« Curtains for Churchill | Main | The Return of Governor Moonbeam »

June 27, 2006

What a Soldier Thinks of the Gray Lady

It may never have occurred to the fifth-columnists at the New York Times and Los Angeles Time to wonder what the soldiers out there risking their lives to defend them think of their treasonous efforts to assist Islamic terrorists. But if the curiosity that's said to characterize journalists ever gets the better of them, they might want to refer to a letter from U.S. Army Lt. Tom Cotton regarding their willful exposure of the program to track terrorist financing, sent from Iraq and published on Power Line. Here's most of it:

Unfortunately, as I supervised my soldiers late one night, I heard a booming explosion several miles away. I learned a few hours later that a powerful roadside bomb killed one soldier and severely injured another from my 130-man company. I deeply hope that we can find and kill or capture the terrorists responsible for that bomb. But, of course, these terrorists do not spring from the soil like Plato's guardians. No, they require financing to obtain mortars and artillery shells, priming explosives, wiring and circuitry, not to mention for training and payments to locals willing to emplace bombs in exchange for a few months' salary. As your story states, the program was legal, briefed to Congress, supported in the government and financial industry, and very successful.
Not anymore. You may think you have done a public service, but you have gravely endangered the lives of my soldiers and all other soldiers and innocent Iraqis here. Next time I hear that familiar explosion — or next time I feel it — I will wonder whether we could have stopped that bomb had you not instructed terrorists how to evade our financial surveillance.
And, by the way, having graduated from Harvard Law and practiced with a federal appellate judge and two Washington law firms before becoming an infantry officer, I am well-versed in the espionage laws relevant to this story and others — laws you have plainly violated. I hope that my colleagues at the Department of Justice match the courage of my soldiers here and prosecute you and your newspaper to the fullest extent of the law. By the time we return home, maybe you will be in your rightful place: not at the Pulitzer announcements, but behind bars.

There is a reason treason is against the law. The anti-American Left has repeatedly taken advantage of the fact that this law seems not to be enforced any longer. They have been testing the limits, seeing just how far they can go before America wakes up and realizes that it has to defend itself from internal as well as external enemies.

By deliberately exposing the program to combat terrorist financing despite government pleas, the liberal elite media has made it crystal clear that a) they regard themselves as a higher authority than our elected government; and b) they will not hesitate to go beyond propaganda to offer concrete intelligence support to the Islamic terrorists who strive to kill as many of us as they can.

The time has clearly come to draw the line. People must be called to account for this overt act of treason. New York Times Executive Editor Bill Keller — who ignored pleas from co-chairmen of the bipartisan 9-11 Commission, Governor Tom Kean and Congressman Lee Hamilton, and even from the vehemently anti-Bush John Murtha not to expose the program — needs to be arrested ASAP.

Anyone who agrees that the Department of Justice ought to prosecute is urged to send them an email at askdoj@usdoj.gov. Michelle Malkin offers some compelling sample letters.

bill-keller.jpg
Keller would look better in black and white stripes.

Posted by Van Helsing at June 27, 2006 7:37 AM

Comments

As Ann Coulter well documents in her book "Treason," this latest traitorous disclosure is just one more in a long list of post-WWII transgressions by the NYT nitwits. The Old Gray Lady needs to be dead and buried, and Keller and his ilk jailed.

Monsoon

Posted by: Monsoon at June 27, 2006 8:12 AM

If this sort of thing went on during WW II, they would have been prosecuted then shot by firing squad along with the person(s) who gave the information to the press. Funny how media outlets like the NY Times thinks its important to expose leaks in the Valerie Plame case but they feel free to release information that actively assists those who want to kill Americans and anyone else who wont worship Allah.

Can you imagine what would have happened if in 1942-1945 the NY Times had printed an article detailing radio communication intercepts of Nazi and Japanese communication and the fact we had broken their codes and how it was done?

Posted by: General Jack D. Ripper at June 27, 2006 8:28 AM

Why does the government suck so hard at keeping secrets? I mean if the NYT knew about it than other people where going to know about it. All of that cloak and dagger crap is really quite useless without the cloak.

Just as a side note... never thought I would see someone actually use Ann Coulter as a "reference". That gave me a good laugh. That's just as bad as my mother using Al Frankin in a discussion about taxation. That statement actually made me snarf champagne.

Posted by: Nick at June 27, 2006 9:15 AM

Here's a plan.. may seem a bit out there...

What about finding out who told the NYT, and to squeeze in a cliche, why shoot the messenger? Do you think if they did not exist the source of this info would have walked off with 'Ah well, NYT is no more, maybe I'll keep this a secret'

Posted by: Shoot the messenger at June 27, 2006 9:53 AM

"... Ann Coulter as a 'reference'." Hey Nick. The book is footnoted in its entirety to well document the left's anti-American antics over the last 50 years, including the NYT. While I don't swear by everything Coulter says or writes, she does back up her main points with established historical fact, which the left did its best to bury and deny. Good read, anyway.

Monsoon

Posted by: Monsoon at June 27, 2006 12:16 PM

As for "shooting the messenger", the NY Times is an accesory to the crime of treason. What the NY Times should have done was turn over the name of the person who leaked the information to the DOJ.

Everyone knows the New York Times will use every opportunity to take shots at the current administration whenever it can; even if it means Americans might die as a result of it. Unless there are bombs going off daily in the streets of America, the NY Times will continue aiding and abetting traitors. Even then they might not stop. They may be that demented.

Posted by: General Jack D. Ripper at June 27, 2006 12:24 PM

Usually the American public is amongest the lLAST to know about these things"exposed" by the NYT. Do you think the people of Iraq had not heard rumors about what was going on at abu Ghraib before the first photos came out ?

Posted by: JOHN RYAN at June 27, 2006 4:18 PM

Sure he would. sure look better in a stripes with
balls and chains for treason, Much better then our marines who they have in them for killing the enemy. you know the one,s that john murtha democrat pa lied about.

Posted by: gene at June 27, 2006 7:48 PM

I think anyone who is proven to be guilty of treason should be put infront of a Firing Squad and Shot! No matter who you are.

Posted by: SGT Wise at June 28, 2006 9:49 AM

Wonder how low the nyt stock will sink after this mess. Financial suicide--right in front of our eyes. Make sure to put pressure on advertisers of the this treasonous rag.

Posted by: nikko at June 28, 2006 11:19 AM

As a graduate of the UCSC Psychology Department (College 8--1974), I was naturally upset to learn of Dr. Denton's dramatic suicide--a selfish act which adversely affects not only the Banana Slugs, but the entire University Community of America. There is no excuse for suicide--especially over material things. This is just another example of a person living in the spiritual vacuum of a material world who was caught up in a web of self-deceit and secular delusionism. A part of me feels compassion for her plight, and I'm not one to judge another--I have too many faults of my own. But my advice to those who consider following in her footsteps is this: when you you feel compassed about by the minions of the spirit of darkness, and you're peering over the edge of the precipice and feel there is nowhere else to go but over the edge and into the abyss, try Jesus! What do you have to lose?----Dennis ✝ ✟ ✝

Posted by: Dennis at June 28, 2006 3:28 PM