« Newsweek Tries Force-Feeding Global Warming Kool-Aid | Main | Even Some in Hollyweird Fed Up With Sean Penn »

August 6, 2007

Another Socialized Medicine Horror Story

From City Journal:

Mountain-bike enthusiast Suzanne Aucoin had to fight more than her Stage IV colon cancer. Her doctor suggested Erbitux — a proven cancer drug that targets cancer cells exclusively, unlike conventional chemotherapies that more crudely kill all fast-growing cells in the body — and Aucoin went to a clinic to begin treatment. But if Erbitux offered hope, Aucoin's insurance didn't: she received one inscrutable form letter after another, rejecting her claim for reimbursement. Yet another example of the callous hand of managed care, depriving someone of needed medical help, right? Guess again. Erbitux is standard treatment, covered by insurance companies — in the United States. Aucoin lives in Ontario, Canada.

That is, Canada, the land of enlightened socialized medicine, of the kind we will have here if we allow Democrats to impose it on us.

To the left, individuals like Suzanne Aucoin are insignificant. All that matters is that the sacred State be allowed to metastasize. Too bad Erbitux doesn't work on governments.

erbitux.jpg
Sorry: not available under Canadian socialism.

On a tip from V the K.

Posted by Van Helsing at August 6, 2007 6:46 AM

Comments

If you want a trip to the doctor to be like a trip to the DMV, support socialized medicine.*

(*Except it will be worse than the DMV, because you'll be sick, and they'll still make you wait in line for three hours before telling you you were in the wrong line and have to start over.)

Posted by: V the K at August 6, 2007 7:26 AM

Our daughter was born with a congenital nephrotic syndrome (kidneys with a genetic defect.) Although rare in the U.S. it is not uncommon in Finland. Several operations later (including a kidney transplant) and now 10 years later, she is now a happy 5th grader.

The treatment for this syndrome in Finland, which is detectable via amniocentisis?

Abortion.

Posted by: Bryan at August 6, 2007 9:21 AM

Bryan, my son has a persistent problem with headaches. A couple of years ago, during a check up, the doctor noticed something hinkie and put him in for a CAT Scan. He made the appointment that morning, we drove to the hospital, and 45 minutes later it was done.

Fortunately, everything turned out to be fine, imagine we were in Canada and had to wait 6-12 weeks for a CAT Scan. Imagine worrying for 6-12 weeks whether your kid had a brain tumor because rationed socialized health care meant having to wait.

Posted by: V the K at August 6, 2007 9:28 AM

I wonder where "youareallidiots" is now...

Posted by: Archonix at August 6, 2007 11:08 AM

I wonder where "youareallidiots" is now...

Two words: Bongwater Hangover.

Posted by: V the K at August 6, 2007 11:15 AM

MMMMMmmmmm....Bong Water!

Posted by: James Hooker at August 6, 2007 12:11 PM

>>I wonder where "youareallidiots" is now...

Missing me? That's sweet of you...

Continuing the previous thread:

>>I mentioned stephalococcus, which is a pretty nasty infection.

Staphylococcus can be nasty, but doesn't have to be. What specific drug is the NHS recommending?

>>Only, when a steph infection hits to the point of being noticable you've got about two weeks to live anyway,

Not true. But if the antibiotic prescribed is not working and the symptoms get worse, you go back to the doctor - right? Are you telling me they will send you away? Be real.

>>France operates a dual system. Basic health insurance is provided by the government for emergency care.

It's more than just emergency care my friend. I know that system very well. And it works well. So why don't we implement that system here? While you guys seem to think the only options are either Cuba or us, there are plenty of good systems out there. But I guess that would mean actually admitting that other countries do some things better than we do - and that is beyond your capability.

>>Go to the blue shield website and check it out.

I did, and the BCBS site doesn't provide quotes. Give me the link to the broker you are using. Otherwise I have to assume you are just making this up.

>>I agree it's probably not the best plan but even if you're poor and that’s all you can get

How will this plan protect you from the very real and very major costs of a serious illness? The day to day doctors visits are not the main issue.

