« $21 Million Suit Over Preventing an Abortion | Main | New Republic Accused of Fabricating News Again »

July 24, 2007

Alec Rawls Continues to Fight Flight 93 Memorial Abomination

Now a word from Alec Rawls, who as mentioned previously has been fighting to stop the Flight 93 Memorial, which if built as planned will commemorate not Todd Beamer and the other heroes on that flight, but rather the maniacal Muslims who hijacked the jet:

I am currently engaged in something approaching war with western Pennsylvania newspapers that have fact checked my claims about Islamic and terrorist memorializing features in the Flight 93 Memorial and found them to be accurate, but are refusing to tell their readers. At the same time, they are quoting numerous critics and Flight 93 family members who claim that I am spreading preposterous untruths. The press is whipping up the local population against me as I am set to travel out there tomorrow to attend the Memorial Project's yearly public meeting this weekend, and I am firing back by running 3/4 page full color advertisements in the Somerset Daily American. (Somerset is next door to the Flight 93 crash site.)
The back-story is the Memorial Project lying to the Flight 93 families about my findings (thoroughly documented in my Crescent of Betrayal book). For instance, they lied to the families about the Mecca orientation of the giant central crescent of the original Crescent of Embrace design. This giant crescent remains fully intact in the Bowl of Embrace redesign, and it is trivially easy to verify that a person facing directly into the crescent is facing almost exactly at Mecca. The leaders of the Memorial project admit this. In an April 2006 conference call, Project Superintendent Joanne Hanley explained why she wasn't worried about the almost exact Mecca-orientation of the crescent. "It's not exact," she said to me. "That's one we talked about. It has to be exact." At the same time, she was telling the Flight 93 families that my information had been investigated and debunked.
I actually got a local reporter to fact check the orientation of the crescent last week. I gave him the address of an Islamic website that has a Mecca direction calculator. While I was on the phone with him, he downloaded a Mecca direction graphic for Somerset and placed it over the site plan. (Recreation below, with crescent bisector superimposed). "Yup. It points to Mecca," he told me, assuring me that he would publish this bit of fact checking in his article, but he didn't. Again, reporting only quoted people saying that I am a liar. I suspect that it was the editor that stripped the fact checking out.
flight-93-memorial.jpg
Green circle was obtained from the Salat Times utility at Islam.com. It shows the direction to Mecca from Somerset PA. The red arrow shows that a person standing halfway between the tips of the giant crescent and facing into the center of the crescent is facing almost exactly at Mecca. The meaning? A crescent that Muslims face into to face Mecca is called a mihrab and is the central feature around which every mosque is built. (Everything you see in this graphic remains completely intact in the superficially altered Bowl of Embrace redesign.)
Here are some links to the war that is ongoing between the press and myself.
Yesterday's large color copy here:
Today's large color ad copy here:
The Tribune Democrat's fact-checking free reporting here:
And here:
I need more help exposing this bad behavior. The press is setting up the local people to want to tear me apart this week. They know that the Memorial Project is using the families to block for the hijacker and they refuse to let their readers know.

Fortunately, we are no longer at the mercy of the print media. Rawls' book explaining this insanity is still available for free download here.

Posted by Van Helsing at July 24, 2007 11:11 AM

Comments

Just spin the thing around 180 degrees so it faced AWAY from Mecca. And in the center of crescent opening a giant statue with its ass up in the air with KISS MY ASS ALLAH stenciled on the buttocks.

Posted by: Anonymous at July 24, 2007 11:55 AM

This is as outrageous as building a Shinto shrine to the Emperor Hirohito over the Arizona at Pearl Harbor, with the Imperial war flag flying in the breeze.

Posted by: James F McEnanly at July 24, 2007 2:17 PM

Hey, while we're at it, let's take down the flag-raising Iwo Jima statue, since the Japanese might just find it offending (Americans taking their island and raising Old Glory on top of Surabachi -- how dare they!).

I've always thought the Flight 93 Memorial should be a simple plaque, an In Memoriam listing the names of all of the flight crew and passengers, Todd Beamer's famous words: "Let's roll!," and this brief dedication: "To the Islamofascist scum who hijacked Flight 93, and to your fellow travelers all over the world: this is what you get when you fuck with the United States of America. May you roast in Hell forevermore, you miserable failures."

No 72 virgins for you guys, and ain't that a shame?

Posted by: jc14 at July 24, 2007 8:10 PM

Akbar Nokmum. Learn it, get used to it. Praise it.

Posted by: Anonymous at July 24, 2007 10:41 PM

My bad, Akbar Noknum. Get used to it.

Posted by: Anonymous at July 24, 2007 10:42 PM

This is disgusting! How could these people (designers and directors of flight 93 memorial) argue that the thing is not in the shape of a Muslim crescent? If it were in the shape of a cross would they be able to see that? AND it faces Mecca! duh!! This is a disgrace and a travesty. Is there an organized effort to stop this thing? I have several people who would like to sign up.

Posted by: Scott Qualls at July 26, 2007 3:52 PM

To Whom It May Concern:

I am an architectural designer and builder in the Kansas City area. After years of studying architecture, design, and architectural history, five years at Kansas University School of Architecture, and fifteen years in the architecture and design field and building industry, I have learned to recognize the subtle messages that are conveyed by a building or landscape on a symbolic level.

While viewing an aerial illustration of the planned “Flight 93 Memorial” it was immediately apparent that the design is in the shape of the Muslim crescent. Is this memorial intended to be a tribute to the Islamist men who attacked the plane? God forbid! The memorial should be a clear monument to the brave men and woman aboard Flight 93 who lost their lives while defending our country on that tragic day. Any ambiguous messages conveyed by the designers will be an insult to the citizens of this country, who have mourned for the loss of American lives on September 11 and wish to celebrate the bravery and sacrifice of the people who thwarted the murderous mission of the Islamic extremists aboard Flight 93.

It is hard to believe that the symbolic effect of the design, whether intentional or unintentional, has been missed by the directors of the “Flight 93 Memorial Project”, since it is easily recognized by lay people to whom I have shown the picture. Why would you want to build the memorial in the shape of a religious symbol, especially that of the Islamist extremists who perpetrated the crime? If this design is built it will, without a doubt, be a point of contention and criticism. After talking with others about the issue it is apparent that I am not alone in my outrage at seeing such a blatant disrespect for the spirit of American patriotism demonstrated by the heroes aboard that plane.

I am writing as an American citizen to ask you to cancel the present design and pursue another plan or none at all. Having no memorial at all would be preferable to the present plan. If you insist on building the crescent-shaped design, against the wishes of reasonable Americans, then you are truly out of touch with the reality of the proud and strong American people who are the engine which drives the success of this magnificent country you and I enjoy. Please reconsider.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful consideration of my concerns.

Sincerely,