« Democratic Congressman Calls for Immediate Unconditional Surrender to Al-Qaeda in Iraq | Main | Republicans Call Dems' Bluff on Surrender to Al-Qaeda »

November 18, 2005

Professor Attempts to Squelch Student Speech, Urges Treason and Murder

How far has academia progressed toward the left-wing totalitarianism pointy-headed professors advocate imposing on America? Even closer than you might think, to judge by a recent incident at Warren Community College in Washington, NJ. Yesterday Freedom Folks reported that

Rebecca Beach, a Warren freshman, received a nasty surprise in response to her e-mail to faculty announcing the appearance of decorated Iraq war hero, Lt. Col. Scott Rutter, to speak today.

Professor John Daly replied to her email. His unedited reply can be read in its entirety here. A couple of highlights:

I am asking my students to boycott your event. I am also going to ask others to boycott it. Your literature and signs in the entrance lobby look like fascist propaganda and is extremely offensive.

Yes, the guy who wrote "your literature and signs ... is extremely offensive" is a college professor. There follows the standard spoilt teenager's rant on the evils of America and economic freedom, capped off with this:

I will continue to expose your right-wing, anti-people politics until groups like your won't dare show their face on a college campus. Real freedom will come when soldiers in Iraq turn their guns on their superiors and fight for just causes and for people's needs — such freedom fighters can be counted throughout American history and they certainly will be counted again.

Signed, "Prof. John Daly."

If you have kids in school, this will give you an idea of what the inflated tuition bills are helping to pay for: the salaries of subliterate kooks who use their authority to squash "incorrect" speech and who openly advocate murder and treason. Ward Churchill is just the tip of the iceberg — or the tip of the dunghill, to use a more appropriate metaphor.

By the way, the signs that according to Daly "is extremely offensive" are apparently the same ones that can be downloaded as PDFs suitable for printing out and distributing as fliers here. They make some good points:

FreedomWeek1.jpg

FreedomWeek2.jpg

FreedomWeek3.jpg

With thanks to V the K.

Posted by Van Helsing at November 18, 2005 01:15 PM

Comments

Ther college has posted this:

Posted by: ex-expat at November 18, 2005 01:38 PM

He's an ENGLISH professor, to make it worse...

Posted by: Pauly at November 18, 2005 02:08 PM

A part-time one at that. Even if he used his personal e-mail for the exchange with the student, he appears to have used his position at the college to advance his aims, and that is crossing the line.

Recalling a thought from my college days, the line that seperates the freedom for one person to speak and another not to is uncomfortably thin.

Posted by: ex-expat at November 18, 2005 02:22 PM

Welcome to the life of the typical conservative/libertarian undergrad student. At least he put it in writing - the cardinal sin for liberal faculty. Now he can be nailed with it.

Posted by: Josh at November 18, 2005 02:40 PM

Seems quite the hornet's nest has been stirred up. The Warren Community College website can no longer (by me at least) be accessed.

PS to Pauly. If you can write, thank your english teacher/professor ;-)

Posted by: ex-expat at November 18, 2005 02:41 PM

Personally, I'd rather thank my parents for any english skills I may possess. After a couple dozen college english classes, I can detect no noticeable improvement in the quality of my writing. Caffeine does more to improve my writing than a BA in English did. I want my tuition back.

Posted by: Josh at November 18, 2005 04:14 PM

Some days I'm proud that I'm not college educated

;)

Posted by: Junker at November 18, 2005 11:44 PM

Heh, I was just going to say how "proud" I am to have been a product of the public education system through college. So. Proud.

On a positive note, my wife is on the faculty of a 'small liberal arts college' that actually bosts a high percentage of conservative faculty... it may be darn near 40%.

Posted by: The MaryHunter at November 19, 2005 08:19 AM

Holy smokes, 40%, that’s something of an anomaly, no?

Posted by: Junker at November 19, 2005 12:34 PM