>>Not quite as scary as that $150,000 number that I'm sure you simply pulled out of your ass.

Spoken like a true conservative: Opening your big trap when you have no clue about the subject matter. The two figures I quoted are from personal experience:

1) $40,000 was for a standard cesarian birth of our second daughter - with no complications and a standard 4 day hospital stay. Thank God the insurance covered most of it.

2) My father in law is currently undergoing chemo. Each round (5 days in the hospital + drugs) costs $55,000. He just finished his 3rd round. He has two to go and if everything goes well (please keep your fingers crossed for him) he will need a bone marrow transplant. Total cost for the treatment is estimated at $550,000 - $650,000. That's right, over half a million dollars.

Do you think your $87 a month plan will cover you for that? No? Then I guess people on that plan just shouldn't get cancer, right? Should be easy enough, since it's only liberals expecting handouts that get cancer. Idiot.

Posted by: youareallidiots at August 6, 2007 1:15 PM

>>Another Socialized Medicine Horror Story

Unlike here, in capitalist paradise, where we only have 18,000 insurance caused deaths per year.

>>To the left, individuals like Suzanne Aucoin are insignificant

To the conservatives 18,000 deaths caused by our insurance systems and 50,000,000 uninsured are insignificant. Dropping behind in life expectancy is insignificant. Millions of bankruptcies caused by medical costs are insignificant.

Yes, you are all idiots.

Posted by: youareallidiots at August 6, 2007 1:24 PM

Move to Cuba and get well. You are one sick puppy. They take care of the mentally ill quite well. You could have your own nasty little room with a mattress. You'll be happy there. You'll still have delusions - but that's okay, you'll feel better because you'll be getting the very best health care Michael Mooron can bring you.

A total idiot asshole calling everyone else "idiots". Social liberalism does that to brains - particularly when there wasn't much up there to begin with.

Posted by: Jimbo at August 6, 2007 3:46 PM

Hey "youareallidiots" - do you wet your britches when someone looks at you mean?

Posted by: Jimbo at August 6, 2007 3:48 PM

Posted by: MB at August 6, 2007 3:56 PM

Posted by: d at August 6, 2007 5:21 PM

>>Move to Cuba and get well. You are one sick puppy. They take care of the mentally ill quite well.

Bla, bla, bla... make an argument or get lost. We're talking about Canada, what's your fascination with Cuba?

>>You know - just once I wish a worthless liberal had the balls to call me an idiot to my face.

And then what?

I bet you must be a really tough guy. Making physical threats on the internet :)

>>Here you go dumbass! Judging by the way you write your cake hole ought to be sizeable enough to fit your foot in it.

That statement would have been far more impressive if the link actually worked... Still no link to the fabled $87 a month wonder-insurance.

Let me make it simple for you: The average health care cost for an American is roughly $7,000 per year. Yet you found a plan that you believe will charge you only $1000 a year, the company will make a profit and still pay all your bills? Idiot.

>>all that matters to moonbats is that everyone receive the same care. their goal: equality in poverty.

Like the poor in Sweden, Norway, Finland, Germany, France... yup, people in those countries have it rough!

All that matters to us is that everyone gets at least basic care.

All that seems matters to you folks is to make state vague generalities and make dumb threats. I certainly haven't seen a well argued response from anyone here.

Posted by: youareallidiots at August 7, 2007 3:13 PM

So you're smarter than everybody but can't look up health insurance? The internet can be sorta hard to figure out for morons/liberals so how 'bout I make it easy for you, go to google and type in 'blue shield'. (I happen to live in Colorado and I'm sure that because of my source IP, the search recognized that and came back with results for Colorado insurance) The cheapest plan for me was $87 a month, with a max annual out-of-pocket of $3500. If you're as smart as you claim to be it should be no problem. Good luck, I predict you'll need it.

Posted by: MB at August 7, 2007 3:46 PM

'youareallidiots' might have just shown us why some people don't have insurance, you have to be smart enough to look it up before you can buy it.

Posted by: MB at August 7, 2007 4:24 PM