« Woman Jailed After Preventing Bike Theft | Main | Prince Charles Declares War on McDonalds »

February 27, 2007

TerraPass: Sineating for Gaia

A reminder to those in the global warming Kool-Aid club who have to grapple with guilt and even feelings of hypocrisy for advocating Al Gore's absurd War on Weather while partaking of the benefits of industrialized civilization: an enterprising outfit called TerraPass sells eco-indulgences, which let you inflict climatic doom to your heart's content without putting a dent in your aura of righteous smugness.

Say you own a 2004 Ford Explorer and you drive it 20,000 miles a year. Plug the numbers into TerraPass's handy interface and out comes the amount you owe Gaia: $79.95 per annum. Since Gaia is a goddess and not a real person, TerraPass will collect the cash on her behalf, and send you a decal you can proudly display on your vehicle.

TerraPass also capitalizes on travel by air. To get the TerraPass folks to eat the sin of flying from Phoenix to Chicago and back costs only $9.95.

In light of the massive quantities of energy Al Gore guzzles at his Nashville mansion, a thumbs-up from TerraPass might cost him a pretty penny. But a clean conscience is a bargain at any price.

terrapass.gif
As they say, there's one born every minute.

On a tip from Bernie.

Posted by Van Helsing at February 27, 2007 3:03 PM

Comments

I put in my car, 2003 Honda Accord w/ standard tranmission, and it came to 79.95 a year too. Whodathunkit?

Posted by: Jason at February 27, 2007 4:05 PM

Posted by: bird dog at February 27, 2007 4:20 PM

My 1995 Geo Prizm w/standard transmission comes to $39.95 per year. I get about 30 mpg/city. I'm not bragging; I just can't afford another car right now. I'm going on 30K miles on the car and am wondering when it's going to kick the bucket.

Back to the Terra Pass: who's spending the money and on what? Just another feel-good thing for suckers to drop their cash on.

Posted by: Pam at February 27, 2007 4:44 PM

Oops, that's 130K miles on my car...

Posted by: Pam at February 27, 2007 4:45 PM

Posted by: bro robin at February 27, 2007 5:11 PM

This is a copy of an email I sent to another source for this story (I'd heard about it on the radio this morning).

I listen to you regularly, and watch your TV program when I can catch it, schedule permitting. After this morning's broadcast, I later visited Terrorpass (sorry, I can't seem to get the spelling right), and left a comment around 1PM Central at http://www.terrapass.com/terrablog/posts/2007/02/terrapass-sweeps-the-oscars.html

Verbatim, it read;

"Gee, I don't think I can afford your special environmental dispensation. I'll just keep hoping Al and Tipper will shut off the power to the pool house."

Which all things considered, was pretty tame.

Though not titled as such, their terms of use reads:

"READ BEFORE POSTING.Use "dinner party" rules to keep the conversation productive: don't hog the mic; keep comments relevant; and say only things you would say to someone's face. Strong, diverse opinions are good. Insults, vulgarity, and shouting are bad. Comments in violation will be deleted or edited to make the author look silly." (Bolding mine.)

Surely I met the criteria on all three counts. My comment was deleted.

Posted by: Hope at February 27, 2007 5:49 PM

"Sounds like these whack jobs have actually come up with a great money-making scheme, why didn't I think of this?!!!"

Because you're honest?

Posted by: KHarn at February 27, 2007 6:43 PM

So the greens have found a way to make money from hypocrisy.

Posted by: Eric at February 27, 2007 8:35 PM

Why didn't I think of this! What a wonderful scam - taking money from naive Dems. DAMNIT!!!

Posted by: Damnit! at February 28, 2007 9:41 AM

Ah ha! Maybe this is a Republican scam after all.

Those damn NeoCons are so clever (except when we say they are not).

Posted by: Freedom Now at February 28, 2007 9:50 AM

I just spent about an hour at the TerraPass website. I was trying to find out just exactly what they are selling and how much profit they make.

For your purchase you seem to be buying the TerraPass company an investment portfolio in Green projects. According to the report on their website they take 1/3 of their money and invest it in these projects and the other 2/3s of the money (from the 2004, 2005 report) were used to buy carbon offsets from the Chicago Climate Exchange.

In their FAQs they state that they are a for profit company but nowhere in any of their documentation can I find any breakdown of how much money they take from each purchase and call profit and how much money from each purchase is actually used to buy "investments" and carbon offsets. And note, any investments in private companies are their property not yours. You are giving them money to do what they want with. The people that buy these passes appear to be financing this company's investment portfolio and getting nothing but a sticker to put on their car in return.

A sucker is born every minute.

Posted by: kevin at February 28, 2007 11:43 AM

bumper sticker

Just whipped this up, make stickers, use as desktop etc.

Posted by: James Pence at March 3, 2007 9:26 PM