to share the True Gospel of Salvation with the tract “¿Sabe Usted si DIOS lo Ama?” of Family Radio: http://209.10.202.163/graphical/literature/tracts/frames/tracts/spanish/sabe_dios_ama.htm

¿ESTÁ USTED LISTO PARA ENCONTRARSE CON DIOS?

Sincerely in Christ,
Cornelis Droog

Posted by: Cornelis Droog at October 26, 2007 12:23 PM

:'(

Posted by: Line at October 30, 2007 11:41 AM

Very good site. Thank you!

Posted by: handsome gay naked man at November 8, 2007 10:57 AM